PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive.........aliiiiive!!!!!!!!!!!!

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-30-2003, 06:52 AM
OH MY WONDERFUL CAR IS ALIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I went outside yesterday with a pad and pen to do inventory on what i wanna do, what i would need and any measurements I might have to have. As several of you know, a couple of weeks ago the G was dead in the driveway. I went throught the list, trying to figure out what it was. I finally(well with help from guys here) figured it was the fuel pump that needed replacing. I even went and found out prices. While I was out there yesterday I figured I would try and start it again. I had let both doors sit open for a couple minutes, because of the massive heat build up in it. I got in, put in key and turned. Wu-wu-wu-wu, it's trying to kick over like before, just won't kick. I stop, pump the gas once and turn the key, hit the gas a little again and VROOOOOOOOMMMM. HALLELUJA, HALLELUJA, HALLELUJA it kicked over!!! I revved it a few times to makes sure it was getting the fuel through and that it wouldn't die. I turned it off and waited a minute, tried it again.......VROOM it's ALIVE. i actually got out with it on, and danced in my front yard. i am one happy mofo. i'm guessing it just wasn't picking up the fuel and i let it sit there long enough and tried it enough times after putting in some more gas, that it finally picked up. I figured I would have to prime the fuel injectors first, but i'm guessing they may be self priming, that's what happend to my dads truck. WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!
sorry this was so long, but my car is ALIVE!!!!!! YESSSS!!!:super:

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-30-2003, 01:03 PM
here is the stuff i plan on doing. it was the whole reason i was out there. it will be done a little at a time.
1. Valve cover gasket replacement
2. Candy apple red paint for tails
3. Chrome wheel paint for black window trim
4. Black spray paint for bumper trim
5. Mesh gutter guard for grill inserts
6. Pep Boys rotors (about $35 each)
7. Axxis metal masters- brake pads
8. Stainless steel braided brake lines

any suggestions would be helpful if their are better products out there.

jlaccord89lxi
06-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Hey man, how many times did you start and stop your car? I don't want to gett ya down cause you are really excited about your car working now, but my car did the same thing and it ended up being the fuel pump relay. If it randomly starts, and then sometimes doesn't do anything, it could still be the fuel pump or the relay. If you sit in it when everything around you is really quiet (no traffic etc.) and just turn the key to the "on" position without trying to start it, you will hear a faint hum and the warning light on your dash will go off when the hum stops. That is your fuel pump working and sending fuel to your engine. If it hums, then your engine will start, if it doesn;t hum, then your pump didn't send any fuel and that means the engine won't start cause either the relay or the pump is malfuntioning (probably the relay). The reason i'm saying this is because my car did the exact same thing yours did, it would start when it felt like it. Just thought id tell ya incase it happens again.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
Hey man, how many times did you start and stop your car? I don't want to gett ya down cause you are really excited about your car working now, but my car did the same thing and it ended up being the fuel pump relay. If it randomly starts, and then sometimes doesn't do anything, it could still be the fuel pump or the relay. If you sit in it when everything around you is really quiet (no traffic etc.) and just turn the key to the "on" position without trying to start it, you will hear a faint hum and the warning light on your dash will go off when the hum stops. That is your fuel pump working and sending fuel to your engine. If it hums, then your engine will start, if it doesn;t hum, then your pump didn't send any fuel and that means the engine won't start cause either the relay or the pump is malfuntioning (probably the relay). The reason i'm saying this is because my car did the exact same thing yours did, it would start when it felt like it. Just thought id tell ya incase it happens again.

Could it be the filter ?

Mike89Accordcom
06-30-2003, 03:08 PM
SSSWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Silver86LX
06-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Accords...they just won't quit!

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-01-2003, 08:05 AM
hahaha oh man. well, i took it out a few minutes ago to fill it up. it felt really sluggish, like it was working to get the fuel through. got to the gas station, fill it up and get in to leave. it did the same damn thing, just trying to kick over. i stopped and retried about 3 times, nothing. i call my mom and she calls the mechanic while i go in to tell them i'm gonna try and move my car out of the way. i go back out and tried it again, it started. hahaha, so i backed it up out of the way and shut it off. my mom called back to tell me the mechanic is on vacation, wheeee. i told her it fired, and i moved it. she tells me to get it home if i can. i start it and drive it home with my hazards on. i was on the main road, about to turn onto backroad and a jackass in a big pickup comes roarin up on my back bumper. i yell at him and turn off and make it home. i can't do anything about the car til the mechanic comes back NEXT WEEK. today sucks!!!!! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

buzzbomber88lx
07-01-2003, 09:39 AM
OMG!!! same problem i did the other day to my celica that sat for 3 years!!!! just popped a carter fuel pump in my 85 celica and it started right up!! hehe kinda fun!

buzzbomber88lx
07-01-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm gonna say adjust your fuel pressure with a fuel pressure guage and your regulator. also go ahead and put a new fuel filter on it.

jlaccord89lxi
07-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
Could it be the filter ?

wouldn't hurt to replace that either, but i didn't replace it on mine when i was having problems. It was definitely the relay that was shot on mine.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-01-2003, 02:27 PM
wouldn't hurt to replace that either, but i didn't replace it on mine when i was having problems. It was definitely the relay that was shot on mine.

I tried starting it last nite and I heard no humming!! Damm fuel filter!

jlaccord89lxi
07-01-2003, 02:39 PM
I tried starting it last nite and I heard no humming!! Damm fuel filter!

it is very faint, that's why it has to be really quiet. i used to own a rustang (mustang) and that one was really loud.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-01-2003, 02:43 PM
it is very faint, that's why it has to be really quiet. i used to own a rustang (mustang) and that one was really loud.

what's the difficulty level on replacing a Fuel Filter & Pump?

jlaccord89lxi
07-02-2003, 06:15 AM

Are you asking me to test my knowledge or because you really don't know? :confused: I'm no mechanic, but i know the fuel pump would be the hardest job since it is actually in the fuel tank. That would involve dropping the fuel tank and taking the pump out. As far as i know, the filter is at the front, attached to the left side of the firewall somewhere and i've been told its not that hard to replace. The fuel pump relay is under the dash, and if it hadn't been for my alarm wiring in the way, i would have seen it, but i got honda to replace it anyway. The sad thing is that i actually had an extra relay from a parts car i had and i didn't find it till after i had it replaced.

88' Accord Ltd
07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
To change the pump you don't have to drop out the gas tank. I though that in the trunk there are 2 panels behind the seat, one of them if the fuel pump and the other is something else I can't remember...

zero.counter
07-02-2003, 03:35 PM

I would say ona scale of 1 to 10 (10 being obviously high) a 3. I did not do it the preferred method, which involves seriously safetly precautions, just the scary fast method. My situation at the time was that I just got the car (I was commuting about 168 miles every weekend from home to school) and was all cool with my new accord going to college all shiny and immaculate, 119,567miles. i went to wal-mart before showing off to my friends to buy some dorm goodies and it was about 47F outside and went to start the car, nothing. I kept trying, it would just turn and I ahd a full charge according to the WAL-MART guys. They helped me pull it into the bay to see if it was a power issue (nice guys) or carb choke (spray did start the engine momentarily). They came to a possible fuel problem. I then had the car towed by a friend to some mechanic that checked the cut-off relay and said it was bad and wanted $100 for just the diagnostic. I had to pay him (sorry azz) and took it to a gentleman on the outskirts of town who was very intelligent with cars, especially Hondas. He said it was the fuel pump and sold his used one for $45, I was happy.

Here is where the operational procedure occured. He wanted $125 to replace and I was broke, so i learned on the fly (Haynes Manual). I did not drop the tank as it had only 1/4 left of fuel. I removed the carpet or peeled it back and made sure to disconnect the battery in its entirety. I wore no loose fitting garments or electronics and removed the left cover in the trunk. I promptly disconnected the fuel pump after pulling the assembly out and immediatley dropped it and the strainer assembly into a non-conductive bag in a wooden crate. I then re-attached the new pump and inserted (damn gas fumes). I (after washing any and all excess gasoline with lava and orange stuff) re-connected the battery and gave it 6 long and slow pumps, turned the key to start the pump and pumped several times again and it started. As closing, I applied some fresh liquid gasket to the seal in the trunk and replaced both the inline and external fuel filters as a precaution (they had been replaced not more than 2 months prior)

Sorry for the long story.

I would like to thank god for not sparking and ending my existence, the big halogen flood lights for their shedding some light on the matter, the middle eastern gentleman who sold me his fuel pump saving me $76. Ha...:D

zero.counter
07-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 88' Accord Ltd
To change the pump you don't have to drop out the gas tank. I though that in the trunk there are 2 panels behind the seat, one of them if the fuel pump and the other is something else I can't remember...
The other is the floater assembly

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-03-2003, 04:42 AM
the panels in the trunk........ i was looking in my trunk the other day and saw two areas that looked like a kind of "carpeting". thats the best word i can find to describe it. i thought they were put in because of some damage or something. did you have to remove your spare? the only thing is, i went the other day after it fired and filled it up. great, now i definetely have to take it to a shop. crap!!!!!!

buzzbomber88lx
07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
the other is the fuel level actuator for the fuel level guage or like zero says: the floater assembly. The fuel filter is easy to replace if it's inline(I honestly can't tell you where it is on a honda....don't have mine anymore!) but on my celica it's on the block under the intake runners. Now the fuel pump on the other ahnd is easy to replace. Just slip it out of the bracket and remove the fuel line and positive and negative wires and replace the new one just like the old one. But first I would test the pump to make sure it's bad. Pull the pump all the way out. Now get a bucket and pour some gas(not much) into the bucket and put the pump in but not all the way. Leave the hose on the pump! Now take a battery and hook the negative and possitive onto the pump and see if you hear it buzz and pump fuel. This can actually save you money. It may just be somewhat clogged. If it is clogged take it out of the bucket and see if it is spinning the little gear. If it is slow it may be rusty inside. Spray some carb cleaner into the fuel pump on the gear side and plug the batt. back into the pump and spray while it moves. You should always try to save a few bucks!!!
Hope I am somewhat of a help!