PDA

View Full Version : Aerodeck in USA???

Admiral
06-27-2003, 12:00 PM
I was looking at Paul Aerodeck's site when I got a wild hair to look and see if it was possible to have the Accord Aerodeck Imported from Russia or the UK or from somewhere. Whether it would be street legal in USA I assume it would be better to find on with a left side steering wheel. So . . . um . . . is it possible?

pimp86LX
06-27-2003, 12:11 PM
you would have to ask the trasportation ministry. or whatever the USA equvilant is. Different countries have different saftey standards and sometimes they wont allow it unless its modified and passes a safter inspection. I know of a guy who wanted to import an 89 grand prix turbo (very rare car) and the front bumper wasn't legal in canada so he had to import it as a "show car" and it wasn't street legal.

Admiral
06-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Ah the Dept of Trans. I'll look them up. But I was wondering the cost of such a venture. And how i would get it here.

Do they have Aeodecks in Canada?

SiR
06-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Admiral
Do they have Aeodecks in Canada?

I wish...

shepherd79
06-27-2003, 12:22 PM
shipping would run you about $1500-2000 on a ship.
I know you can get Aerodecks in Europe cheap, under $2000.
in my opinion, it is not worth it because you will end up paying more for shipping than car itself.

pimp86LX
06-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SiR
I wish...

yah tha'd be sweet

Canada has the "type-s" wich is just the hatch back, and if i remember right we have lx, ex, ex-i's

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Get a 91 Civic and do 86-89 Accord headlight conversion. Tadda! Aerodeck

NXRacer
06-27-2003, 01:10 PM
shipping would run you about $1500-2000 on a ship.

I dont know if it would be that expensive. I found a place that ships cars from Japan to the usa and it only costs 900 to ship. I was reading on a website about importing cars and they said that if the car you're importing is similar to one made in the US then you can sometimes bypass the changes you have to do to make it pass regs. It was a lot of reading though. Any way you go, its gonna be a HUGE pain in the ass. Another way to do it is just use the VIN # off a diff car and give that to the DMV.......

mykwikcoupe
06-27-2003, 03:55 PM
I looked into it a while back and the responce that I got was you cannot have a working running vehicle shipped into the USA, I dont know about Cananda. You would first have to find an import exporter with some kind of auto lisence. I dont remember off hand what the actual name of this lisence is called. From there you would have the vehicle inspected by the state or federal agency of such matter. They would tell you what you must change to make said vehicle legal at the time of manufacture by US EPA standards. If you did get the stamp of approval you would then be able to get the car the vehicle to working condition. You can however have the owner of the car remove the distributor and wires to make the vehicle npon functioning. Its a simple fix but alot more hassle then I am caring to deal with. When i had my city turbo shipping over from NZ I bought the entire car and with everything said and done all I had shipped was the front cut. Way to much hassle to get the whole car but if its what you want then more power to you. Mike

NXRacer
06-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by mykwikcoupe
I looked into it a while back and the responce that I got was you cannot have a working running vehicle shipped into the USA.......

according to:

http://www.batfa.com/

they ship their cars in full working order directly from tokyo to USA. I was thinking about getting a 93 teg here (doesnt even have to work) importing one for ~3k and just swapping EVERYTHING to the USA car. That way you could have a totally legal JDM RHD teg!! They also had hatchbacks for like 1800. And shipping is only 900 on all their cars! It sure would be a HELL of a lot cheaper then trying to track down all the JDM stuff and buying it separately.

now if i can only come up with a spare 4K.............

A20A1
06-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Shoot i would import it and drive it anyways... legal or not.

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2003, 12:27 AM
i'm with a20a1 on this one... or just switch the VIN from a hatchback... that might be possible since the aerodeck technically is a hatch

Admiral
06-28-2003, 05:31 AM
thanks guys looks like ill have to build some more capital before i even attempt to make this work.

wprocomp
06-28-2003, 10:49 AM
skyline baby!:D

A20A1
06-28-2003, 11:41 AM
AERODECK > SKYLINE :D

'A20A3'
06-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
AERODECK > SKYLINE :D

:stupid:

mykwikcoupe
06-29-2003, 10:54 PM
you guys should livbe over here. Therers 2 skylines that I know of. Ones blue and beautiful I think the other is white or silver or something. He said total cost to recieve the car new was just about $90K. It sure is pretty though