PDA

View Full Version : Random moments when the car won't start

L Squared
06-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Hey y'all,
It's been forever since i looked at the board. My life got extremely busy so i've lost touch with the board.

Anyway, I've been having this sporadic problem with my car. Every once in a while it won't start. And it doesn't seem to have a pattern. The car turns and turns and it won't turn over completely. If i let it sit a while (no set time always a random ammount of time) it'll start and run just fine

I'm trying to figure it out since i'm taking a trip to FL in july and i want to make sure it won't happen at a rest stop or something.

Here are my ideas on what it could be which one makes the most sence to everyone.

-Fuel filter: It seems to me that if the filter was cloged it wouldn't start at all. I could be wrong as I often am.

-Cloged injectors: Causing the fuel not to spray and flooding out the plugs. This seems like a stretch but next time i fill up some injector cleaner if going in the tank.

-Fuel Pump: Something is making a bad connection everyonce in a while. Or maybe it's a sign that it's going to go out completely. Odd since it runs fine once it starts.

-Fuel pump relay: I managed to see some old post about this and i suppose it's entirely possible. Although i'm not sure how to tell that this is the problem.

I'm convinced that it's in my fuel delivery as it runs fine once it starts. It doesn't miss although it kinda sputters a little when you do try to start it. It seems to take a little more cranking that it used to.

Anyways those are my thoughts on it and if you read to the end of this long post thanks for the time. Any ideas and solutions are welcome.

Thanks!

-Lē

anchovies
06-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Sounds like main relay.

Hondastar
07-12-2003, 06:50 PM
It sounds like the fuel injection main relay. Turn the key to the on position and listen if you dont hear a clicking noise its the relay. It will work on and off. Another symptom is that you can keep turning the engine over and over and it wont start.

DBMaster
07-13-2003, 01:31 PM
When you turn the key to the "ON" position you should hear a brief click. The check engine light comes on for two seconds, and then you should hear a second click. Both clicks come from the far driver's side of the dash. When my relay went bad I was not hearing the second click.

What the clicks are is the relay sending power to the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail. The second click is the relay cutting power.

Mine would turn over, then stall immediately. The problem was only apparent in the summer when the interior got hot. I got it to work for a while by opening up the relay and dousing it with tuner cleaner, but I replaced it just to be on the safe side. Not worth getting stuck somewhere to save $37 plus shipping. (hondaautomotiveparts.com)

Later!

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-13-2003, 05:39 PM
I agree with the the other guys on the main relay. But, say you're driving and the engines at operating temp & you turn it off for like 5 minutes If the car seems to flood when you try to start it. then replace your ECT sensor (engine coolant temp). It's also called a TW sensor (temperature water). Both were going bad when I got my car, both replaced and now no worries!

L Squared
07-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey all,
Thanks for the replys and all i replaced the relay and problem solved! Now to fix the plethera of other problems! Whoo hoo!

-Lē

MrBen
07-13-2003, 07:38 PM
:lol

I know what you mean! Balljoint (rear), trunklid (dented), touch up paint. Oh yeah and a new engine (250,000 miles on it).

Ugh.