PDA

View Full Version : what about a fake cat?

rehv_Aerodeck86
06-26-2003, 01:46 AM
i'm always wondering why ppl spend big bucks on performance high-flo cats. wouldn't it be better if u dont have one at all?
I don't know what is the law in US...do u have a annual technical inspection or an emissions check-up?

Here in Estonia u have one either every year (10+year old car) or over 2 years. Here's the trick most of local cab-drivers and many car-owners use:

they have 2 "cats":
- one is a real cat, what they put on only during inspection
- the other is just a pipe with same commections as the cat (same screw holes and same lenght) or an old cat , which is chopped clean inside or has a pipe welded inside - this one is for daily use

to swap them u only have to unlock ~6 nuts and replace the cat :D

here's a pic for explanation:

http://www.hot.ee/helluvacold/honda/fake_cat.jpg

pros:

+ better gas mileage
+ less restrictive airflow
+ more hp
+ no need to spend $ on new cat (when old one gets jammed or rusted)

cons:

- bigger pollution
- u need to spend 10 minutes in a year for a swap

tell me what u think ;)

(sry 4 my crappy english)

shepherd79
06-26-2003, 03:25 AM
yes, most states in The US require the catalitic converter. without one you can't pass emission test.
right now i have no catalitic converter option.

rehv_Aerodeck86
06-26-2003, 04:39 AM
with this u can pass teh test, but use pipe daily

krott5333
06-26-2003, 10:57 AM
ummm.. yeah, and the sky is blue

johndej
06-26-2003, 07:23 PM
thats actually a pritty smart idea. i bet peeps in cali do it all the time already.

pimp86LX
06-26-2003, 07:31 PM
cons:

hella pollutioin. I am willing to sacrafice some power if it means im not contributing like a whore to all the smog and pollution.

blazin3gen
06-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by johndej
thats actually a pritty smart idea. i bet peeps in cali do it all the time already.

what u mean?..... it could pass emissions better? but damn we got it fucked up man its expensive as shit now!! starting sept 200 bucks for smog, then now 3 times the amount of $ for registration they KILLING US!!

MrBen
06-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by krott5333
ummm.. yeah, and the sky is blue

:lol :lol :lol

DBMaster
06-26-2003, 08:20 PM
hella pollutioin. I am willing to sacrafice some power if it means im not contributing like a whore to all the smog and pollution.

Now I like something else about Pimp (his avatar is great!).

Social conscience is cool in my book. You are not really sacrificing anything significant in power or economy with a cat such as ours, but your are substantially increasing your contribution to the problem of global pollution by removing it. I will not plead totally innocent here because I did install a test pipe for my dad on our 79 Bonneville way back in the early 80's. I could use the excuse that cats were restrictive and didn't last long back then, but it was still not an ethical thing to do. I even modified the filler neck on the gas tank so it could take regular leaded gas.

I wish I could go back and make it different, but all I can do is be a good citizen of Earth moving forward.

Peace,

1988starter
06-26-2003, 08:39 PM
To me it is worth the hundred bucks or so to not pollute so bad. That is for fools in over sized SUVs

Elijah
06-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Well I got no emissions here so I'am ok.And ya I have no cat.

HondaBoy
06-26-2003, 09:55 PM
ah, this is perfect question. my friend has a '79 chevrolet blazer that didnt come with one. one of his friends has a blazer like his and he just put a fake one on to pass inspection. its just looks like the shell, but he hollowed it out like a strait pipe. i was going to do that also, but im environmentally concious. not exactly a tree hugger, but i know im going to feel bad with all that nasty smell comming out. probley doesnt make much difference anyway except for the free flowing. i say go for it

johndej
06-27-2003, 07:23 AM
yeah, i'd say they just smack suv's back down to station wagons like they are used as. they prob make just as much smog as our cars w/ out the cat on (just a guess).

DBMaster
06-27-2003, 08:02 AM
The cat cuts down NOx and CO, and, no, a new SUV with cat will not pollute more than ours without one.

SUV's are a very good example of American excess and use more fuel than a person should use, but it's no excuse for gross polluting.

rehv_Aerodeck86
06-27-2003, 09:29 AM
if 3geez ppl remove vacuum lines and cats , its not such a big deal as owning a 7.3L polluter

HondaBoy
06-27-2003, 12:44 PM
well most of my friends with big trucks and suvs are runnin with no catz. most of them are between 70-85. i know most people will take them off and hollow it out and put it right on just for inspection. maybe thats wut ill do when i get a new exhaust system.

taylorsstud
06-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Does the cat have the vented pan over it that you have to unbolt before you take it off?, and what kind of power will i gain if i unbolted the muffler and what would it sound like? ,.....YES I'M A CHEAPAZZ!

rehv_Aerodeck86
06-30-2003, 11:41 PM
dunno about the vanted pan (mine is 1 piece?). when my 3g was in the service they discovered that the cat was so totally jammed that car didn't start after changeing timing belt, lol. so they chopped it clean inside....

gains in my situation: better (louder) sound, much better acceleration, higher mpg, power moved to a bit higher rpm's

Dibbs
07-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I run w/ a test pipe (no cat). There was a guy on Ebay who used to sell them for $30 shipped. I don't know if he's still around. Emmisions tests are required where I live and I can pass emmisions w/ no Cat PLUS I'm running REALLY rich. Almost too rich. You should see my manifold when I take my throttle body off. Our cars produce little to no emmisions compared to domestic v-6 and v-8 cars/trucks. I've got a friend that has an '89 camaro w/ a v-6 and he keeps this car up NICE. No real mods to the engine. It took him 3 trips b4 his car passed.

I look at it this way:
If a volcano eruption emits more ozone depleating CFC's than the entire population of the world can produce in one year (it's true you can look it up), then I don't think I'll mind throwing a straight pipe on my exhaust and enjoy a little boost of power from the 40-60 mph range.

jlaccord89lxi
07-03-2003, 05:20 PM
i don't need a cat here in canada, plus the front flange is all mis-shaped. It doesn't bolt correctly to my new front pipe, so it still sounds like i have a small exhaust leak because the cat isn't sealed with the front pipe well enough. Next time i'm close, i'm gonna go to the muffler shop and see how much theyd charge me for a small custom piece of pipe to put there in place of the cat.

POS carb
07-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by johndej
:werd:

pimp86LX
07-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
i don't need a cat here in canada, plus the front flange is all mis-shaped. It doesn't bolt correctly to my new front pipe, so it still sounds like i have a small exhaust leak because the cat isn't sealed with the front pipe well enough. Next time i'm close, i'm gonna go to the muffler shop and see how much theyd charge me for a small custom piece of pipe to put there in place of the cat.

Come to Onatrio man, our smog tests are pretty tough.

StUpiD8000
07-08-2003, 02:37 PM
lol....One of...hummmmm 2? good things in :mad: OHIO:mad: You never have to get smog tested. You can if you wont!!!