PDA

View Full Version : help removing egr pipe

buish
06-26-2003, 10:58 PM
i removed the egr pipe from the exhaust manifold and also loosen the other end, but i can't seem to get it out. there are a bunch of hoses blocking its way out. i think it might work if i remove a coolant hose that is in the way, but not sure if the rest of the pipe can still fit through. also, what do i do with the metal housing and black housing there the airbox that the egr pipe connects to? can i remove them too? is there anything i need to block off or plug up?

is there a easy to do it? i have a 88 accord dx.

A20A1
06-26-2003, 11:32 PM
first off why are you removing the EGR pipe?

second I recomend removing the distributor after you mark the dirtributors location, that will help you remove the thermostat housing... you may want to get some sealant and possibly a new gasket... but it's up to you.

buish
06-26-2003, 11:49 PM
i installed headers and have no use for egr. so far, i just left the hose on, and put some paper towel with wire around it.

A20A1
06-27-2003, 12:42 AM
P-P-Paper towel??

The EGR won't function without a vacuum line hooked up to it, so the valve isn't drawing in air.

Immeraufdemhund
06-27-2003, 11:10 AM
why dont you need an egr? I thought our cars needed egr. Mine does weird stuff without the egr. With my friends 89lx it is kinda a pain to get it off. But then again his pipe is stuck in the exaust manifold. oh well.

bobafett
06-27-2003, 12:14 PM
i am curious how we dont need EGR with headers. i would love to get rid of that peice of shit EGR pipe on my car... :)

dj_004
06-27-2003, 01:05 PM
what the hell is a EGR pipe???

and i just recently took off my headers and painted them and they are a PAIN to get off!!!

buish
06-27-2003, 01:46 PM
my bad, its actually the air suction pipe.

joker2
06-28-2003, 05:21 AM
Yeah, why do we need the EGR???

Justin86
06-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Ok I"m not sure on if you really need the air suction or not. If you haven't notice a difference in performance then I don't see why you can't.
The EGR you need. It is what controls your idle. With out it your car will die all the time. So you better learn how to apply the brake and the accelerator and the same time with one foot. I have to do it cause my EGR selonid valve is shot.

joker2
06-28-2003, 08:30 PM
That's interesting, I never knew that........ One day I disconnected the connector to the EGR and noticed that my car did idle kind of funny but it never cut off and it never threw a code to the ECU......:confused:

k-roy
07-31-2003, 02:04 PM
I just removed my air suction and egr lines from my carbed 87.
The idle was rough before I retuned the carb and the Ignition Timing. After that it is runs strong. I used PB lube, a vise-grip and a jack to loosen the pipes onn the manifold, after removing the ac and distributor. Lots of fun.

A20A1
07-31-2003, 09:31 PM
You have an LXI the ecu is just doing it's thing when it lost the signal from the EGR.

As for the EGR controlling idle on the LX DX... it doesn't. the EGR is EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION. It's for emissions. The only way it would effect idle is if you created a vacuum leak somewhere when you removed the vacuum line to disable the valve.

The air suction pipe is also for emissions and only the LX DX has one

Dibbs
08-01-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
You have an LXI the ecu is just doing it's thing when it lost the signal from the EGR.

What do you mean by the ECU "Doing it's thing?" Do you mean the car sets itself in that sluggish "auto" mode like when the TPS or oxygen sensor goes out? I have bypassed the EGR before but only on carbed automobiles. I would love to yank the EGR system outta my car if I could b/c I'm havin' much problems with it at the moment (check thread)

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21430

joker2
08-01-2003, 06:20 AM
So basically A20A1, your saying that the ECU is just compensating for the lose of the EGR, so if you have a LX-I then you can disregard it..........