PDA

View Full Version : automatic tranny dipstick

ozzmosis
06-27-2003, 10:43 PM
I have an 1988 Accord LX carb and i can't seem to locate the automatic tranny dipstick. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Check in that area...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p62d70787accb33cb428dcadb0c687809/fbd206e9.jpg

chiller670
06-27-2003, 11:01 PM
you gotta slide that tube thats circled, reach down and twist it out, its kind of under the distributor.

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-28-2003, 09:21 AM
i got the 89lxi and i've still not found mine either. i'll try checking in that area as well.

SiR
06-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ozzmosis
I have an 1988 Accord LX carb and i can't seem to locate the automatic tranny dipstick. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

In the same area highlighted by "?^? ?(?¿?)? ?^?", its pictured down there. (Top of the tranny is pretty dirty, thats what happens when you dont wash it since new in 17 years!)

88 Accord DX
06-28-2003, 12:39 PM
its its a bitch to get too. i was adding some stuff that said to add it when the engine was hot. that was a fun job.

DBMaster
06-28-2003, 12:45 PM
I usually use a pair of slip joint pliers to break it loose each time. Makes it easier to reach, too. I only hadn tighten it, but it seems to get locked in place a bit and I can't get the leverage to break it loose. I like the later model dipsticks better. They are more like oil dipsticks.

charlesb2003
06-29-2003, 10:21 AM
how do you get the pliers on it? i've been trying to get mine off and it's stuck and there's no way i can fit pliers in the area where it's at... and i just got the car and i'm worried it might be low on fluid cuz the tranny shifts rough.

DBMaster
06-29-2003, 12:30 PM
I just used a pair of regular pliers with the keyhole-shaped slip joint. You don't really grab the handle, it just gives you a little better leverage. This is not something I can explain in writing.

I doubt it is cross threaded as you mentioned in your post elsewhere. They just stick, especially if it has been months, or years since the last time removed.

Not sure what you mean by "rough." The 3g transmission is a much more "positive" shifting transmission that the newer ones, meaning you will feel the shifts (very noticeable). There's not a lot of clutch slippage when it shifts. This is one reason that they last so long.

I had another idea, but have never tried it. I wonder if one of those tools they make for shutting off the water to your house at the meter might be helpful in breaking loose the tranny dipstick...

charlesb2003
06-29-2003, 08:10 PM
you know i was thinking of that! i need to try one cuz i can't see how pliers would fit. and i wouldn't be suprised if it hasn't been off in a while... the guy who had the car kept it up immaculately inside and out but the engine, although in good shape, doesn't appear to have been fooled with much. the air filter was FILTHY when i got it...

and i have another 3gee with a rebuilt tranny.. it's my mom's actually. i know how it's supposed to feel when it shifts and mine is much rougher. like it will rattle the dashboard when it shifts and u can feel your head jerk.

njpeter
06-30-2003, 04:22 AM
I used a heavy duty bar-b-q- fork the first time I had to get that $$^$&^% stick out.

rubber gloves and a long sleeve jacket ( that can turn into a n oil rag) are a must.

hsoe the area down with gunk first..you don't want ANY of that crap getting into t he tranny oil

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-01-2003, 08:14 AM
the tools for shutting off your water do work. i went out and checked my level yesterday. i went in the garage and got ours to try it. they work perfectly, and when i checked my level it was good. that's a small load off of my mind.

charlesb2003
07-13-2003, 04:42 PM
i finally got it off! i used a piece of chainlink fence post that was smashed flat on one end to fit over the little handle piece on the cap. changed my fluid with mobil 1 atf and some lucas transmission fix and no more rough shifts! :D