PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder going?

88' Accord Ltd
06-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Ok so I'm in the drive thru at mcdonalds and I noticed that I could push the brake pedal down A LOT more than I normally can, I'm talking like an inch from the floor! :eek: At this point I'm going kinda crazy thinking I'm going to have my brakes go out on me on the way home! I began driving again and they are fine when I'm up to speed...:wtf: I'm thinking ok maybe it was a one time thing. Next red light it does the same thing....and continues to but only at an idle or at low rpms. I'm thinking its my master cylinder starting to go out on me. The brakes are all bled and no leaks. What do you guys think?

EDIT: The fluid is at the proper level too.

Chrome_thangs
06-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Try stopping on some sort of incline. Just hold the brake pedal. Does it slowly lose it's braking power, like the pedal going soft? If so, then yes you definately need to replace the master cylinder.

joker2
06-28-2003, 05:19 AM
Yep, same problem here..... Happen to me 3 days ago and I was like what the f@#k!!! Scary feeling isn't it......:D

88' Accord Ltd
06-30-2003, 05:20 PM
If anyone is interested to know, I replaced the master cylinder today...problem solved! I knew it was time to replace it when the brake pedal went to the floor and I had no brakes coming up to a red light last night!! :mad:

bctempest
06-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Ive had this prob for a few months now, ill fix it soon!!