PDA

View Full Version : themostat

qh187
06-30-2003, 08:02 AM
how do i change it...where is it located?

Justin86
06-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Find the big radiator hose that is on the top. Follow that hose and it will lead to the thermostat. It is attached to the head behind the distrubitor. There is two bolts hold it on. One on the top easy to see and one underneath. They will be tough to get to. You should use a wrench but if you have 1/4in socket set it will be small enough to fit between certain gaps. If not you will have to take off the EGR pipe and the distrubitor to get a better angle on the bolts. The first thing you want to do is drain the radiator of all coolant. This way you can also put in new coolant in.

wthramann
06-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Please spray bolt lubricant on the bolts before trying to loosen. I snapped one of mine and it was expensive ($160) to fix. You can change the thermostat without losing too much coolant if you do not need to change it yet. Make sure you put the new thermostat in the same direction as the old one.

bctempest
06-30-2003, 11:50 PM
I wish i had this knowledge, both my bolts snapped, then i had to take off the distributor housing, and the thermo housing, have it machined, and re-threaded. Then one of my wires snapped, almost $200 when all said an done. But its fixed, also, i recommend u bleed your system. I've had major probs with air bubbles, its was blockin up on me. Causing my car to over heat. I had the block tested, and a pressure test, nothing. Ive replaced the rad cap, and everything seems to be good now..