PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna Be The Moderator For This Section

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 10:26 PM
well... bob is never here.. and i know a helluva lot about car audio... i really wanna be a mod... at least for a little bit... you guys can even make me pass a car audio knowlege test or somthing.. i really wanna be a mod for this section

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 10:30 PM
i know alot about car audio too so if you want a test i can give you one. or maybe we could share mod status. then we could take over the world!!!

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 10:33 PM
aight then! i dont mind sharing this section... but there are a shit load of others that know alot about car audio.. but how many are on almost everyday!??!!!???!

Travis

87DXHatch
06-23-2003, 10:36 PM
To be perfectly frank with you, I don't think you would make a good car audio mod here. You simply don't know enough. Sorry.

At one point in time I thought about talking to the administration about if I could be one, but I'm rarely on the board anymore, even though when I am on it's in the car audio section.

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 10:38 PM
i dont know enuff? ask me a question.. and your the guy i was thinkin of when it came to knowing alot... but you arent here too much

Travis

87DXHatch
06-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Ok, here's a basic one, what is the purpose of the fuse on the main power wire from the battery to the amp(s)?

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 10:43 PM
yeah well fuck you Dave. how do you know what me and travis know or dont know. you don't know do you?

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
i was just joking in my last post dont get all offensive on me.

the fuse is to keep too much power from blowing your shit up.

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
if you get a power surge from your alt. if will send too many amps down the power line and it will melt the wire and maybe even damage your amp. you put the fuse as close to the battery as posible so that if a surge doesnt happen to occur, you wont have a melted wire traveling through your car that could cause a fire...

HOW IS THAT??

Travis

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 10:47 PM
yeah Travis' explanation is a little long and technical while mine is short and to the point. but either way we win

87DXHatch
06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
88 Accord DX is not correct, DXHATCHBACK is pretty close...

It's there to prevent fires is the big point, not to protect your amps. So the fuse you have in there should be for the wire thickness, not your amps power ratings. It protects the wire, not from alternator surges, but simply from amp's shorting, wires shorting, essentially shorts in general.

I could go on, but it's late and I work at 9 tomorrow. Sorry if I didn't give you the vote of confidence on this one, but good luck either way.

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 10:52 PM
i was gonna say that you use a fuse that matches the amperage handling of the wire.. but i didnt... and yah... i said fire

Travis

3G Jester
06-23-2003, 10:54 PM
:stick:

ask the current mods...i aint touchin this one with a 20 foot pole.

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 10:55 PM
uh if you have 1200 watts of power going through an 8 guage wire, the first thing thats gonna go is whatever is on the recieveing end. that being the amp. once the amp is fried the power has no where to go therefore burning the wire, causing mass histeria and total chaos.

3G Jester
06-23-2003, 10:56 PM
moderator statrus isnt also just knowledge its customer service.

can you be here all the time to baby sit and make sure there isnt obscene flaming going on? that all users arre being treated fairly? ya theres gonna be flaming but can you handel predjeduce and other 'major' issues? ban members? its all PR man.

87DXHatch
06-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Ok, some more, and I'm really off:

An amp says it has a power rating of 900 watts peak, what is it's RMS?

One sealed enclosure has a QTC. alignment of .9, and another has a QTC alignment of .6, which will have "tighter" bass?

When porting, if you increase the sq. inches of port, what happens to the required length of the port?

Can too little power blow a sub/speaker?

Is rear fill a good thing?

;)

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 10:57 PM
well... i dont want you as a partner anymore... watts dont come from teh batery... its amperage that ruins thin wire... watts are from the speaker outs on the amp...

Travis

MrBen
06-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Travis no offense but I think that TJ89Accord should be. He is knowlegable and helped me, and was a big help. He was to the point, and that made a big difference.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?threadid=19304

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 11:03 PM
here we go:
1. depends on the amp
2. fuck if i know
3. short fat long skinny
4. no, too much clipping blows speakers
5. yes rear fill is good or you start leaning forward and hit your head on the dash :D

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 11:06 PM
i dont want you as a partner either. in fact i dont wanna be a damn mod. i would much rather know alot and not be a mod than know alot and be a mod. if your a mod your expected to know alot so if you slip up your in deep shit.

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 11:09 PM
1. RMS can could be many values... it depends on the stability of the amp, like how many ohms you have to run the amp at for it to make 900 watts peak. lets just say it is stable to 1 ohm mono

usually the RMS is 40 percent of the max power. most manufacturers claim it is higher.

2. the lower the number of QTC the slopier the bass will be... .7 is the recomended QTC when building an all around box

3. when you increase the sq. inches of the port, you will also need to lengthen the port

4. yes it can
if you make an amp "clip" a subwoofer for too long, this can casue the vc to heat up and blow the subwoofer...

5. rear fill is a personal preference. some people like only having 2 speakers in the front because it gives a more LIVE UDIO feel then with 4 or more speakers.. usually the people with 2 speakers in the front are satisfid with having the subwoofers "fill" the rear stage

Travis

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 11:12 PM
while we are on the help subject, tell me why my head unit stays on for exactly 30 seconds after i turn my car off.

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 11:12 PM
oh yah.. im on here alot... like almost everyday.. and people dont fight in the audio section.. lol

Travis

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 11:14 PM
well.. its the head units design... they make it so that you can shut the car off then after take your CD out and put a ne one in.. my kenwood stays powered up enuff to eject and recive a cd for 10 minutes after power has been off

Travis

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 11:22 PM
nope thats not it. i can take out and put in a new CD at anytime i want. but if i turn off the car and take out the key, the head unit will stay on and play music for exactly 30 seconds and its not the deck. this dude down the street has the same deck and told me it doesnt do that. i always thought it was the deck too until he told me that. personally i like it cuz you can listen to music as you walk away from the car but i just wanna know what i did to make it do that.

88 Accord DX
06-23-2003, 11:25 PM
ah well im goin to bed too. im kinda crabby cuz im out of mountain dew.

dXsquared
06-23-2003, 11:26 PM
what is your remote turn on lead conected to? did you just use the stock wires for the car??

Travis

MrBen
06-23-2003, 11:31 PM
Faulty ignition switch? Stuck relay?

88LXi68
06-24-2003, 09:28 AM
In my opinion you shouldn't ask to become a moderator. The Admin team will ask you.

dXsquared
06-24-2003, 10:13 AM
yah.. i dunno what i was thinkin... oh well... lol...

Travis

87DXHatch
06-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
1. RMS can could be many values... it depends on the stability of the amp, like how many ohms you have to run the amp at for it to make 900 watts peak. lets just say it is stable to 1 ohm mono

usually the RMS is 40 percent of the max power. most manufacturers claim it is higher.

2. the lower the number of QTC the slopier the bass will be... .7 is the recomended QTC when building an all around box

3. when you increase the sq. inches of the port, you will also need to lengthen the port

4. yes it can
if you make an amp "clip" a subwoofer for too long, this can casue the vc to heat up and blow the subwoofer...

5. rear fill is a personal preference. some people like only having 2 speakers in the front because it gives a more LIVE UDIO feel then with 4 or more speakers.. usually the people with 2 speakers in the front are satisfid with having the subwoofers "fill" the rear stage

Travis

Apparently you did some homework after you initially answered my questions ;)

1. RMS of a peak 900 watt amp is 450 watts, no matter what they say. If it isn't 450 watts, then the peak power isn't 900 watts, it's that simple. RMS is Root Mean Square, AKA, half peak wattage.

2. You're incorrect here... the lower the QTC alignment, the TIGHTER the bass will be. .707 is usually the ideal alignment most people shoot for with their sealed boxes because it is one of the best mixes of accuracy and loudness. Under that alignment things get "tighter" and "drier" and above that alignment things get "boomier"... but you have to change the QTC by I believe 20% to hear a noticable difference.

But in actuality, the question was a trick one. QTC means next to nothing because it totally changes when placed in a car environment.

3. Good to see you change your answer here, at first you were wrong, but now you got it... the more sq. inches of port, the longer it has to be for the desired tune.

4. No no no nononononononoonono! Too little power can NEVER kill a speaker, never never never! THAT was my original question. HOWEVER, clipping is another story. If you have a sub with an RMS rating of 500 watts, and you put a 50 watt RMS amp on it, there is no way you can kill the sub, gains cranked, anything. No way, even with clipping. However, if you have a 500 watt RMS sub, with a 500 watt RMS amp, then you can kill the sub fairly easily if you crank the gains and listen to it really loud.

There has been much debate on this subject, and there probably will continue to be some, but too little power will *NEVER* kill a speaker.

5. When you have rear fill, you are actually hearing LESS than if you just ran front speakers. CDs are recorded in stereo sound... how many channels does it take to reproduce stereo sound? Two. If you look at the phasing of the sound that hits your ears in car, with just your front two speakers it will stay considerably more in phase than when you add the pathways of two rear speakers.

That's it in a nutshell, I could type a hell of a lot more, but I won't. Also, if you have time correction (found in upper Alpine and Pioneer units) then you can equalize the pathways resulting in a more in phase and thus better sounding system, but most people don't have it.

Travis, you definitely know more than Joe Blow about car audio, but I don't think you have enough overall knowledge about it to perform that part of the moderator duty. And like it was mentioned earlier, there is a lot more to modding than just knowing information.

Have a nice day :wave:

88 Accord DX
06-24-2003, 12:09 PM
im Joe Blow!!!

btw time correction kicks ass!!

accordlx
06-24-2003, 06:17 PM
I understand that a couple of people that post here in this section probably have the knowledge to be a moderator. There is an element to moderaton that envolves being somewhat diplomatic. As earlier posted it seems that there is some customer service envolved in being a moderator. That is true. I do not claim to know more about car stereo than many of you but I know generally when someone posts something that is incorrect just as 88 Accord DX did. Someone went in behind him and corrected his error. I dont necessarily like the way he came back at 87DXHatch but he apologized publically so as long as 87DXHatch is ok with the apology, Im fine with it. I understand that Bob has not been around a lot lately but that is because of his work schedule. He has a family to support. I have a job that requres me to travel at least 3 days a week so I dont get on here as much as I would like to. I generally check the board daily to put out fires or flaming wars or for technical mistakes but you guys generally take care of this section for us. I dont post a lot due to my schedule but if you check the daily vistors, I am here most every day. I think that Bob checks the board as much as his time allows him to. We greatly appreciate it when one of you guys jumps in to answer a question for someone. Many people here are unoffical moderators because you take care of business the way it should be. Moderation for this section is not so much answering the technical questions because you guys do it for us, it is about just making sure that business is taken care of. If every section of this board ran as smoothly as this one did, the board would not even need a single moderator, it would run itself.

sanjay
06-24-2003, 06:27 PM
umm... I think accordlx is absolutely right. But I also don't see the harm in TRAVIS becoming a mod. I know it's not my board, and not my place, but if he's on here everyday and gives sound advice and doesn't cause tension (88 accord dx) then is there a big problem?

The real test, TRAVIS, is you being able to give sound advice, fast and direct. I know that when I was first getting into the audio there were a lot of answers to my questions that were fielded by non mods.

I think what accordlx was trying to get at is, - you're an unofficial mod. Are you wanting to become a mod because of the status and the little pic in the avatar or is it because you genuinely want to help people. - Personally i think its the former, but like accord lx said, wait for the mods to reach you, not for you to yelp and scream and post a poll.

Just my 2 cents - sanjay

dXsquared
06-24-2003, 06:35 PM
well... i just want to become a MOD because i believe that i have what it takes and i believe that i could help alot of people... yes i am an un offishal moderator, but that little picture under my name is a big thing. people start asking you for info and you become more and more relied on and trusted. i dont know why i made this poll, but i guess i really just want to have a responsibility.

Travis

od2681
06-24-2003, 08:10 PM
well this was a first..:lol:

88 Accord DX
06-24-2003, 08:20 PM
do i really come off as agressive. i guess you could percieve it as agression when i say "fuck you bitch" but if you heard be talk in real life and i said that to you, you would know i was just playing. ive never been mad at anyone on this board and if i ever did get mad at anyone, i would say somthing more than "fuck you". i guess its just the way i am. hell me and my friends say hi by flipping each other off. i was just brought up violently and i guess i expect people around me to know that when they dont. ill try to tone it down but its alot like containing exhaust gas. sooner or later its gonna explode or die.

markmdz89hatch
06-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
well... i just want to become a MOD because i believe that i have what it takes and i believe that i could help alot of people... yes i am an un offishal moderator, but that little picture under my name is a big thing. people start asking you for info and you become more and more relied on and trusted. i dont know why i made this poll, but i guess i really just want to have a responsibility.

Travis

I'll be polite. You want to be a mod b/c you think you could help a lot of people. Well, in my opinion, that's a quality that a moderator should have, but one quality that everyone here should demonstrate most, if not all, the time on the board. If you want a different picture under your name, and you want to help the board out, as you clearly say you do, then let's start off with it saying "foundation member". True, the more helpful you are, and the more leadership qualities you demontrate will gain trust and dedication. However, trust is a quality that once you not only gain, but (partially in your case) command, you have to back it up. Trust is gained by fulfilling the promises and responsibilites that you ask of others. There, I'll very confidently say, is where you're lacking tremendously. Sparing others of details, I'll remind you of a sale transaction of which I fullfilled my responsibilities of over 3 months ago, and you have yet to do the same. (No, I still do not have it yet.) Now, everyone makes mistakes, and everyone should be forgiven for those to an extent. But, when a pattern of mistrust begins to take shape, forgiveness is no longer an easy option. And, again, this makes the second transaction, in which you negated your responsibilities, so trust is no longer something that I can extend to you.

It really comes down to what Accordlx was saying. There's a lot of people on this board that know what they're talking about, and many that are willing to extend a helping hand to a fellow member. That's good, that's what makes this board so effective. To be elected a moderatorship should not be solely based on their competence in that area of the board, but more-so on their ability to effectively maintain a peacefull, trouble free, helpfull, environment.

There will always be someone who knows more then the other, that's just a fact of life. But, it's how you handle that knowledge that determines the level of respect that others extend.

I'm done. Sorry for the long post guys.

Trav, I don't doubt that you're a good kid, or that you know a lot about car audio, but you fall short in the leadership qualities IMO. Take on only the responsibilities that you can handle.

shepherd79
06-29-2003, 04:12 AM
can someone delete this post. this is BS.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Well I will for one have to say that I don't think people should ask or demand to be a mod of have a thread made to have a poll on it. And I feel that a mod has to help the site and be active, be knowledgable, and help the site. And I think that the person has to be a true member as well. I'm not putting anybody down that can't afford the donation or whatever I'm just saying that a moderator is supposed to help the site and smooth everthing out, and the donation helps the site stay on the internet. And I also think the person would have to be honest and a man or woman of his/her word. I think be noble is a good thing. Take A20A1 for an example. He didn't know he was going to be a moderator, and he sure didn't ask to be one. Many people know a great deal of information that help the site run well. You don't need the name badge under your name to help people. I think if a person knows how to help someone's problem and is able to help them he/she should do that. That's all I have to say about this subject.