PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelt Jammed

88ACCORDLXFaSho
06-09-2002, 09:28 AM
The rear passanger-side seatbelt is jamming. If I push the button, it won't come out. If I mess around with it enough, it eventually comes out. Any suggestions?

Bobs89LXi
06-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Yes, take it to the dealer to get it replaced for free. There has been a recall for that problem for quite some time.

smufguy
06-09-2002, 11:09 AM
or go to the junkyard and get hold of a holster like that for under 3 bucks. and just bolt it on. the recall was on the belt not having any pull back when yanked at it suddenly.

carotman
06-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Bob is right, there was a recall on that..

Anyway, the seatbelts have a lifetime warranty on them

A20A1
06-09-2002, 01:35 PM
if there wasn't a life time warranty, you could sue honda up the a$$ for defective crap... so get it replaced and save the hassle of looking for junk yard parts... well in this case.

Bobs89LXi
06-09-2002, 01:44 PM
No, the recall was on the plastic latch and tab breaking, not allowing the seatbelt to either stay in or to jam.

SteveDX89
06-09-2002, 02:28 PM
Either way, all seatbelt component are lifetime warrantied.

Mantis88LX
06-09-2002, 02:53 PM
my passenger seat belt is broken and the thing wont latch, do i just drive up to any honda dealer ship and tell them? what do i say?

CoAsTeR
06-09-2002, 05:22 PM
the recall was on the plastic tab...
but on the other hand honda probably has a lifetime warranty on the safety restraints for obvious legal reasons.
Regardless just pull into the dealership, tell em' your son almost got killed because of this @#%@#% defective seatbelt, and that you want it replaced immediately or you'll be talking to mah lawyers!

I'm sure they'll have it fixed before you can say the word 'LAWSUIT'.

then again, if you ask nice... I'm sure that'll work just as well :D

dj99
06-09-2002, 05:39 PM
FYI, I'm taking my '88 in for the seat belt recall this week. Yes, I'm the original owner, and I am only now getting around to it. :p

Well, when I called the closest dealer for an appointment, he said IF they break, then they will take care of them (I thought EEEEHHHH, WRONG ANSWER!). I'm thinking, what if I'm on a long trip and one of the buckles jams or breaks? Some recall! :mad:

Being unwilling to settle for stupidity, I called another dealer a bit further away that I have done some parts business with. He intelligently explained that they will look at them, and if they are one of two brands (tamiko??), they do nothing. If they are the potentially defective kind, they will put some kind of guide on the buckle, to prevent problems.

All this is supposed to take about 30 minutes time. :cool:

88ACCORDLXFaSho
06-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanx guys, I'm gonna go to the dealership downtown tomorrow, and I'll let you know what happens.

89accordlxi
06-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Is the warranty void if you take the housing apart and remove the broken piece yourself?? That is what I did and the latch works better now. But I had to pry all around the edge of it and now the cover won't go back on. will they still replace it for me after all that??

I'm out

CoAsTeR
06-10-2002, 06:53 AM
I QUOTE

"Well, when I called the closest dealer for an appointment, he said IF they break, then they will take care of them (I thought EEEEHHHH, WRONG ANSWER!). I'm thinking, what if I'm on a long trip and one of the buckles jams or breaks? Some recall! "

ahahah... OMFG, are they on crack!? We'll wait till it breaks, jams the seatbelt the wrong way and you get into an accident and break your neck cuz your seatbelt malfunctioned..... so we'll replace it now, but NOT before! ....pffft... call honda head office and mention that one... hahahah....

then again I'm not surprised either, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard something like that. heh....... penny pinchers.....

dj99
06-10-2002, 07:32 AM
I thought about reporting it, but then I thought what if they "reprimand" them and make them look at my car. No thanks, I'll go someplace where I'm not an annoyance, or troublemaker. The second dealer offered up an appointment as a matter of course. :flash:

Jdub07
06-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Is it only the back seat belts that are warrentied because of the recall or all restraints? My front passanger belt just started acting up last week. It wont coil all the way back up when the belt is not in use. So it hangs with some slack and when driving I can hear the damn belt flappin against the inside of the car! At first I was like what the HELL is that bumping noise and I finally noticed the belt. Can I just get a new coil thing from the yard? What makes the belt do that??:werd:

dj99
06-12-2002, 01:53 PM
FYI UPDATE - I went to the dealer today for the seat belt recall. This recall covered only the front belt buckles. I had the problem kind kind, where the red "press" portion of the buckle can break and prevent the buckle from latching. They put a new piece of plastic onto the buckle housing, about 1/2 inch high, opposite of the red plastic button, that will not allow you to point the tab toward the button when buckling up. Simple, yet effective.

I'm sure they will take care of any problem in the "latching" department. Not sure about "retraction".

I mentioned that my belt was getting a bit frayed, but that isn't covered forever.

smufguy
06-13-2002, 10:31 AM
i am sure that the seat belt unit from the junk must be expensive and hard to take out. the problem is, the latch that we plug into the holster near the seat wont go thru the small hole in the Side pillar. Am i right on this one? I might be wrong, but its hard tto take out. unless u remove if from the coiling portion on the bottm of the pillar. A throttle cable in the junk costs 10 bucks and it aint hard to take out. a seat belt unit. well u can have a rough idea of how much it would cost.

inwywind
01-18-2004, 08:11 PM
I know this is a reply to an old topic. But I have three seatbelts that do not work well on an 87 accord I just bought. Has anyone found any info from honda on the web that I could bring into the dealer when requesting this service.

k-roy
01-18-2004, 08:15 PM
I know this is a reply to an old topic. But I have three seatbelts that do not work well on an 87 accord I just bought. Has anyone found any info from honda on the web that I could bring into the dealer when requesting this service.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/24/872401A8.html

MrBen
01-18-2004, 08:28 PM
I just cracked them with a screwdriver and they replaced them for free.

nswst8
01-18-2004, 10:57 PM
At the J/Y they run from $5-20 haas been my experience. just remember to pull the entire belt both the latch and the clip.
Hope this helps, LOL
NSWST8 :cheers: