PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 06:58 PM
someone today told me that if i replace my head gasket......

the head is aluminum and will warp as soon as i take it off and that i will need to get it machined after i take it off....itll cost like 400 they said....is this true???help???

cruznz
06-22-2003, 07:23 PM
the head will warp if its overheated.........there's a sequence for removing/replacing head as well, so as not to warp head, but in most case's, its the heat that does it..........

400 bucks to get it machined!!!!!!!!!!!.....what a ripoff.......cost me $NZ 50 to get 1 done here, but i stripped it down myself so that saved time and money

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 07:33 PM
(In my opinion) You might want a second opinion though.

It's made out of aluminum because aluminum is actually stronger than you think. Your head won't warp, be realistic, it takes a pounding from extreme heat, like 200 degrees clear up to even 300 degrees on hot days, it's not going to warp when taken off the block. The only way it would probably warp is if it was not taken off in the right bolt sequence or put on with right torque specification or put back on in wrong bolt sequence. Refer to your Godly Haynes Book, the best $15 you'll spend!

I helped a friend change a head gasket on his 94 civic and he didn't have his head refinished and his car runs fine and doesn't leak anymore.

Do you realize how much work it takes to change your head gasket and that (all are a must) You have to drain your oil, remove spark plugs and wires, disconnect distributor, scrape your old gaskets off, clean the edges, reapply brand new gaskets to your exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, egr gasket, valve cover gasket, valve cover grommets, torque your head and everything to stock ratios, change timing belt because what's another $20, and redo your timing which isn't easy, and then refill your oil, and hook up all electrical connections when done. All this work will take a whole day or 2 days if you have a couple guys helping you. Just do everything right the first time. Because if the timing isn't done exactly right, your valves will smack into your pistons and there goes your engine.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but I was going change my head gasket, but figured I would only do it, if it were a necessity.

Any questions just let me know.

79EK1
06-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Take the head off when the engine is cold. Start with the outer most head bolts and criss-cross your way to the center. The head will warp if grossly overheated, or if it was incorrectly torqued when installed. Removing it isn't as much of a problem. Once the head is off, you can check it for flatness and decide if it needs resurfacing.

$400 sounds like a lot for resurfacing (assuming you're going to remove the head and bring it to the machine shop). If that quote included a complete valve job, then it's not so bad.

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 07:36 PM
thats what i thought!!!!!!!!!!!

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 07:37 PM
My other friend has an eclipse and he only paid $25 for refinishing, it only took five minutes.

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 07:39 PM
On ebay you can get a head gasket set for $50. Check into it.

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 08:05 PM
i have the gasket.

25 bucks?> where?

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Do you have Exhaust manifold gasket, Intake manifold gasket, valve cover gasket? You will emperatively need them.

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 08:18 PM
why would i need all those? im only leaking oil from above my exhaust manny from the head gasket.

do i have to pull the engine out for this?

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Because you will break the seal of all the gaskets when you remove the head from the block. Gaskets are manditorily used for one using. Refer to your Haynes manual. Trust me.

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 08:29 PM
fuuuuck. do i have to pull the engine though...

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:32 PM
No, just everything else. It will take you a total of at least 12+ hours because you have never done this before. But like I said, get a second opinion so you will see I'm right. Do you have a Haynes manual?

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Forgot to tell you, you have to drain your radiator, and your powersteering fluid will leak too! Like I said lots of money and time. Go to a mechanic and ask him how much he'll charge you, then you will see how much work it really is.

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:36 PM
And you have to remove your a/c pump, water pump to change or remove your timing belt too!

3G Jester
06-22-2003, 08:41 PM
yeah i already started that shit. im drained and slowly removing everything. im pretty much down to the head. i heard about the potential warping and freaked. i didnt wanna continue

cruznz
06-22-2003, 08:41 PM
hmmm.....now this sounds like you're leaking oil from the rocker cover not the head gasket,....would this be right??????

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:44 PM
You mean the valve cover? The rockers are inside the valve cover.

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 08:45 PM
cruznz,

He needs to change all gaskets, am I right?

cruznz
06-22-2003, 08:59 PM
if its just the valve cover gasket leaking,...thats all he changes

BITESIZE
06-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Yeah, 3G jester, make sure it really is leaking from the head, but if you're already tearing everything off, keep going.