PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump or main relay?

buish
06-23-2003, 05:47 PM
ok, i attempted today to go do some errands, and go start my car. usual cranking, but when i press on the gas pedal, nothing happen. rpm does not jump up. so i thought throttle cable was loose, and went and tighten it up and try again, and still, cranking, but no fuel, rpm not moving. had my dad try to start it up, while i look at the carb, and i didn't see any gas come out. people talk about listening for clicks when turning the key, and i definitely hear 1 click, but not sure if i hear the 2nd click.

plugs changed 6 months ago, wires-cap-rotor 1.5 years ago, coil just replaced to accel 3 weeks ago, battery is fine-radio and headlights work. fuel filters changed 6 months and 1 month ago.

been searching through all the previous threads, and wonder if the main relay is fried or the fuel pump crap out on me? or maybe something else? any help appreciated.

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-24-2003, 05:04 AM
sounds like what happend to me. the story even starts the same way. mine is an lx-i, but still, it sounds like what happend to mine. most likely it is the fuel pump, that's what i'm gonna replace when i can get the part.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-24-2003, 09:28 AM
i have the same problem.. starts sometimes, but after I turn it off it wont start again until the fuel pumps cools down... The filter needs to be replaced also.

buish
06-24-2003, 10:41 AM
my problem is when i push down on the gas pedal, nothing happens. no fuel gets delivered. i just the fuel filter in the engine bay about 6 months ago, and the one under the gas tank about 1 month ago. i doubt they are dirty that fast.

with your starting problems, does it happen in cold or hot weather? normally with my car in cold weather, if i don't let it warm up to operating tempatures before taking off, i have a really hard time starting it back up again if i am only going a short distance, say to get gas or buy things. i've had this problem for the longest time, but its not that big of deal to me. i think people said before in threads that it was mainly an ignition problem.

dXsquared
06-24-2003, 10:52 AM
you have cold weather in CA???? wow!
i bet your definition of cold weather is way different than my cold weather!

Travis

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by buish
my problem is when i push down on the gas pedal, nothing happens. no fuel gets delivered. i just the fuel filter in the engine bay about 6 months ago, and the one under the gas tank about 1 month ago. i doubt they are dirty that fast.

with your starting problems, does it happen in cold or hot weather? normally with my car in cold weather, if i don't let it warm up to operating tempatures before taking off, i have a really hard time starting it back up again if i am only going a short distance, say to get gas or buy things. i've had this problem for the longest time, but its not that big of deal to me. i think people said before in threads that it was mainly an ignition problem.

Well At first I thought that my starter was going..but that was months ago.. The motor would turn over but would not start..only after 5-6 minutes then it would start.. Then I replaced all the wires & plugs, but the problem still continued.. All the time I never really bothered to check why my gas milege was so bad. A full tank of gas would not even last the whole weekend..So today I started the car on the first try, but after drving around for about 15 minutes I turned it off. 40 minutes later It did not want to start, so I checked the ignition and I had plenty of spark. Then I realized that the fuel filter has not been replaced in almost two years..So I am hoping that problem is either the pump or filter.. As for the weather.. The car started when he wanted too, Hot or cold, wet or dry..

buish
06-24-2003, 07:58 PM
came back from pick-n-pull today with an integra lip and main relay. swap main relay in, and same thing. then i noticed the wire to my ignition coil was not on, but i am pretty sure it was on yesterday. that was the problem. just adjusted throttle cable and idle screw back to normal.

going back to pick-n-pull to return lip to get lxi console.

ProtoVivanta
06-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
Well At first I thought that my starter was going..but that was months ago.. The motor would turn over but would not start..only after 5-6 minutes then it would start

I have a similar situation. I replaced the main relay but the problem remains.

DanLXI88
06-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Could the main Relay being bad cause the batt to drain?

DanLXI88
06-18-2006, 08:50 AM
BUMP!

FYI This can be bought at NAPA Auto Parts. Part number is AR333.

EricW
06-18-2006, 10:51 AM
The thread is almost 3 years old

DanLXI88
06-18-2006, 11:03 AM
The thread is almost 3 years old

True.. and our cars are even older but the problems are still the same..Then and now..

DanLXI88
06-25-2006, 04:12 PM
FYI to all.. Yes this can cause the Batt to be drained and destroy the batt. Replaced this and it's all good.:rockon: