PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt question

rideredorgohome
06-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Was talking to a buddy today and told him about the fact that I was going to my uncles place this weekend to do some work on my car. Told him that I was changing the timing belt and water pump and he mentioned something about there being 2 timing belts in our Accords. I told him no way, but he said he thought so because he changed his mom's accords' belt and there was two in there. He also had a 3g 'Lude previously. I didn't see any mention of two belts in my Haynes manual, so what gives? If I need another one please let me know, I will need to order another one before Saturday rolls around....:confused:

wthramann
06-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Only one in 3Gs. 90-97 2 belts (except 6cyl). Suggest replacing alternator, power steering and A/C compressor belts. Have fun.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Yea all the F22's (90+ Accords) used a second belt called a balancer belt. It spins [balancer shaft] in the opposite direction of the crank to counterbalance vibrations and helps keep everything smooth

DBMaster
06-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Think that's bad. The 2.3l VTEC motor in our van has a timing belt and TWO balancer belts.

pimp86LX
06-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Think that's bad. The 2.3l VTEC motor in our van has a timing belt and TWO balancer belts.

My buick has a balance shaft and a "harmonically balanced" drive pully

DBMaster
06-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Pimp, your avatar is hilarious! Anyway, I have to at least give Honda credit on the 2.3l motor. It idles smooth as glass. Better than my 89 Accord at its best. The procedure for aligning the balance shafts during a belt change looks pretty complicated in the shop manual so when the time comes I might even opt to pay to get it done. At least it's only every 110,000 miles.

AccordEpicenter
06-24-2003, 01:30 PM
on ours, honda reccomends every 60k miles, but you should be ok until 90-100k. Ive seen people get away with 150k miles but you never know when its gonna blow.... just get it changed.

DBMaster
06-24-2003, 01:58 PM
I was actually told by more than one Honda shop that in 89 the recommendation was changed to 90K miles. I don't know that they actually changed anything about the belt itself. Maybe they just learned by experience. I know that 90K is not a problem on my car.

wthramann
06-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Interesting. The Service Manual for 1988 does not list an inspection or replacement interval but I had always heard 60K. Being a mild mannered driver I have pushed it to 75K each time and the belt has never looked worn.

grocerygetter
06-24-2003, 05:04 PM
my belt only has 64,000 on it. but its the original belt, so that makes it about 14 years old. kinda worries me to rev it until i get it changed.

AccordEpicenter
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
well take the timing cover off, if the belt looks cracked or fraying then replace it, if its ok, then rev the piss out of it, you wont hurt anything. If i were you i wouldnt worry about a thing until 90k miles unless the belt is shot.

DBMaster
06-24-2003, 08:01 PM
From what I know, when the car is as old as ours you want to pull the top part of the cover periodically (like when doing the valve adjustment) so you can check the belt condition. The worst problem would be oil getting on the belt from bad cam or crank seals. That kills it fast.

I changed mine the first time at 70K miles because I didn't know any better. The old belt looked about like the new belt, but I hear that you can't tell much from the looks alone.

A Honda shop I trust says 90-100K miles for mine so I am OK to go with that. It's whatever makes you feel comfortable, I guess. It's about $120 in parts if you do it yourself and that includes the water pump, thermostat, and all three accessory belts. I have not ever changed my idler pulley, but I hear some like to do that as well.