PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the PC Valve

gscream
06-28-2003, 10:16 AM
I need REALLY good instructions on how to change the pc valve on a 87 DX with a carb. If possible, pictures would REALLY help.

if you want I can be reached at [email protected]

Justin86
06-28-2003, 02:34 PM
You are talking about the crank case breather. I don't have any pics but I belive you can do it with out taking off your intake manifold. Since yours is carded you will want to take off the air intake to start. If you can reach it my going inbetween the firewall and carb try taking off the small hose. This will allow you to take off the actuall valve which is stuck into the manifold. Also take off the hose that connects to the top of the valve. If you can do it this way you need to remove the manifold. If you can get a repair manual it will give you a pic of the what you need to take off.

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
You are talking about the crank case breather. I don't have any pics but I belive you can do it with out taking off your intake manifold. Since yours is carded you will want to take off the air intake to start. If you can reach it my going inbetween the firewall and carb try taking off the small hose. This will allow you to take off the actuall valve which is stuck into the manifold. Also take off the hose that connects to the top of the valve. If you can do it this way you need to remove the manifold. If you can get a repair manual it will give you a pic of the what you need to take off.

hi! what about the pcv valve of an 88 dx carb'd? im kinda confused too as to how to get it. thanks much!!

Justin86
06-28-2003, 10:05 PM
It is the same location. If you can get a manual or download the one here on 3geez it will give you a pic of what it looks like. If I only had a digi I could post some pics of this damn PCV.

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 10:09 PM
so its bet the carb and the firewall?

or is it the u shaped hose bet the engine and the carb?

Justin86
06-28-2003, 10:32 PM
God damn I need a digi. Yes it is the U shaped hose on the carbs. One part of the hose will hook up to a solid conector that is part of the manifold. The other conector is the PC Valve. It will have what looks like a ruber seal around it. The seal is actually a hose that runs down the backside of the engine to a black box. The hose is only 3in long. You need to remove that hose in order to take the PC Valve out of it. If you can remove the valve with it still stuck between the manifold do it, but it won't be easy. If all else fails remove the intake manifold. WHAT ever you do, Do not cut that 3in hose unless it is all ready damage beyond reapir cause that little hose will cost you around $20.

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 10:41 PM
dang, thanks man i never knew the pcv replacement of this car would be that meticolous.

A20A1
06-29-2003, 02:32 AM
For the valve you just remove the air box and pull the valve out of the plastic hose. The manifold holds the plastic hose in place and the majority of times the rim of the hose cracks or bits of the PC valve snap off inside the hose.

The U shaped vacuum line that connects the top of the PC valve to the manifold vacuum port may or may not need to be replaced... problem is buying straight segments of vacuum hoses to replace it will not work since the bend is too tight and you'll end up crimping the vacuum line.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12208

the link above shows you how to remove the air cleaner... the majority of the info you can ignore since you're just removing the air cleaner.

red dots in the pic are the 10mm bolts you need to remove the get the air cleaner out. there are a few vacuum lines that run under the air cleaner... most of the time you can get away with just unplugging one vacuum line and removing the hose from the valve cover as well as the plastic tube on the right side, just enough so you can slide the air cleaner out of the way. To completely remove the air cleaner, i think you need to disconnect 4 vacuum lines... and the air intake temp sensor electrical connection as well as the pre-heater hose and plastic intake ducting to the left.

A20A1
06-29-2003, 02:47 AM
I don't know why i can't find pics of the PC Valve.
I have a tone of the manifold itself though.

This just shows you were the valve is.

Some have a plastic valve... others may have a metal PC valve.
It may be year dependant.
I know my car (89) never had a rubber grommet.... but the earlier 86 did use grommet.