PDA

View Full Version : b16a installed !!

LxiCoupe
06-09-2002, 01:46 PM
sup guys.. the b16 is finally in. It has some problems that i need to work on.. but at least i can drive it. Apparently the stock 3g tach isnt compatible with the b16 so it bounces around like a crack baby. There are also some vibrations at certain rpms because the stock b16 exhaust manifold touches the crossmember. well here are some pics. comments??

LxiCoupe
06-09-2002, 01:47 PM
place racing mounts...
driver side

LxiCoupe
06-09-2002, 01:48 PM
PRI passenger side mount..

LxiCoupe
06-09-2002, 01:49 PM
crossmember... the clearance problem should be solved with a DC sports header.. hehe

LxiCoupe
06-09-2002, 01:50 PM
someone from 3geez once told me that i never show my interior enough... so here is a pic of the interior.. slight changes since the last pics. so what you guys think? i know i need to clean up the wiring.. looks ghetto right now. see ya

CARBurn
06-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Everything looks cool, especially the interior, looks like I'm not the only one without a leather boot for my shifter.

You did motor swap and interior work yourself?

Again nice job.

88LXi68
06-09-2002, 03:28 PM
Looks good now you can help me out on my swap! :) I need to know if you used the PRI wire harness kit? If so what does it do? They havent gotten back to me! Did you use their axles and shift linkages? Looks great and its going to be a nasty little sleeper!

gruvmstr206
06-09-2002, 04:38 PM
good good job!!!!! Im sure it feels weird to be driving the 3gee with so much power? More pics please!!

damackz
06-09-2002, 05:22 PM
NICE!!!! good job man hopefully u will be terrorizing tha streets once u got all tha kinks worked out :pimp: love tha interior also

MoonScryer
06-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Goood swap...too bad the salt air there turned your car into a sand pit :p

Clean the engine! Good pics of the mounts...i saved those...

89AccordNate
06-09-2002, 07:45 PM
So is there a HUGE power difference? Give us the low down on torque, low end and take off and stuff like that.

Nate.

HondaSi88
06-09-2002, 07:56 PM
how much did the engine cost? and where did u buy it from?
any info on the axles and ecu

Chris86Lxi
06-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Nice swap man. How much of a gain can you notice? How much horsepower to you estimate you got now?

Chris

A20A1
06-09-2002, 08:35 PM
Nice, but I still wanna see it in person... and then you can see my car... but I posted pics too.. :stick: :D

POS carb
06-09-2002, 10:05 PM
needs soap :p

otherwise, nice job!

LxiCoupe
06-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Sorry to say i didnt do the swap myself. i wanted to but figured the speed shop knew better than me so i paid $3650 for everything.

Top end HP is killer. Low end power is something to be desired. But as soon as VTEC kicks it starts screaming all the way to 8000 rpm, hit 2nd gear and you got rubber. Its pretty much stock now.. just a short ram intake which sucks air right off the transmission (peice of $hit).

The interior work was done entirely myself, with the assistance of my girlfriend for the parts that required more than two hands. Interior work is frustrating but pays off. An upolstry shop wanted $500 just to do my seats, so I got seat covers :flip:

my engine bay is really dirty I know. Should've seen it before. Thats what it looks like AFTER degreasing it with Gunk Engine Degreaser. I think someone must have gone driving with the oil filler cap off or something. It's nasty !

Hopefully sometime soon I'm gonna head down to the track for a baseline 1/4 mile time. Then see how the mods stack up.

Neuspeed87lx
06-14-2002, 05:18 AM
nice man ... you paid 3650 for everything? including the motor? if that does include the motor thats a real good price....how many miles on the motor?

88LXiHB
06-14-2002, 08:22 AM
I love your car.

That is all. :)

LxiCoupe
06-14-2002, 10:25 AM
well.. thanks 88lxihb

went to the track. Kinda disapointing. I only ran twice because the line was long. And I posted a best time of 16.7 @ 86mph burning all the way through 1st. There was a Del Sol Si there running Mid 16's too though and that has a b16 stock. Well, lets see what CAI, Headers, HI-Flow Cat and 2.25" Mandrel Bent exhaust and a Mugen Chip does to that ET.

Or maybe if I fix my tach, I could see where I'm shifting?

LxiCoupe
06-14-2002, 10:27 AM
nice sketch by the way 88lxihb

neuspeed, yes that is everything. Engine has 30,000 miles on it from japan. b16a1. Mounts are from place racing, I have yet to find out what computer and axles the shop used. When I do i'll let you guys know.

88LXi68
06-14-2002, 03:38 PM
16.7 is kind of disappointing but that thing is BONE stock so thats not tooo bad. An A20A3 with I/H/E is somewhere around there so figure a b16 with that will be faster. Is the track in high elevation? if so that would mean a lesser time as well.

staticpat
06-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by LxiCoupe
And I posted a best time of 16.7

is that why its called a B16, how can i swap in a B3?? sorry couldn't resist :)

LxiCoupe
06-14-2002, 07:17 PM
nope... the track is damn near sea level. I think I could've hit 16.4 if I got some more runs in to set up my launch. And I just "found" the rev limiter in 1st gear around 32mph. 2nd goes to 65mph and 3rd 97mph. 4th is unknown.... for now

staticpat,
good luck on that b3 swap! :wave:

LxiCoupe
06-14-2002, 07:30 PM
88LXi68,
you asked about the axles and wiring earlier. I called the shop and they said they used the PRI axles. Someone before said that integra axes could be used but I'm not sure. Try asking PRI. The PRI modified harness wasnt used on my swap. But from what I hear, its all plug and play. And you'll pay the price for it too.
Get a b18c if you can. It has12lbs more torque.

1989 DX R
06-14-2002, 09:40 PM
Its an auto? I'm so sorry.

Nice swap anyways! :super:

OldSchoolSwap
06-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Nice swap dude! After major practice in the strip with good wide sticky tires and a good tune up.... You should hit the 15's like I did. Just keep practicing and you'll get there, its a hole new world! Welcome to the club my friend ;)

LxiCoupe
06-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Oldschool, thanks for the support man. I just expected the b16 to run 15's out of the box, or at least low 16's. I have pretty sticky toyo FZ4's up front so traction shouldnt be much of a problem there. I dunno. What did you mean exactly by "its a hole new world"?

1989 DX R
Auto? where did you get that idea? I dont mix with Autos. I wouldve used my Lx-i for parts if it was auto. I once read in Sport Compact Car, "the most efficient way to ruin a good car is to put in an automatic transmission." Check out the pic man.

1989 DX R
06-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Oh, sorry, I read your post about the traction problems, and the speed limiters and I immediately though *automatic*

*slaps head*:banghead:

LxiCoupe
06-25-2002, 07:59 PM
earlier I said I was going to find out what computer was used. So I finally did. The computer is a JDM PR3. Chips are easy to find for that. Just search ebay. I just picked one up. It lowers the VTEC crossover to 4,500 instead of 5,500 and gives the engine more air and fuel. Also removes the speed governor. Should be good for 10hp and two-tenths off the et.

-peace

TeamAGR
08-24-2002, 08:42 PM
seriously I thought alot of you guys were crazy 4 thinkin of B16's
but thats a nice install man I give you credit, I'm a mechanic and I know exactly how hard it is to do that. I still wouldnt do that but thats jus a opinion, to me my accord is for rollin not racin I woulda bought a civic and gutted it etc but I like my options and 4 doors
I gotta say though theres gonna be alot of surprised faces at the races. amazing job u got me thinkin twice
p.s how much does this accord weigh? and how much are those mounts?

netfreak
08-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Loving it :D

2Fast_Fiero
08-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Did you have anything to do with the swap? Like I mean do you know of any other problems Durring the swap? Because my Favorite swap is a B18 GSR motor, I've done a few of them in Honda Civics, and one in a CRX with no problems, but never a car like the Accord LXi, I won't be thinking of a swap for a while now, not for atleast a year or more. Right now I'm gonna worry about the body, suspension and performance of my SOHC A20A3 motor.

LxiCoupe
08-25-2002, 08:49 PM
TeamAGR
Thanks man, the Lx-i weighs 2650 I think, or close to it. Thats only about 100lbs more than the 00 SI with the same engine. There are a lot of surprised faces and questions at the races. I tell most of them that the car is all stock (with a smile). The mounts are from Place Racing, $637.00 for the set of three. I also picked up the axles for around $170 each side.

MSIAccord_LXi
I was considering doing the swap myself but turned it over to a shop. I figured they knew better. There are a couple of problems. The wire harness has to have some wires added for VTEC and Knock sensor. The other is Header clearance. The stock manifold is pretty close to the front crossmember. Last, is the shift linkage. It needs to be cut and welded, or order one from Place Racing thats custom made.

A few weeks ago I wiped out the suspension drifting. I bent some control arms, trailing arms and bolts. And, I just found a pinch in the crossmember. I'll have to see if the car ever drives straight again.

-peace

89BlackH-Back
08-25-2002, 09:27 PM
wow man that really does look excellent, what kind of interior paint did you use??

night
08-25-2002, 10:33 PM
ever get any better times. you should be the exact same as an Si. low 15's for sure. Si's are 2612lbs
what tranny you have, is it a 4.4 FD ? if not that would be a big prob.

i ran a 15.8 with a stock 89 LXi engine at 2250lbs with me in it.
you better be beating that with a B16 :p

89BlackH-Back
08-26-2002, 09:01 AM
you know what man you should save like 3 geez and buy one of them vortechs that add like 117 hp than u will have your self really low in 1/4 mile times

LxiCoupe
08-26-2002, 09:45 PM
The Si comes with a way better suspension than our 3gz, sad to say. And my suspension was all stock at the time. 1st and 2nd was pretty much all wheel hop from launching at 5,000rpm. I might get a better time launching at 4k instead. I thought the Si's ran 15.6 with a professional driver??

I'm running a Y1 jdm 5speed cable trans. No LSD :mad:
I dont know the final drive, but the grearing is pretty tall. But I need the mileage, so I'll just have to increase the output instead of lowering the gears !

The interior is mostly real vinyl except for the dash and armrests. The paint is flexible interior paint color-matched to the vinyl. Its called SEM and runs $16 a can. The carpet is also dyed with SEM satin black. I couldnt stand that brown from honda.

I already considered the Vortech supercharger but dont have the cash now. I want to break into 14's all motor first and then go boost. But thats not for a while.

OldSchoolSwap
08-28-2002, 05:39 AM
Yeah the gears on the Y1 suck ass! I'm going back to S1 gears :) with LSD... fuck that :D

88LXi68
08-28-2002, 11:25 AM
I thought the Y1 had the nice short gears? :wtf:

OldSchoolSwap
08-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Nope! the S1 is better faster but the RPMs and fuel will kill highway cruzing a bit. But I don't mind it to much.

The S1 usually ran 80 MPH @ 4500 RPM in 5th gear. Anything over that RPM my VTEC would kick in and my fuel would drop like water draining down the toilet! :D

LxiCoupe
08-28-2002, 03:54 PM
yo oldschool... where can I get an S1?? and is that the close-ratio trans with LSD stock?

88LXi68
08-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Nope! the S1 is better faster but the RPMs and fuel will kill highway cruzing a bit. But I don't mind it to much.

The S1 usually ran 80 MPH @ 4500 RPM in 5th gear. Anything over that RPM my VTEC would kick in and my fuel would drop like water draining down the toilet! :D

Sounds like my current Prelude Si tranny. 5th Gear 80mph@4k

OldSchoolSwap
08-28-2002, 05:16 PM
yo oldschool... where can I get an S1?? and is that the close-ratio trans with LSD stock?
The S1 does not come with LSD. You will have to buy an aftermarket one. In my opinion thats the best tranny for drag racing but an LSD on that tranny would rock!

The Y1 is one of the trannies that come with an "Optional" LSD on several engines. Witch means that some trannies came with LSD and some didn't. In my case I had the S1 and drove it without gear oil for a while (forgot to check) :banghead: And fucked it up!
Then i went out and found the Y1 with the LSD and installed it. But the gears don't make me happy, it bogged down my engine noticably. So i'm looking into purchasing an S1 again and an aftermarket LSD is in serious consideration.

A clutch is also into plans as well. If i do decide to do all this, the engine swap will have to wait a few more months, till money comes around again. :)

OldSchoolSwap
08-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Oh! I almost forgot.
The shop where i got the tranny closed down, so i don' t know where to guide you.
Try calling these guys, they might be able to ship one over.

Pacific Performance
Steven 954-677-0205

LxiCoupe
08-29-2002, 11:46 PM
cool man, thanks

I doubt I have the funds. My 3g situation is not looking good. It still pulls right hard even after all the new parts. I found a crack and a bend in the body too so my hood doesnt fit right. The whole right side moved over with the impact I'm pretty sure. Looks like sometime soon I'm gonna need another coupe...
Anyone got a bare 2 door lx-i?

POS carb
08-31-2002, 06:51 PM
how much are the placeracing mounts??
Not to be a dick or anything but those mounts don't look like the price I remember unless they're all urethane

Grant2k
09-01-2002, 06:53 PM
i didn't read all the posts on this page cause i'm lazy, but did you have to fabricate anything on the motor mounts or did the engine drop in with like civic mounts or something?

88LXiHB
09-01-2002, 09:46 PM
You should read the thread before asking this sort of question...http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/squint.gif

He has the Place Racing mounts made for this exact swap.

OldSchoolSwap
09-02-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
how much are the placeracing mounts??
Not to be a dick or anything but those mounts don't look like the price I remember unless they're all urethane
I found a drastic drop on the mounts and harness at this location http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4979

As far as pictures and info on placeracing's mounts, go to my site under "new engine" and you'll find the links there.

OldSchoolSwap
09-05-2002, 08:51 AM
cool man, thanks

I doubt I have the funds. My 3g situation is not looking good. It still pulls right hard even after all the new parts. I found a crack and a bend in the body too so my hood doesnt fit right. The whole right side moved over with the impact I'm pretty sure. Looks like sometime soon I'm gonna need another coupe...
Anyone got a bare 2 door lx-i?
Dude that sucks! I wish you luck. If you lived here, i would've hooked you up with a shop i know that speciallizes in computerized suspension tuning. :(

accordracerlx-i
09-07-2002, 06:42 AM
nice engine but clean it up its dirty as hell .

87AccordsterLx
09-07-2002, 11:05 AM
my uncle clued me in on a little somethin' that he does to clean engines... just take it to one of those "do it yourself" car washes.... some of them have an option for engine cleaner instead of water or wax or whatever... it comes out green and is basically a high power jet spray with engine degreaser... soak it down and rinse it off... go to your local target or walmart or whatever and pick up a can of engine clear coat paint.... its just transparent paint ment for high temps... spray that on everything in the engine bay... wires... everything... it seals it all up and makes it look like you just cleaned it up everytime you hose it down... I'll post my pics tomorrow hopefully....

Mike's89AccordLX
09-07-2002, 11:48 AM
You probably wouldn't want clear coat paint on everything in the engine. Would you? I'm not certain, it just sounded a bit strange. I found out that disc brake cleaner spray works wonders also. You don't even have to rinse the spray off, it just goes away. Like Son Of A Gun tire cleaner. (foam shit)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-07-2002, 11:52 AM
I have a question about engine swaps. I have a 89 accord lx. What kind of swaps would be good and easy. Please include price estimates too. My dad is opening up an Autobody and Welding shop and I can do all of my stuff to my car there. I doubt I can handle a engine swap all by myself. I'd rather pay to have it done. Also mine is carbed, if I get a engine swap could it be FI? Or is it better to stick with carb?

87AccordsterLx
09-07-2002, 11:56 AM
*oops* sorry... lol... I ment everything thats not a moving part... belts...ect... :banghead: