PDA

View Full Version : Blow by + loss compression?

Justin86
06-26-2003, 06:58 PM
I have been having a lot of blow by and compression loss. I was told that it was a bad head gasket. Got a new one nothing changed. Also I noticed that I had a bend PCV hose so I though it would fix everything. Well of corse I wouldn't be doing all these if it worked. So far I have spend $40. I had good compression except in the #3 cylinder, 50PSI.
Now that I got the new PCV hose the blow by isn't as bad but still too much and now my compression is 145/100/135/135. It was 155/50/145/145, all from the PCV allowing the crank case to breathe better.:banghead: Aslo I had a shit load more power after I finished the EFI swap and now after getting some what better compression and HEADERS I feel like I still have a carb on 20" rims. It is slow.:mad: :crying:
I put #3 piston at TDC and ran air into it. Instead of turning the engine over like the other cylinders, the air came out the oil jet and the 2 oil return lines. A mechanic said that was because of a bad head gasket. Well the gasket was 4 days old, but I got a new one and still no differnece. I checked for any cracks and if the head is square. NOPE. Pistons in good shape and no marks on the walls, so the piston rings were good. So far there is no visible damage to anything. and no reason why I'm looseing compression.
I put everything back together and took it to my mechanic. He just did a engine drop into an 88 Accord that had the same problem. Loss compression and blow by. But the engine was in shitty shape and 210K mile on it. My car only has 130K on it and still has the original clutch so it must have been driven easily. Mechanic says cracked piston but I checked and there was no visible damage to the pistons. :wtf: The only thing I can think of is new engine. I have no JOB and only $300, so that won't happen. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
:sadwave:

pimp86LX
06-26-2003, 07:15 PM
check your valves dude

mindlos
06-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Did you ever take the head to a machine shop to be pressure tested? Some of those microfractures are invisible to the naked eye and they have the machine to do it. Around here it was around $50 bucks 2yrs ago to test the head.

BITESIZE
06-26-2003, 08:58 PM
I'd probably worry about getting a job, before getting your car fixed, at least it drives. Sorry I had to say it. Anyways good luck with your car. I hope you figure it out, because after all you deserve to have a good car, since you take care of her.

Justin86
06-26-2003, 09:36 PM
My valves are ok. I know that for a fact.
I didn't get the head pressure tested. I was told to do it but I didn't want to waste any more money. This was after I spend $60 on the headgasket and injector seals I DIDN"T need. And my nice little $300 camera is missing and I don't have a job. So I couldn't afford to spend the $50 to get it pressure and then end up finding out that there was nothing wrong it. Oh well that is only $110 I wasted and $300 missing. I allready broke some shit, so after I found that I wasted another $50. :mad: Basically that is a lot of money on my buget. But if it is bad then I can swap what is suppose to be my good head (130Kmiles) for the crapy one with 210K miles on it. I don't now if that makes sense to all of you but it sure as hell dosen't to me.
:rant: :mad: :banghead: :pissed: :angry:
(Shit I wish I knew what the smiley thing for jump off a really tall bridge was. I mean I have done it once and I wasen't even drunk :beer: )

Justin86
06-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by BITESIZE
I'd probably worry about getting a job, before getting your car fixed, at least it drives. Sorry I had to say it. Anyways good luck with your car. I hope you figure it out, because after all you deserve to have a good car, since you take care of her.
Right now I say fuck that piece of shit. I can drive my truck.

AccordEpicenter
06-27-2003, 04:12 AM
sounds like either terribly bad rings (youd be smoking and burning oil like a mofo) or you need a head or valve work. Id swap heads first, if that doesnt solve it, just get another engine, its easier just swapping one than figuring out why you have low compression in one cyl. Your other numbers look good, my friend with a 120k miles on his 95 D16 civic only has 140psi across the board... and that engine is supposed to have a higher compression ratio then yours...

Justin86
06-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Well that is what I'm affraid of is head work cause I'm broke. I have the other head but it has a lot of miles on it. Well I had really good compression before 150PSI for all four, then all shit broke loose.

mindlos
06-27-2003, 09:11 AM
I totally understand where you are coming from. Troubleshooting is a bitch if you dont have peace of mind, which is really what paying for test gets you even if it leaves you in the poor house. I hope you get this resolved as easily as possible.

Justin86
06-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Well I think I'm going to try and use the old head. I just need to find the 4 studs that are missing from it.