PDA

View Full Version : fuel troubles

staticpat
06-08-2002, 02:23 PM
the car isn't getting any fuel. the filter near the carb is clean, and if youi feed it gas the car runs. hoping my fuel pump isn't bad. i took off the rear tire to check the other filter but can't figure out how to get it off. ill probably get it before i get a reply, but if anyone can help please do. my main question is.. how can get at and check the pump to make sure its okay, the manual isn't helpful in the least. thanks so much.

also how much is it gonna be for a new rear fuel filter? how about a new fuel pump? thanks

SteveDX89
06-08-2002, 02:33 PM
I got both fuel filters last week for a little less than 10 bucks.

The rear one is kind of a pain the ass. It is inside a little metal holder type thing. There's two bolts holding this thing to the side of the gas tank. Pull those out (they're 10 mm) and then pinch your fuel lines if you can. You'll probably need a really small pair of vice grips to get in there. The clips were a bitch for me until I figured them out. You just turn them while pulling them in the direction you want them to go. It's kinda like taking out a screw. The fuel lines might be stuck to the filter but with a little muscle they'll come off. Put the new one on in reverse order.

The fuel pump is fairly easy to get out also. I did that accidently thinking it was my fuel filter because I didn't read the heading in the Hayne's book until I had the thing in my hand. You need to pull the carpet out of your trunk. You can get it out without pulling the back seat. There will be two round discs on the floor right behind the back seat. Pull the left one off. You'll have to disconnect the fuel line and the electrical connector. There's about 5-6 nuts around the top that need to be removed (10 mm also). The pump should then come out. It's on the end of the long squiggly rod. Installation is reverse.

Good luck man. Hope all goes well.:super:

staticpat
06-08-2002, 02:40 PM
i got the two bolts off the filter, and was trying to figure if i had to unhook the red hoses or unscrew the cap somehow. thankss

A20A1
06-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Cap? you have to take the hose clamps off then twist and pull the red hoses off. make sure you remember which way the old filter was facing since you need to reinstall the new filter the same way... also it may be good to clamp or plug the fuel lines afler they are removed cause lots of gas may come out.

staticpat
06-08-2002, 02:57 PM
there was some kind of a plastic sheath over the filter, i had to twist off, hence cap.

i got the filter out, but when i try to start the car no gas comes out the tubes. took out the pump, gonna replace it . there goes my rims fund. why spend money pimping out a car when you can spend it making it run. i am so surprised at how easy this car is to work on, especially compared to new mostly computerized ones. now i hope i wont have to run the car on choke everytime i want it to start. thanks for your help all.

CoAsTeR
06-09-2002, 09:35 AM
ummm buddy, did you at least check the fuel cutoff relay? I've seen several die and it would cause the problems that you are experiencing. Its rare the a fuel pump goes on these cars but before you get carried away....

look at the fuse panel under the dash. on the backside of it, bottom right you'll see the fuel pump cutoff relay. its usually grey with a silver metal cover with holes on the top of it. pull it out. it has 4 contacts on it.
now jumper the two contacts on the far left and far right, 1&2 and 3&4 and try to start the car. it will probably start.

the relay is 65 bucks canadian or free from a scrapyard. give it a shot, it could save you TONS of time and money. you dont even want to know what happened to me when my cutoff relay went.......

dj99
06-09-2002, 11:32 AM
I was gonna post similar advice, but the board died! I looked it up on partsamerica.com, and the fuel cut-off relay is about US $32, and the pump is $68-$95, depending on the source. It's more expensive (and painful) if you have to buy both! :p

dan

staticpat
06-10-2002, 02:50 PM
it actually was the pump, replaced it and my filters for $85. was fairly easy.

car runs better than ever, don't even have to start it on choke anymore. thanks for all your help