PDA

View Full Version : engine shudder

thirdgenonly
06-23-2003, 05:18 AM
hi guys on my brothers SE-I when you drive you can feel a shudder almost like a spark plug isn't pluged in i can't figure out what it is.it's off the road now so i can work on it while he uses my 86 ex-i. i really need to find out what this problem is :confused:

thanks
chris

AccordEpicenter
06-23-2003, 09:57 AM
is it only when you try to accelerate or when the cars sitting or all the time?

thirdgenonly
06-25-2003, 09:39 AM
only when accelerateing it shudders and wont g to a higher rpm than whe its started, my dad told me it just needs to be driven. alot, it hasent because we've been restoring it

Akord89
06-26-2003, 05:43 PM
hey when you accelerate does it shudder between 3 - 31/2 rpm
couse if thats the case i need help too

AccordEpicenter
06-29-2003, 09:07 AM
ive had an accord that when youd try to accelerate, it would shudder, and the tranny was burnt up badly... make sure its not the tranny, smell your tranny dipstick, if it smells burnt then thats your prob

88 Accord DX
06-29-2003, 09:48 AM
check to make sure all cylinders are fireing
check A/F ratio
check plugs and gaps
check plug wires

Akord89
07-02-2003, 01:12 PM
i have a rebulit tranny, new spark plugs and wires, i changes the fuel filter about 3 months ago. the only thing i can think of is the fuel pump.!!!!! do you guys think that that might be the problem?

3G Jester
07-03-2003, 12:07 AM
check all that stuff 88accord DX listed any way. even if they are new....stuff does fail. [thats why there are warentees!!!]

could be your fuel pump/mix. but i dont see how that would produce a big shudder--i would THINK that it would be just a power loss in that case....

3G Jester
07-03-2003, 12:29 AM
also...could be working correctly....maybe just a loose spark plug wire or something simple.

Akord89
07-07-2003, 05:43 PM
I have not had a chance to check the list, but thank you I'll check later

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-07-2003, 05:59 PM
When my car was stuttering real bad on acceleration, you know what it was? Grease! On the spark plugs, in those little 'ribs' in the white porcelain part (on the outside, not inside the cyl). The firing end of the plugs was fine. When I had them out previously, I got some thick ass grease from my dirty ass fingers in those little ribs and forgot to wipe it off. Under load, the spark was arching and jumping from the spark plug to the cylinder head. When I opened the hood at night and looked, I could see all the little blue streaks going "zap, zap zap, zap zap zap!". So of course you know that would cause a major misfire. I just replaced the plugs since they are cheap, problem completely solved. New wires, dist cap and rotor wouldn't hurt anything either though

:)

thirdgenonly
07-13-2003, 12:50 PM
and when i shudders the engine light comes on i'm gonna try wiping off the plugs and i just changed the tranny fluid it was a shit brown colour
8er

Legend-H-88
08-10-2003, 07:48 PM
sometimes its the most overlooked problem, check the fireing order, you said its been restored maybe you crossed a plugwire. i did that when i put my new engine in, yeah it ran but awfully damn confused about 1 an 4 cylinders shhok like hell

Vinny
08-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Also check when the fuel filter was changed last, sometimes they restrict flow at certain ranges, least thats what I have found on other vehicles in the past that would spudder and hessitate at certain rpm ranges then when you got just a touch higher on the rpm's they's run fine

Dibbs
08-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by thirdgenonly
and when i shudders the engine light comes on

Does your engine light only come then go off right before the engine shudders? That's the problem I've got w/ my car and I don't know what the hell is goin' on.