PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Like a Diesel

bigpoppa88
06-27-2003, 09:32 PM
88 Honda DX, Carb , 5 speed. The engine literally sounds like a diesel engine at idle and LOUD as hell, with the tach jumping all over the frikin' place. Stays, but not as bad with the engine at high idle (5 G)! Any thoughts? I've replaced 2 different distributors, taken the belts off of all the pullys to eliminate those sounds, still there and still LOUD as hell! Kinda sounds like it's from the bottom end, but I don't understand why the tach would be so erratic??

A20A1
06-27-2003, 10:59 PM
did you check the plugs? and wires?

you might also have a loose ground wire, or some other wire on the battery / fues box / inside the distributor... or a wire grounding when it's not supposed to.

Also cehck the distributor stator allignment... where did you buy your replacement distributors from?

and did you get all new cap and rotor?

SIKWITIT420
06-28-2003, 09:01 AM
what is all this electrical diagnosing? it sounds like your valves need to be adjusted to me. did you even check the oil level?:huh:

bigpoppa88
06-28-2003, 02:50 PM
I checked all wires and plugs, pulled each one off, one by one as engine was running, removed the plugs to see if the heads were damaged (thought something might of gotten into one of the cylinders. It sounds that loud and rattling). The 2 other distributors were taken off known previous running hondas from a mechanic. Inter switched the rotors and caps etc.... As far as valves, I doubt it as the sound is definately not a "tick" sound and not high in the engine, the fluids are up ALWAYS, as I'm very diligent about checking fluids.

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll check all electrical connections etc.....

88' Accord Ltd
06-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by SIKWITIT420
what is all this electrical diagnosing? it sounds like your valves need to be adjusted to me. did you even check the oil level?:huh:

Its definately not the valves, I've heard it myself and can say that for a fact. Valve tapping is sort of quiet, this thing is LOUD!:eek: Its got me puzzled too..:confused:

rdn
06-29-2003, 01:12 AM
well...mine sounds like a diesel too...and i know it's the valves...in my case, it's because of a bad camshaft

A20A1
06-29-2003, 01:52 AM
he said his tach was jumping, thats why I went straight to electrical

If he just said bad idle problems... then I would assume valves... or other mechanical problems.

cruznz
06-29-2003, 03:55 AM
hmmm....coil fault?,...for the tach probs

As for the bottom end noise,...bearings, loose flywheel/clutch,exhaust leaks maybe?

PhydeauX
06-29-2003, 04:28 AM
If its knocking that bad the first thing I'd look at would be the timing.

andy

bigpoppa88
06-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Again, thanks for all who reply! Gives me a new list to check. The information here is supreme!!