PDA

View Full Version : automatic transmission question

oldskooln
06-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Is there a way to modify my transmission/ trans shifter in a way that would allow me to put the gear selector in 1st gear?

The reason I ask is because according to the owner's manual, the 2nd (lowest) gear is as far down as I can go... something along the lines of for towing, because of too much wheel slip/spin if you use first.

So is there a way to get myself into 1st gear manually on an automatic car?

You might ask why... well a friend of mine owns a transmission shop locally and got my trans' shift points up along with a firmer shift... in other words: It'll chirp 1-2 shifts and pull real hard 2-3.
It would help if I had full control of the trans, not just 2-3 and 3-4.

Haolerot
06-25-2003, 03:02 PM
there is a trick you can use..... when you race or drive....when you start off just keep it in D3 and dont let go of the gas..... when you want to shift to 2nd gear just put um in 2....welll i hope thta helps

grocerygetter
06-25-2003, 03:26 PM
won't it still shift into second on its own if you start with the seltor in 3rd?

Haolerot
06-25-2003, 03:29 PM
It will get top 6000 rpm.....then it will shift to 2nd

grocerygetter
06-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Haolerot
It will get top 6000 rpm.....then it will shift to 2nd

only 6,000, that just won't do ;)

oldskooln
06-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I didn't think about going from a start in D3 and shifting to 2nd...

However, I would like to have full control of my automatic gears... the computer/trans forcing that early automatic shift from 1st to 2nd is a pain... our A20's seem to do thier best in low-end, so I'm trying to take full advantage of that.

...anyone else have some insight?

88 Accord DX
06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
i want the same thing too but i dont think its gonna happen. i know the 94 gen. civics have auto trans that can go down to 1st gear but i dont think we can modify that any way. oh well.

Haolerot
06-27-2003, 04:11 PM
try asking mike(a20a1)....hes familar with auto trans and i remember him saying that you can control it some way so it has all of the advantages of a 5-speed...but none of the disadvantages.....it was called a tv or something like that...

A20A1
06-27-2003, 04:45 PM
to get D3 to hold first gear you have to manually control the TV cable.

you can lock the TV in place but that will cause you to shift at 6,200 rpm constantly.

what I did is I disctonnected the TV cable from the carb... but in your case it may be connected to the throttle body or the accelerator pedal.

So once you find the TV cable unhook it and secure an extra length of wire or cable so that you can pull it by hand and control the shifting of your car. For some of you that may seem too annoying cause you have to have one hand on the cable at all times with a slight amount of tension. Casue with no tension on the cable you trans will shift real early like between 2,500 - 1,500 rpm.

88 Accord DX
06-27-2003, 09:44 PM
dude a20a1 i have an idea. okay what if we took the tv cable and routed it to a turning type pully that when turned would tighten and loosen the tv cable. it could be mounted under the dash or seat or by the shifter. think it would work?