PDA

View Full Version : Gauges not working

Justin86
06-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Since I winished my EFI swap I can not get my gauges to function properly. The speedo is working but my Tach, temp, and fuel gauge is not working. All of my other dash lights are working fine, with the exception of those three. I switched the wiring harness out of an automatic to make the EFI conversion into my car with a manual. I then tried and hooked up the automatic gauges and still nothing would work. I don'tknow if it is a bad ground or blown fuse or anything. :sadwave:

cruznz
07-01-2003, 12:57 AM
hmmm....you may need to recheck the wiring connections,.....
Steve might be able to supply a wiring diagram for you

1988starter
07-01-2003, 10:02 AM
I think auto and manual have a diff harness I know they have a different ecu.

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-01-2003, 10:40 AM
First thing to check is fuse#2 (10 amp) in the dash fuse box. It's funny that I do have a circuit schematic, which just happens to show all three, fuel, temp, and tach gauges, so fix one, fix them all, hopefully! ;) Here's the schematic link, sorry about the poor quality:
Coolant temp and Fuel Guages (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Coolant%20temp%20and%20Fuel%20Gaudes.jpg)
As far as the ground goes, you'll be checking under the left side of dash, the right side of steering column. Up above those connecters, look for the black wires above the connecters, should be bolted to metal up there.

Justin86
07-01-2003, 11:55 AM
The only difference is the gauge wire harness in the plugin for the shifter pistion indactor.
I will check for that fuse. It is funny cause I checked my manual and I couldn't find the fuse for the gauges. Yea I know where the ground is. There is one on the top of the steering column and the one you are talking about on the side of the column above the the wire plugins. I know I have them secure.

Justin86
07-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey I checked that fuse and it is fine. I need to lower my steering column toget a better view of the grounds.

cruznz
07-01-2003, 11:41 PM
do you have a multimeter?......if you got the dash out, remove the white 12 pin connector , and probe the yellow and black pins with ignition on,.....this will confirm power to dash

Justin86
07-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Ok I don't know how but I got it working. My temp is working but it sticks so I have to flick it to get it going and my fuel reads full but I know that I only have a 1/4 tank so I have a short some were with the fuel sensor.

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Did your tach start working too? Hope so! Then just finding the short to ground for the fuel gauge is better than everything being out. Hopefully the problem won't suddenly reappear!

Justin86
07-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Yea hope so too. I will go out and work on it as soon as it starts to ccol down outside.