PDA

View Full Version : im hearing a rattle under my valve cover.....

88 Accord DX
06-24-2003, 10:23 PM
does this mean i need to adjust my valves. the funny thing is the noise is ONLY at 2000 RPMs anything lower or higher and i dont hear it....:wtf:

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-24-2003, 10:49 PM
More than likely, yes. Does it go tick, tick, tick, tick, fairly fast? It's an easy job to do, and should be checked/adjusted every 15k anyways, so if it hasn't been done for awile go ahead and do it anyways.

Other than the valves, only thing I can think of is either low on oil, or the oil pump is dying and not supplying enough pressure. Probably just the valve lash needing adjustment though.

Haolerot
06-24-2003, 10:53 PM
I had the exact same problem....it was the air conditioning pully.... there is a protective plate on it...it rattled at 3000rpm....i just stuck some pennies and nickels between it.....see if that helps you...or if that is even your problem.

88 Accord DX
06-24-2003, 10:54 PM
if you can, imagine a nut sitting losely on the valve cover. now imagine the noise it would make. thats what it sounds like.

mindlos
06-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Could be your distributor. Listen closely as possible to it. It usually sounds like there is a rock playing around in it.

88 Accord DX
06-25-2003, 10:13 AM
no its under the valve cover. and i know its not my a/c cuz i dont have a/c

Haolerot
06-25-2003, 03:04 PM
well check anyways....i dont have a belt on mah AC...but it made the noise anyway...at first i thought it was mah valves too...

Dizzo7693
07-08-2003, 05:09 PM
might have to replace your rear main bearings that go around the crank and on the connectiong rods. To fix this all you have to do is take down the oil pan and all the other shit there and undo the 2 12mm nuts on the connecting rods ( each rod has 2 nuts)

Then just slide out the bearings. But make sure when replacing, that the noches are opposite from each other on the bearings.

Hope that's not too confusing!!

P.S Had the same problem with my car. Just like you stated. nocking was coming from the bottom end. The bearings were wore down.

anchovies
07-08-2003, 08:01 PM
If it's the bearings, then i think it's time for an overhaul and find out what the problem was.