PDA

View Full Version : death of a 3g... opinions appreciated...

ALTERED4
06-26-2003, 03:13 AM
well it finally happened... after almost 10 years of owning the car, she may never see another road again...

she sustained heavy damage two days ago after being hit by a stupid ass on a cell phone... i was making a right onto a 3 lane street... as i turned into the outermost lane (lane was clear), the dumbass in the center lane decided to make a quick lane change right before the intersection... she never even tried to brake... slammed into the side of my car going about 45-50 mph... spun me around, car jumped over the center divider, ended up on the other side of the street... i was blamed for the accident, cop said i failed to yield from a stop sign, besides, a witness took her side, and claimed i pulled out in front of her...

anyways, the car sustained damage to both sides of the rear suspension, drivers side, where she hit me, passenger side, where the car hit the divider while spinning... drivers sidre rear wheel looks like /... the back drivers side door is completely crushed, so is the quarter panel, where the car took the blunt of the hit... both wheels are heavily damaged, fortunately no glass broke...

loaded the car up on my brother's trailer, and stopped by a body shop that had done work for us in the past... for labor alone, i was quoted 1400 dollars... even with salvaged parts, im looking at a minimum of 2g's to get her back on the road...

so... i have 3 options... you guys keep in mind i commute about 100 miles a day, and have 3 kids in diapers, so my 240 or prelude are out of the question as far as daily driven duties go...

i can take 3g back to the body shop, give them 2 grand and have them fix the car...

i can buy myself another beater (3g or 4g accord) for cheap, i could do this without having to finance the car...

or, i can listen to everyone else (including my wife) and junk the 3g, and buy myself a late model sedan (altima, accord, camry, ect) with low miles... this, of course would mean i would have to finance at least 15g's, i currently owe 5g's on my 240... also, adding another fully covered vehicle to my insurance premium is something i really dont want to do...

even though everyone tells me option 1 is the worst possible idea (the cost of the repairs will far exceed the cost of the car), my heart is telling me to get the car fixed regardless of cost (you guys may be the only people in this world that would understand)... i have done so much work to the car to make it work right... my wife tells me the accident was a sign, i need to let go...

im thinking option 2 may not be such a bad idea... i could get myself inside a slightly newer beater (such as a 4th gen), i wouldnt have to pick up another car payment, and i can carry liability only... wife still doesn not like the idea, she does not want to see me in another "piece of garbage" she tells me i make good money, i deserve to drive around in a nice (not old) car...

what do you guys honestly think? what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? what do you guys think i should do with my 3g? just the thought of junking her brings a tear to my eye...

88LXi68
06-26-2003, 03:20 AM
Well, considering you have kids this is what I would do.....

I would totally understand option 1 and probably would feel the same, but if the damage is really extensive do you feel the car would be just as safe as before to bring your 3 children in? Once a car is in an accident it is never the same.

Option 2 is a good choice because you save some money and might be able to find a car in pretty damn good shape.

option 3 late model sedan is a no in my book especially if you are already financing a car already. Since you said you didnt want to get rid of the 240, maybe you should get rid of the Prelude??

So.....my heart would say option 1 but considering your situation w/ kids and a prior car that you are financing go with option 2.

88' Accord Ltd
06-26-2003, 08:50 AM
I would go with option 2. You can find a nice LX-i for 1500-2000, and then maybe part out your existing accord for a bit of extra $$. If I had kids I wouldn't want to take a chance being hit with them in the car, like 88LXi68 said once the car is hit its never the same.

pimp86LX
06-26-2003, 10:09 AM
I understand peoples attachment to cars, I myself would love to have a lude and a 240, but man you got kids..they have to be first priority. Sell all your vehicles and get a family car. ie) big sedan or mini-van. Something with low miles and something with a warrenty.

ALTERED4
06-26-2003, 11:49 AM
honestly, i do not believe there is frame damage, i could be wrong though... maybe i could do the suspension work myself, with some trips to the junkyard, and with help of some cars here on the board that are being parted out... if i could just fix the parts on the car that need to be replaced, i can perhaps get another year of driving out of the car... just enough time to pay off the 240... i do not want to sell either the prelude or the 240, besides, i couldnt get much for the prelude... ive pulled the ac and ps out, and the car has no interior...

NXRacer
06-26-2003, 01:22 PM
I'd keep the wrecked one and buy another just like it. Since its been wrecked that bad, if you were to fix it, it wouldnt be worth as much as you put into it to fix it. I'd get the new one and part out the wrecked one for parts on your new one. Cant hurt to have twice the parts.

krott5333
06-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Keep the 240 and the lude, parents gotta have fun too, buy a 93 camry, 4 dr, 4 cylinder.

cubert
06-26-2003, 05:31 PM
id look for something else..i love the 3g and everything..but i dont think its worth it to put that much money into it. Yor 2k you should try to find a 4 or 6 cylinder 4 door car..or like 88LXI68 said get rid of the prelude and find something nicer because the 240sx is a really fun car..rwd..woo..heh. but yea option 2 is good

Silver86LX
06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Option 2 is a good idea. Get a half decent 3g or 4g Accord. I mean you still have to pay off the 240 and you're still trying to build up your credit. If you buy an older Accord all you have to do is pay for it and it's done. Then all you have to worry about is insurance, putting gas in it and maybe a little maintenance here and there. Anyways best of luck to you in your search for a new car.

cdscowboy
06-26-2003, 09:14 PM
I'd go with option #2. You could save yourself some money by buying an older car, and if you buy another 3g, you can use your wounded one for parts and sell what you don't need to make some money on the side. Yeah, so you make good money, but that doesn't mean you need to get more in debt...save the trouble and just get one you can afford outright. Good luck shopping!!! And glad you're okay :)

Osiris
06-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Option 2 here. Im going through alot of the same problems. I have 4 kids under 10 yrs old and my car is in desparate need of an engine and tranny rebuild. Wife is like sell this POS and get a minivan. Know what i told her.

HELL F*CKING NO! :lol

A20A1
06-27-2003, 01:18 AM
hmm... I'm not too keen on people telling me that i should drive a newer car. I mean the people that say that are:

A) They some how fell that me driving and old car will affect how people see them. or in the case of a family... It reflects the financial status of the/my family.

B) They don't want to drive an old car or be seen in and old car.

It's your money... you deserve what you buy, not what you can afford.

I'm not too sure if that came out right.

Admiral
06-27-2003, 12:12 PM
I would rid of one of the fun cars and get a model car like a 94 95 Accord or Camry with decent miles, clean title and alot of life left.
Something aroud 4 to 5 grand should last until the kiddies are in Junior High or longer. Just my take on it. I'm sure my opinon is kinda messed up but give me some credit I'm but 18!

Admiral