PDA

View Full Version : Oil in coolant

valerit1
06-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Did someone have this experience - I see some oil in the
overflow tank, and a few small drops floating in the radiator.
Never added anything to the coolant, the drops are brown, not red like transmission fluid. Nothing in the motor oil (I drained it),
the oil cap is clean inside. NO problems with the car whatsoever - idles and runs great. Just some oil in the coolant. Anyone had it like this (long term?)?
Thanks,

Val

dj99
06-08-2002, 11:32 AM
I had a similar experience. When I changed out the thermostat/gasket, I squeezed the spring on the old one, and had oil come out onto my hands. Like you said, no other problems to speak of.

If you flush your coolant, and the oil comes back, I would think that would be an indication of a head gasket leak? Usually, it's the other way around, with coolant in the oil, due to the pressure?

Anybody have an opinion?

Lester Lugnut
06-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Oil in coolant - coolant in oil - either can be an indication of a leaking/blown head gasket or a cracked head.

I'd drain and flush the system well, then refill with fresh coolant; then monitor things.

Did you by chance add something like Bars Leak or have the cooling system serviced? Sometimes garages will add a product like this to seal up small cooling system leaks. This stuff gives the appearance of oil in the coolant.

If you have a combustion type head gasket leak, you'll see bubbles inisde the raeiator neck with the cap off. Park car on a level surface, let it cool down - sit overnight. Remove radiator cap. Top up if necessary, but not all the way up. Start car. Watch down inside the radiator neck. If you see bubbling, the head gasket is leaking or blown.

POS carb
06-09-2002, 10:11 PM
if the oil is OK and the radiator doesn't get any buildup then forget it and keep driving.

Now if you start getting a film on the cap that looks kind of like milk fat then your radiator is mixing your trans fluid with your coolant and u probably need a new radiator