PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise coming from camshaft and it stalls

gscream
06-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Well the problem is that my car will not stay on!! I've been driving with my feet on the brake and gas pedal. There is no vacuum leak cause that was the problem last time and I found it and it ran very well for about 5 days. But during those 5 days I all of a sudden started hearing a ticking noise coming from the camshaft(or the oil cover...whatever). My girlfriend says that it sounds like a lawn mower when I speed up. When I go fast, to me it sounds like a playing card flipping through a bicycle's wheels. Here's a list of things that i know it's not:
fuel filters
low oil
vacuum leak
distributor
spark plugs or wires
air filter

Can anybody tell me what the knocking noise is and why my car keep stalling(hopefully they go together):D ??????

gscream
06-27-2003, 11:21 PM
One more thing, the noise appears to be coming from the right side the camshaft...if your standing in front of the hood facing the car.

anchovies
06-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Take off the timing belt cover and take a look at the belt.
It might also be an ignition timing related problem set too high causing it to ping.

gscream
06-28-2003, 09:39 AM
I looked at the belt and it's not missing any teeth nor is it rounded. I think it's the one that's been on the car since the vehicle was made because it says HONDA on it but I'm not sure. But if it is, I have a little over 170,000 miles on the car. I probably put 60,000 on there myself. But I just talked to this shade tree mechanic and he said that he doesn't think it's the timing belt. ALthough I need a replacement because the one I have is old. How else can you tell when you need a new one?