PDA

View Full Version : ECU compatibility

pip
06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
i met this guy and his dad was the V.P of honda Canada or someone really high up same night my car got egged at that party, but anyways he was telling me that mods that go on the hondas have to be compatible with the ECU and that if the ECU doesn't accept the mod then u won't really gain anything i never heard of this before but have any of u??

pimp86LX
06-25-2003, 03:39 PM
well the term "accept" i think is wrong. I would describe it as the ecu being able to manage the A/F mixture and timing retard/advance properly. If you make any significan't changes, like say a turbo!, then ya your ecu isn't going to be able to handle it( well maaaaabe). But for things like intake/headers/exauhst...light cam mod it should be able to cope. I have a feeling if anyone does enough modifications that go beyond the ecu's capabilities, they will upgrade the computer anyway. If your computer savy you can even reprogram a GM ECM because they are much more flexible than ours

pip
06-25-2003, 06:27 PM
nah i aint doin any ecu mods not on a carbed dx but when the guy told me this i was like ummm... ok........ i have mods ... i feel power...

pimp86LX
06-25-2003, 06:38 PM
heh heh He's right but only for certain applications. and your carb'd model doesn't have an ecu..not like the EFI's do anyway.

pip
06-27-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah the carb ecu controls.... the clock...