PDA

View Full Version : brakes not working right!!!!!ARRRGGG

StUpiD8000
06-24-2003, 10:12 AM
OK...Iv had this car for 2 yours now and my brakes just out of the blue, went to the floor. OOO SHHIITT I pull up and put it back down and there normal... Its doing this out of the blue about once a month and now its becoming for aften...Too aften....Any ideas????

pimp86LX
06-24-2003, 10:23 AM
check your fluids.

if your not losing fluid i would suspect mast cyl. is losing boost. aka get a new one :-P

shepherd79
06-24-2003, 10:43 AM
if he was loosing the fluid, the pedal would be on the floor all the time.
it is your master cylinder.

StUpiD8000
06-24-2003, 10:47 AM
damnit....Thats what I was thinking.. The fluid is fine. what kind of job am I looking at here?

DBMaster
06-24-2003, 10:49 AM
I bought a brand new (not rebuilt) M/C at a local auto parts place for $65. It takes about an hour to install and bleed all the brakes.

You will notice when the M/C starts to go that you will have decent pedal when the car is cold, but then when it gets hot, especially on hot days, the pedal starts going to the floor. I am on my third M/C now. They seem like they last about 90-100K miles.

MrBen
06-24-2003, 10:53 AM
I've had mine for 230,000 miles

rdn
06-24-2003, 01:30 PM
why dont you just change the "rubber things" (dont know the english term for them :)) in the main cylinder? that would cost you 2-5$ and a 1/2 hour work. that's what usually goes wrong on the brake main cylinders

one additional thing though...when you bleed the breakes...make sure you don't step on the breake "all the way"...there is usually some rost at the end of the main cylinder ....step on it to the 'half way' when you bleed the breakes

StUpiD8000
06-30-2003, 01:57 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------why dont you just change the "rubber things" (dont know the english term for them ) in the main cylinder? that would cost you 2-5$ and a 1/2 hour work. that's what usually goes wrong on the brake main cylinders
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What rubber things???? If its that cheap, Hell Ill try it.

rdn
07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by StUpiD8000
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------why dont you just change the "rubber things" (dont know the english term for them ) in the main cylinder? that would cost you 2-5$ and a 1/2 hour work. that's what usually goes wrong on the brake main cylinders
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What rubber things???? If its that cheap, Hell Ill try it.

well...the cylinder has two pistons inside (one for each circuit)...each piston has 2 "rubber rings" on it (help me out guys ...what's the name of those? :)..)...the idea is the same as in a bicycle pump (open one and you'll see what i mean). Where i leave, there are 'reparation kits' available for master cylinders...cost 2-5$ and it's fairly easy to change (the most difficult is to remove the cylinder itself)