PDA

View Full Version : high idle... then stall...

racerx
06-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Okay, so I slightly adjust my idle mixture and also install a SR intake and my idle (hot) shoots to like 1600-1800 rpm. Not unexpected from the idle mixture adjustment, right? Well, cold idle is friggin 3000 and I can't kick off the high rpms with a quick stomp on the gas like I could before.
Well, I'm thinking I just need to adjust idle right? Well, on the way home tonight it stalls at a light! :huh: The idle is either 1600 or it's on the brink of stalling! I was having this problem before but the idle was just over 1000. What is causing the sudden drop in power??
:help:

BITESIZE
06-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Check your fuel pressure. Could be your fuel pump maybe.

racerx
06-24-2003, 11:42 PM
I just replaced the fuel pump, actually...

BITESIZE
06-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Check your fuel pressure regulator, pcv, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, air filter....

BITESIZE
06-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Actually change your pcv it's only about $1.50. and it only takes 5 minutes. It controls the positive pressure back into your intake i believe.

racerx
06-25-2003, 08:38 AM
it's carbed so no pressure regulator... New plugs, new wires, new fuel filter, new intake altogether...
I guess that leaves pcv, cap, rotor, and coil...

mindlos
06-25-2003, 08:58 AM
you might have a major vacuum leak. The last time my car would not idle my idle adjustment screw had unscrewed itself over time then fallen out. PCV is definitely worth checking out and the idle cuttoff electrical connection.

Bloodlust
06-26-2003, 07:32 AM
I am actually having a similar problem with my car. But mine is idling at about 500RPM (Yes 500 RPM not 5,000RPM) and then it stalls out on me or if it doesnt stall it putters then my engine light comes on, I think it might be bad gas?

AkDale
02-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I am actually having a similar problem with my car. But mine is idling at about 500RPM (Yes 500 RPM not 5,000RPM) and then it stalls out on me or if it doesnt stall it putters then my engine light comes on, I think it might be bad gas?
Did you guys ever figure out what the hot idle problem was?

racerx
03-01-2004, 01:33 PM
well, for me, it took a few things like:
Cold air intake
Accel Coil
NGK plugs (i love these plugs! kicks the crap outta bosch +4)
A serious carb tune. i did the idle, mixture, and whatnot

Now I only have this problem when the lights are on, fan is on, and rear defroster is on. Do you have this problem too?

AkDale
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
well, for me, it took a few things like:
Cold air intake
Accel Coil
NGK plugs (i love these plugs! kicks the crap outta bosch +4)
A serious carb tune. i did the idle, mixture, and whatnot

Now I only have this problem when the lights are on, fan is on, and rear defroster is on. Do you have this problem too?

Yes, I do have this problem.
It will do it to me with only the brakes applied.
I have done a tune up and vaccum check.
Still have to check out the carb.
There should probably be some type of Idle up when there is an electrical draw. Kind of like for the air conditiner.

AkDale
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
I just fixed mine----Took the carb off to uncap the mixture screw.
Put it back on-- started it---Same problem.
Turned the mixture screw out about 3-1/2 turns until the engine speed did not increase any more.
Lowered the idle with the throttle stop screw to 750 rpm.
Smoothe idle--great low, mid and high speed.
Problem solved!!!!
wHAT A WONDERFUL THING.

racerx
03-02-2004, 05:43 PM
wow that's cool! good for you.