PDA

View Full Version : The Straight Dope on EFI Conversions?

aguynamedfrank
06-25-2003, 03:34 PM
I know, I know...use the search function...read older posts...etc. Well, I have, but I still haven't found answers to some of the questions I have. Anyway, here it goes. First, the details on my car:

1988 Honda Accord LX with automatic transmission and 50,000 original miles. Runs almost flawlessly, but it idles high occassionally and makes a continuous choking sound when turned off while said high idling is occuring. No big deal, but definitely a problem related to the carb from the various people I've asked. (although, out of the 5 mechanics I've taken it to, they can't identify the problem "exactly" without charging my ass labor...sorry fuckers, but I ain't paying you to look at my car and not fix it)

First, I am essentially a car newbie. I've changed my own oil, changed tires, and helped a friend install new brake pads, but that is it! I want an injected engine because of the higher horsepower and the ability to further the modify the engine in ways a carbed engine cannot be modded. So the question is this...will I be able to accomplish such a goal being the newbie I am?

If you think I can do it, would it be a timely project (a month or less)? I have nothing to do until mid August, but I would need time to shop for a parts car and then to do the modification. Remember, I have NO experience with engines or anything of that nature. However, I'm pretty good when it comes to tinkering so I can learn quickly (I've been building computers for five years, all from reading the net).

If it can be done by me, in a month or less, how much would it cost? Assuming I can find an LX-i for $500 or less (which I think I can do), how much more will I need to buy for any other parts or special tools needed?

Does it matter how many miles are on the EFI system? Considering my car's engine is in pretty good shape with low miles, I don't want to do a conversion only to lose the EFI system a year later because it was simply too used and worn.

If you think I can do it, and the cost would be reasonable...then I have one more question...Will I be able to toss in an 88-89 LX-i manual transmission without any problem?

If you don't think I can do it or it is going to put me out of commission for more than a month, then I think I'll just buy an older sports car for that extra thrill I need in my life :)

I'm thinking a first gen MR2. They're sexy, moddable, and have awesome handling. And relatively cheap to boot!

shepherd79
06-25-2003, 04:58 PM
ok, here is what i think.
If you haven't worked on engines and you are not sure you can do it, than don't mess with it.
oh the other hand, if you can find EFI car, why don't you just sell your accord and find EFI accord.
according to a few people on this board, the project will take some time even if you know what you are doing.
manual trans from LXI will bolt up to any A20 block.
I still think, the easiest way is to sell carb accord and ger EFI accord.
oh yeah, you can mod carb accord as good as EFI accord.

aguynamedfrank
06-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
ok, here is what i think.
If you haven't worked on engines and you are not sure you can do it, than don't mess with it.
oh the other hand, if you can find EFI car, why don't you just sell your accord and find EFI accord.
according to a few people on this board, the project will take some time even if you know what you are doing.
manual trans from LXI will bolt up to any A20 block.
I still think, the easiest way is to sell carb accord and ger EFI accord.
oh yeah, you can mod carb accord as good as EFI accord.

I don't want to sell my car because its so damn clean, with a rockin' stereo system, and I just tinted the windows to boot. Plus, only 50K miles on the car. My only gripes are the carb and auto tranny. However, I can't bitch because I was fortunate enough to get it real cheap from a family member, and I was desperate to get out of the 92 Buick Century I was driving previously. I wouldn't want to turn around and sell it (I could probably get $5000 for it at least...I saw one on Ebay with 10K more miles, less options, no stereo, and no tint go for $4185) just because I think I'd be disrespecting the family member who hooked me up in such a time of need. But I'm still tempted sometimes.

I was wanting to switch it to EFI because I wanted to eventually get it performing real nice, with a turbo n all...but I don't think that will be happening...I really LOVE the looks people have achieved with these cars, but I don't want to be a ricer bitch that has a nice-looking ride that performs like a snail. Although, I'm pleasently surprised with the speeds this thing has reached (I've hit 110 on a flat road, with more room to accelerate. 125 going down a hill!)

What kind of HP could I push this thing up without injection? I know it wouldn't be as high as one with, but if it is still quite a bit, then I may go ahead and try some stuff. I still might try putting a manual tranny in - with a little help from a friend of mine I could probably pull it off rather easily.

Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment.

rdn
06-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by aguynamedfrank

... I wouldn't want to turn around and sell it (I could probably get $5000 for it at least...I saw one on Ebay with 10K more miles, less options, no stereo, and no tint go for $4185) just because I think I'd be disrespecting the family member who hooked me up in such a time of need. But I'm still tempted sometimes.

could you get 5000$ for an '88 accord?...wow...not bad!...in europe, an '88 accord in a perfect shape is not worth more than 1500$ (bought mine for 275$ :))

shepherd79
06-26-2003, 03:32 AM
aguynamedfrank, where are you from?
if you don't have any emissions you can remove all that stuff.
put headers, 2.25" exhaust piping, and dynomax super turbo muffler. oh and CAI it will make nice performance over the stock car.

Justin86
06-26-2003, 05:46 PM
My EFI swap cost me $330. $100 for Lx-i parts car. $100 in new heater hoses. $60 new throttle body. $50 head gasket set. $20 for new hard water line. The only thing you really need is the parts car and the head gasket set. Everthing else is just depending on the shape of the car.
First off you NEED to find a parts car and get one with a maunal in it to, so you can swap trannies. It took me about 10 days to copmlete mostly cause I had to wait to get a certain part before I could move on. Also this was by myself, it will help out extremely to have a friend around that isn't busy.

1988starter
06-26-2003, 06:05 PM
look here EFI swap How To (http://pages.infinit.net/omus/eficonversion/efi.html)