PDA

View Full Version : Koni struts have been discontinued! You MUST ORDER NOW!

Jims 86LXI HB
06-26-2003, 11:04 AM
I just confirmed with Koni that they have discontinued thier struts for our cars. Given what I know to be true about the other struts made for our cars, this is really sad news. BUT you still have a chance to get some if you get in on the backordering,....NOW! Koni will pull from existing european wherehouse's to fill U.S. backorders. Their are 10 complete front and rear sets in existance right now, the supply for the front units is much higher. So get yourself on the backorder list right now or forever be locked out.

stizle
06-26-2003, 11:27 AM
i tried to order some today directly from Koni and i was told that all i could get was the rears

im shit out of luck

Chrome_thangs
06-26-2003, 11:38 AM
So now i guess everyones alternative would be to buy Bilstein H.D.s and have the revalved? :) Damn, glad i least got my koni fronts. About how long should i expect them to last with sprint springs?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by stizle
i tried to order some today directly from Koni and i was told that all i could get was the rears

im shit out of luck

Nope that's not correct, I speak only with the people inside the company, someone that know's more than the front desk people. My info is less than 2 hours old. ORDER THEM FROM EITHER SHOX.COM OR THE TIRERACK. They will pull from european wherehouses to fill north american backorders. You can get them, but only if you wait for the struts to come from those european wherehouses. I can't stress how important it is to at least try. Your other choices, the GR-2's and H.P.'s aren't just a little bit worse, their a whole lot worse. When the european wherehouse's are empty, that is when you can't get them.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
So now i guess everyones alternative would be to buy Bilstein H.D.s and have the revalved? :) Damn, glad i least got my koni fronts. About how long should i expect them to last with sprint springs?

Just a side note on the H.D.s I need to have a conversation with Bilstein concerining using them with coilovers. I have a feeling that with bobafett's experience with my revalved struts that something isn't right when using them with linar springs. I think it's in the specs of the valving, of how fast the valve itself is set to work. People using lowering springs should be not be effected.

HostileJava
06-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Shox just said they won't be taking anymore orders and I just ordered the last pair from Tirerack so I guess they won't be taking anymore orders. Sorry guys. Hopefully the guys I talked to didn't know what they were talking about, but I don't think they're going to be available from either place anymore.

bobafett
06-26-2003, 12:55 PM
hey jim, since i have damaged rear struts (and fronts hahah) can they still repair mine, or am i gonna be SOL? shit this could not have come at a worse time...

HostileJava
06-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Boy, now that I think about I hope the guys I talked to knew what they were talking about otherwise I may just have placed an order they can't fill.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
hey jim, since i have damaged rear struts (and fronts hahah) can they still repair mine, or am i gonna be SOL? shit this could not have come at a worse time...

Absolutely, that is one of the thing's gordon specifically mentioned to me today.

Did you ever raise the drop on the Bilsteins and check the ride?

Hash_man_Se_i
06-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Damn, and I was planning on lowering my accord at the end of the summer! :( ... I think we should put together an online petition to get them to continue making the Koni's. I mean we have a lot of members on the site, and that might provoke them to continue to make them. Or convince Tokico or something to make better shocks. lol

Jims 86LXI HB
06-26-2003, 01:46 PM
tireracks ordering system is still active with the koni's, I just checked. They show inventory coming into their Indiana wherehouse Estimated 07/14/03 this would be consistant with what gordon at Koni told me, that shipment is coming from europe and should not reflect the inventory level he said exist's in europe right now. What is not known is if tirerack has enough struts coming on to fill existing backorder commitments. If they follow proper procedure they can get more struts, just like they got the one's comming on 7/14. I sure hope they don't quit, thinking is to much of a hassle for them to bother with anymore.

bobafett
06-26-2003, 01:57 PM
jim, i rasied it up a few turns. and it didnt really seem to help much. so i am gonna sell them (goldy and 88lxi68 get first dibs cause they pmed me) but the dust covers mangled the polyurethane sleeves that keep the coilovers snug against the strut. so i called ground control and ordered more. but i have to wait until they show up and i have another free moment to install the front konis again. at that point i will rasie the car up a lot. because the tire wear on my 17"s was just aweful. i dont know how to get the accord upper control arms off. i got evertying down to one last step, which i couldnt figure out. so i had bad camber. ANNNNND, i have 1 cracked rim, and the others are all mangled with road rash. so now i am looking really hard at some nice 13" tires, and i will paint my steelies black... in the meantime i will save up for some nice 15" rota ATTACKS... :) damnit i want wider tires than 185 though... i liked 205, and i would LOVE 215~!

88LXi68
06-26-2003, 03:52 PM
so can we still get our Konis revalved, shortened and made extrernally adjustable???

guaynabo89
06-26-2003, 09:03 PM
:wtf:

Thats not right! Iwas planning on getting some by the end of the summer too.

Damn them for discontinuing them.

Hey Jim aren't the bilsteins more expensive than the Konis? Did they tell you how many pairs of struts were coming in on the 14th.

What are the part numbers again in caseanyone wants to order them.

88' Accord Ltd
06-26-2003, 09:08 PM
I was also planning on buying some of those near the end of summer!! Its too bad all of my extra money is already wrapped up in other things for my car! :)

Justin86
06-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Yea this sucks a big one. I have no money and I probably need to get a new head, and with out enough money for the Konis my ride will be shit. :mad:

Mike's89AccordLX
06-27-2003, 10:04 AM
If they're discontinuing them then they should lower the price. (Only way I can afford them now)

HostileJava
06-27-2003, 12:17 PM
I'm a little confused as to what going on at Tirerack.com I just got call today that they're shipping my struts out, last week when I called to ask about availbliity they said they weren't in stock and wouldn't be till mid July. I hope they are the fronts and not the rears. I did ask the guy to make sure they were the fronts and he said that's what his computer was telling him. How can I tell if there the fronts when I get them. Will they look physically different?

bobafett
06-27-2003, 12:30 PM
yeah the rears will look like forks (they have a "U" shape to them. and the fronts simply dont...

the fronts will also say L and R, because each side has different brackets, whereas the rear struts are identical. if you order 2 of the same part number you are either getting 2 left struts, 2 right struts, or 2 rear struts.. if you get the rear ones. i will buy them off you... i need 2 rear konis and then i will be all set. :)

Jims 86LXI HB
06-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
so can we still get our Konis revalved, shortened and made extrernally adjustable???

Yes, nothing has changed for those that actually have the struts in hand or manage to get the last remaining new one's.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
:wtf:

Thats not right! Iwas planning on getting some by the end of the summer too.

Damn them for discontinuing them.

Hey Jim aren't the bilsteins more expensive than the Konis? Did they tell you how many pairs of struts were coming in on the 14th.

What are the part numbers again in caseanyone wants to order them.

Yes buying revalved Bilstein H.D.'s does cost more, $630 vs $424.

No I did not find out how many pairs of struts are coming in. What I'd like to know the most is how many of them coming in might not be sold already.

Part numbers are:
80-2581L
80-2581R
REARS
80-2582
80-2582

HostileJava
06-27-2003, 01:25 PM
The rears I definetly have already, I guess when I get the fronts if they look different I'll know.

Osiris
06-27-2003, 06:58 PM
So what your saying "Jims 86LXI HB" is that if we dont get this now. There is no alternative besides the billsteins revalved for lowering our cars correctly.

I dont know about the rest of you. But i cant afford to get them now and that blows ass. When i do lower my car i dont want any issues and someone should at least make something decent for our cars.

Oh well. Thats the price of being different. 3geez forever!!!
or at least till it blows up. :lol

Jims 86LXI HB
06-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Osiris
So what your saying "Jims 86LXI HB" is that if we dont get this now. There is no alternative besides the billsteins revalved for lowering our cars correctly.

I dont know about the rest of you. But i cant afford to get them now and that blows ass. When i do lower my car i dont want any issues and someone should at least make something decent for our cars.

Oh well. Thats the price of being different. 3geez forever!!!
or at least till it blows up. :lol

Yes that correct. If it was up to me you'd at least be able to get KYB AGX struts. But that's not going to happen.

RobT5580
06-29-2003, 07:07 AM
Damn im glad i got mine last summer. They are worth ever penny i spent on them. I wish they sold the koni yellows but i am happy with these so i cant complain.

89AccordLvr
06-29-2003, 07:52 AM
jim if i buy Bilstein's H.D. could i just revalved my front struts which are more importan then the rears and have the rears not changed or should i really consider changin all 4 if i go with H.D's

Jims 86LXI HB
06-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
jim if i buy Bilstein's H.D. could i just revalved my front struts which are more importan then the rears and have the rears not changed or should i really consider changin all 4 if i go with H.D's

Only on the H&R/Neuspeeds springs would I say you could try that. All the other springs are going to have a rear rate high enough where it would be the right thing to revalve the rears to. That being said, if it were my car, I would revalve the rears, even on the H&R/Neuspeeds.

89AccordLvr
06-29-2003, 05:10 PM
thanx, i plan on getin coilovers. So if i get the H.D's do i still get the revalved to 330 compression and 110 rebound or do you suggest even stiffer then that? and the coilovers im getting are the RACTIVE ones

goldyaccord
06-29-2003, 10:19 PM
It's a shame Koni is Discontinuing the struts. but doesnt really matter to me since it's cheaper to revavle the Bilsteins..

89AccordLvr
06-30-2003, 05:12 AM
goldyaccord , its not cheaper to get bilstein revalved, it'll come out to around $600 to get the strut and then get them revalved

AZmike
06-30-2003, 08:22 AM
For the spring rates he was planning he would need to get the Konis revalved. Revalved Bilsteins are cheaper than revalved Konis.

[removed typo]

Mike's89AccordLX
06-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Damit right when I have the money they discontinue them. Too bad I need the money for my JDM B20A. So far I have $1037.14 But I need to pay my bills with that money too. So I will have about $900 for the swap and then I will get student loan for all my tools and for parts for the engine. I'm thinking a $6000 loan will cover everything. $4000 for tools and tool chests, then $2000 for the engine and parts and then whatever I have saved up too for more parts. I need someone to make me a manifold for dual weber 45's for the b20a. I guess when I get it lowered I will have to end up buying bilistens.

goldyaccord
06-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
goldyaccord , its not cheaper to get bilstein revalved, it'll come out to around $600 to get the strut and then get them revalved

Mike is right, It's cheaper to revalve the Bilstiens than to revalve the konis.

That was what I was talkin about.

carotman
07-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Damn that just sucks...

I wanted to wait till next week to order them.... I guess I'm out of luck and stuck with my shitty tokicos.

carotman
07-02-2003, 04:08 PM
I just ordered them from tirerack.com

The rears were in stock but the fronts were supposedly on backorder (sigh). I care less about the rears... my front bounces a bit too much with the tokico setup and my neuspeed springs

Now I'm broke for all my B20A project.... but oh well, It'll just take more time to complete.

Anyone willing to buy my Tokico setup??

89AccordLvr
07-02-2003, 04:26 PM
i got some good news but its not 100 percent yet. Sprint Springs is coming out with a new line of Struts call XS Struts. I saw it on a Import Tuner mag and I decided to check their website but they didn't have them on the site yet. So i decided to email them and ask them if they would consider making struts for our cars since KONI is being discountined. He replyed to me today and said They Should have them and to check wit them in a month for the application. So everyone have your fingers-crossed and let's hope they can get us some struts

Justin86
07-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Well I finally have enough money to get some. Is there still some to get, all 4 struts. Otherwise I will have to hope these sprint struts can do the job.

guaynabo89
07-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Otherwise I will have to hope these sprint struts can do the job.

Sprint struts:confused:

How about some more info on that?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Do not buy the sprint struts. They make promises that are to good to be true. One member on here bought them in spite of me advising other wise. He quickly found out they they're as bad as I thought. He removed them and replaced them with Koni's. I think he used the words, night and day differance.

Justin86
07-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Well I better hope I can still get Konis.

maka_RTH
07-10-2003, 12:01 PM
well, this sucks! i think i found out about this a little too late..., if only i never got activated... hopefully we can find something that will work in place of the koni's, cuz thats what i wanted. maybe they'll start makin them again if we have enough demand, or maybe a group buy? well, i'll have to look into it more when i get home...

Justin86
07-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Yea it does suck.