PDA

View Full Version : 17's?

LXIHATCHRIDE
06-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Yo can I put these Wheels from wheelmax on my car I have a 86 LXI HAtch I wanna put 17's on the stock suspension will I be ok

Jims 86LXI HB
06-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by LXIHATCHRIDE
Yo can I put these Wheels from wheelmax on my car I have a 86 LXI HAtch I wanna put 17's on the stock suspension will I be ok

If you were to search posts for comments on 17's (to many to really look at btw) you'd find several members that have complained about the ride on 17's. And I'll add a unique observation to that, a higher number of those guys are east of the missippi. Ask yourself how the roads are where you drive. That answer will be your biggest influence. One thing that won't help is if you get 17's that are heavier than the 16-18lbs stock rims. Heavier rims, are harder for the suspension to control, add the whole 1" or so of sidewall height that the correct 205/40-17 tire size has to the mix and that's why guys complain.

I think 17's do look the best, but if your concerned about how the stock suspension can deal with them, I'm inclinced to tell you to think about 16's a little harder. Certainly upgrading the suspension would help, but like I said keep the rim weight down as best you can. Less rim weight isn't just about performance.

goldyaccord
06-30-2003, 09:04 PM
One place to check out is Jaydm.com

they have some rota's in 17's that are 16 lbs. However, they wont let you do a tire/wheel deal in 17 inch. only up to 16.

If you want to do the best deal... I'd try those rota's and a set of falkens 451's from Vulcan tire sales

http://www.vulcantire.com/451_t.htm

goldyaccord
06-30-2003, 09:11 PM
one more thing to add, http://www.onlinetires.com/tires.htm

Onlinetire has them for 69 a tire, 276.00 a set. shipping is around 40 bucks. This beats vulcans price of 81 per tire and around 60 for shipping.

I should have checked that site too before replying. :)

hblxi87
07-01-2003, 04:19 PM
lxihatchride i am running 17 inch focal f5's on my 87 hatch and i live in ohio where the roads suck but i havent ran into any problems with my car yet and i have been running them for about one year and i am also on stock suspen. but thats not saying yours would be the same ..

Hash_man_Se_i
07-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Well I have been considering 17's, but logically, If i want to start doing autocross, I think 16's would be better, for weight reasons, and most likely handling. And now I have found 16's for $83 brand new ADR's.. or 17's for $120, CDN that is... HELLA CHEAP!