PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a sunroof

88Geezer
06-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum, so let me quickly introduce myself. My name is Justin, I'm a student at Binghamton University and I'm driving a 1988 LXi (been in my family ever since when my grandpa bought it new :D ). I've been driving the car for almost 3 years now and I hope I can keep it going for many more. She's in reasonable shape, somewhat messy from the many projects I've tried but never completed. But all in all, its a great car.

My situation is this: I've been driving without a headliner for a while (long story) and I've finally found the time to redo the stupid thing myself. I have it all in there (looks pretty decent...for something homemade at least) but I'm having a lot of trouble putting in the sliding cover for the sunroof. I took the piece out a while ago (when I tore down the old headliner) and I can't remember how I did that. The old liner was carpet and the one I put in is vinyl, so it increased the thickness of the cover slightly, but I do not think that is the problem. Is there a certain way of getting it back in? Or would it be easier to take it to a place specializing in sunroof repair?

Also, while I'm on the subject of sunroofs, mine leaks pretty bad. I've tried blowing air up through the the drain tubes but doesnt seem to work. I took the window off today and I dont see anything that could be obstructing the holes in the back (where it leaks). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-30-2003, 04:25 PM
here ya go bro hope this helps! http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71

88Geezer
07-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks, but I've already read that thread and I did exactly what it said to do (clean the drain holes). In fact, as I mentioned above, I went one step further and took the glass piece off and checked to see if anything was blocking the rails or the drain. There was nothing that would be blocking the hole so could the water be coming in from somewhere else?

I tried once again yesterday with getting the sunroof cover back into the car. It almost seems too wide to get it into the rail that it slides on. I've tried putting it in sideways and bending it but no suck luck....has anyone else done this? Is these a certain method of getting this sucker back in?

:confused: