PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster Lights

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi! I've just bought my '88 accord abt a month ago and when i bought it, it's gauge lights aren't working not only that but also the UV light, the A/C panel lights and the lights in the transmission as well. and whats weird is that when i turn on the head/parking lights, the lights in the instrument cluster that tells you what gear you're on goes out. and the clock dims by itself. I'm not really good in electrical so ive got a question: is this a problem big enough to go to an electrician? or is there a way in which money can be saved and experience be gained by doin' it ? thanks much! i appreciate all the help.

Justin86
06-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Do you know of any changes done to the car. New gauges etc. Also when you start up the car does the all the lights on the instrument cluster turn on like they should. Like the warning indactors,etc. You might have a bad ground.

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 10:36 PM
yeah they all light up like the seat belt warning, brake, batt. and thats what im thinkin too that its not grounded properly however... where do i start the hunt? and i think the recent owner placed an alarm system in it and prior to selling the vehicle, he disarmed it by cutting sum of the wires or shorting them. there's a lot of wires that have been cut when i got it.

Justin86
06-28-2003, 10:55 PM
You can start my taking out your gauges and make sure everthing is conected. It would be nice if I can see this but it would be alot drive. Try connecting the wires he cut. Also either buy a manual or download one and look at the dash wiring harness for help.

factorVIII
06-28-2003, 11:17 PM
the thing is... the wires i dunno where they came from coz they're lyin on the floor already i already took out the dash, checked the connectors and worked on it for 3 weeks already but i couldn't get it to work so i kinda placed a 6 inch black light in the ceiling of the panel (where the UV light is housed) and it gives a pathetic glow i mean the interior is just too dark at night. what about the transmission indicator? any guess on that one? thanks bro

bigpoppa88
06-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Did you check to see if the light bulbs in the gauge cluster work? In the Accord (lxi) I just bought half the dsah and the transmission shift indicator lights did not work. I replaced the bulbs and they were fine. Use a volt meter to see if the 12 volts is going to each socket or use it as a continuity tester on the bulb to check that the bulb is fine. The clock is suppose to dim when the panel / headlights are activated.

factorVIII
06-29-2003, 06:10 PM
ok ill test em and ill let you guys know, thanks!