PDA

View Full Version : Removed vacuum lines - few questions

Slaquer
06-29-2003, 05:55 AM
Followed the combined how-to articles from shepherd79 and Michael to remove my vacuum lines. Had a few questions I could not find answered in prior threads. I have an 89 DX.<br><br>

I got everything ran as per Michael's diagram except I could not find where to run 17, 18 and 19. The only thing I have near that location (on the bottom, driver side of the manifold(?)) is a small blue plastic piece sticking out, but it only has two places to hook up hoses, not three. Any ideas here?<br><br>

My fuel/air mixture screw on the carb seems to be missing. I would have expected a hole that ran into the internals of the carb, but it appears to only be about 1/8" deep before hitting metal. Is this the plug, or is this how it would appear if the screw is missing? I guess I don't understand how the screw works if it doesn't run into the internals of the carb. <br><br>

Also, I just recently replaced the head gasket on my Accord. Everything ran fine. Now, after pulling the lines, I get blue smoke out the tailpipe. Quite a bit actually. I know this usually indicated valve trouble of some sort, but why wouldn't I have seen this prior to removing the vacuum lines? Could this have something to do with the fuel/air screw?<br><br>

Thanks in advance.

A20A1
06-29-2003, 02:25 PM
hook up 18 and 19 to the one with 2 ports... I'm not sure which hose goes to which port though. and leave 17 disconnected.

Are you sure you don't have the third thermovalve? It might have snapped off. It should be right next to the thermovalve with 2 ports.

it's also possible the valve with 3 ports lost one of the ports from damage. so check for holes in the themovalve. Getting the valve off a car at the junk yard may be trouble some... if you do get a replacement... it''s best to chop the vacuum lines far from the valve so you don't risk snapping the plastic ports when removing the valve.

I don't think the air/fuel screw is causing the blue smoke.

BTW HTML code doesn't work

shepherd79
06-29-2003, 04:30 PM
you are hitting mixture screw plug. you have to remove it before you can get to the screw.

Slaquer
06-30-2003, 05:12 AM
From this link - Honda Parts (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=TUBING+%28CARB.%29) - I have #13 but not #11, or at least I cannot find #11. Do they break off regularly? Do I still hook up 18 and 19 to it?

What is the best way to remove the mixture plug? It feels like it is made of metal. If the plug and screw was missing, would it go straight through to the inside of the carb?

shepherd79
06-30-2003, 12:46 PM
hmmm that is strange. look on the back of you intake manifold (driver side). if it is broken off, you should replace it if you gonna do Mike's conversion.
the best way to remove the crew is to take the carb out and take the back piece off.
it can't be missing. if you have no mixture screw your carb wouldn't run at all.

Slaquer
06-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Ok cool - thanks Shep. I'll work on it tomorrow. What does that part do that I am missing and how will it effect the way the engine runs without it? It seems a lot better right now (except for that blue smoke).