PDA

View Full Version : my car is too hot inside!! NO A/C!!!

89accordboi
06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
its probably way to much to put in A/C, but how much would it be? or is there a way to get nice cold air without it? im always sweating when i drive its horrible, its too hot here in oregon right now for driving w/o A/C.

(i can just tell someone is gonna say roll down your window)

jlaccord89lxi
06-30-2003, 02:26 PM
how hot is it??? i think you should roll down your.....no, i won't say it :) . Its been hot where i live too, but my a/c makes me sick every time i use it so it stays off.

Silver86LX
06-30-2003, 04:15 PM
I've got A/C in my car but it doesn't work and it's a bitch.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Drink lots of water and have a cooler in the back seat :D I sometimes carry a cooler in the car for drinks and whatnot. I would expect to pay about $1000 for new ac.

POS carb
06-30-2003, 09:01 PM
nah man brining an A/C system back to likfe isn't too expensive if you do it yourself... all you need is to get a few things...
1. check out your system and replace any obviously broken parts (condensor with holes, fried clutch on compressor, kinked lines, etc)
2. get a NEW reciever/dryer and expansion valve.
3. buy a/c system flush and flush the hell out of the system.
4. buy an a/c seal kit and replace the seals (there aren't very many, it's easy)
5. Have a mechanic do a system vacuum pressure check and fill it up with R134 if it's good (no imitation shit, R134, nothing more nothing less, or R12 if you can get it) and the proper ammount of esther oil.

bobafett
06-30-2003, 10:03 PM
i feel ya man. my accord has no AC. lucky for me my car is INOP right now, so i am driving around my brothers 84 accord, which has ICE COLD AC.. i am spoiled now, so i am SCREWED once i get back into my car! :(

blazin3gen
06-30-2003, 10:06 PM
2gen powa huh bobafett i us to own a 4-door 2gen sold it, now we have a 2gen Hatch 5spd :D 2gens arent so bad eh bobafett

K DASH
06-30-2003, 10:13 PM
My A/C is broken as well and I live in Southern California, so its really hot. I just manually roll down my windows and blast the music and pretend I'm not hot.

MattsAccord
06-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Man that sucks, mine is so cold I have to turn it down sometimes. :D

njpeter
07-01-2003, 03:42 AM
I've hd that run my a/c and get sick deal too..gotta dump baking soda and water down the vent, then spray a can of lysol in there while it's running, then flush with more baking soda, and then to top it..a squirt of new car smell..there are commercial cleaners.

if you get mold growing in the evaporator box, you can die from being sick with upper repiratory infections...took me a while to figure that out..make sure the a/c is draining..there is a hose that exists under the floor ( near the dashboard) make sure water is coming out of that..a piece of wire can clear it up.

can't live without a/c..I have to drive on some truck routes to work..and when the traffic is stopped, the diesel fumes can make you reallllly sick.

I'm real good on accord a/c if you have specific issues..lots of my previous a/c avice on theboard. I've done a bunch of 134 conversions..it's not too expensive...relative to what you get.

bobafett
07-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by blazin3gen
2gen powa huh bobafett i us to own a 4-door 2gen sold it, now we have a 2gen Hatch 5spd :D 2gens arent so bad eh bobafett

yeah i swear his car is DELUXE compared to mine. 4 power window switches instead of 2, power antenna, working AC, buttons for everything, its crazzzy.. but man that thing is slow as shit. i cant wait to beat on my car this afternoon once i get the suspension back on. i will have to get off my ass and drive back home though... not fun... :(

jlaccord89lxi
07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by njpeter
I've hd that run my a/c and get sick deal too..gotta dump baking soda and water down the vent, then spray a can of lysol in there while it's running, then flush with more baking soda, and then to top it..a squirt of new car smell..there are commercial cleaners.

if you get mold growing in the evaporator box, you can die from being sick with upper repiratory infections...took me a while to figure that out..make sure the a/c is draining..there is a hose that exists under the floor ( near the dashboard) make sure water is coming out of that..a piece of wire can clear it up.

can't live without a/c..I have to drive on some truck routes to work..and when the traffic is stopped, the diesel fumes can make you reallllly sick.

I'm real good on accord a/c if you have specific issues..lots of my previous a/c avice on theboard. I've done a bunch of 134 conversions..it's not too expensive...relative to what you get.

that sound messy!!! where do you dump the baking soda? And where is the hose on the outside? is it on the passenger side because i think i know which hose yer talking about and i don't think anything ever comes out of it.

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2003, 12:33 PM
cost me $20 dollar's for mine's

TJ89Accord
07-01-2003, 12:57 PM
I just got my AC fixed today. :). Comes out at like 45 degrees (he stuck a thermometer in the vent). All he did was re-charge it, and he did it with the old stuff (R12 I think he said). He said that the old stuff is about 10 degrees colder than the new. I gave him 50 bucks, and left with nice cold AC :).

Tim

pearldrop
07-03-2003, 06:47 AM
They have kits that adapt the R12 to R134a and they really work. All you do is add little adapters to the fittings, put in some ester oil and then add R134a. It only costs about $35 and take ten minutes to do yourself. It took them years to decide that you really don't need to swap out all the parts, they will work together just fine.

I was in Oregon last weekend so I totally understand what you are going through. It was 97 degrees and muggy as hell when I was there.

Mattphi
07-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Yea my A.C. is workin badass still too

ALTERED4
07-03-2003, 02:12 PM
dont pay 1000 dollars to have your ac fixed... pos has the right idea, if your compressor is dead, you can do the work yourself and save hundreds... on top of that, there are plenty of guys here on the board that are quite knowledgeable when it comes to ac repair... a couple of months ago, my compressor took a dump... with the help of people here, i was able to do the work myself (except for the re-filling part)... i bought a new reciever and a rebuilt compressor for around 300 dollars...

like someone else said, my ac was blowing so cold, i had to slide the temp controll over to halfway, and its 115 degrees outside...

goldyaccord
07-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ALTERED4
dont pay 1000 dollars to have your ac fixed... pos has the right idea, if your compressor is dead, you can do the work yourself and save hundreds... on top of that, there are plenty of guys here on the board that are quite knowledgeable when it comes to ac repair... a couple of months ago, my compressor took a dump... with the help of people here, i was able to do the work myself (except for the re-filling part)... i bought a new reciever and a rebuilt compressor for around 300 dollars...

like someone else said, my ac was blowing so cold, i had to slide the temp controll over to halfway, and its 115 degrees outside...

does the engine temp stay down? :D

NXRacer
07-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
its probably way to much to put in A/C, but how much would it be? or is there a way to get nice cold air without it? im always sweating when i drive its horrible, its too hot here in oregon right now for driving w/o A/C.

(i can just tell someone is gonna say roll down your window)

awww quit your bitchin. :lol Dual-60 A/C never failed me!!

I gotta admit though, having AC is a nice luxury. I never fixed mine cause its not usually hot for very long here in Oregon, so i couldnt justify an AC system sucking power fromwhat little i have in the first place.

88accordlxcarb
07-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah, seriously it does not cost much. The biggest item is just the compressor. If there is nothing wrong with the orignal one you could get by pretty darn cheap.

There is no excuse if you are suffering not to at least read up about fixing your AC. Its not that hard to do it yourself, just takes some time.

With R12 and your orignal compressor 40-50 degree air is normal(COOOOOLLLLLD). With other products like es12a and a new compressor, 45-55(moving) and 60(idling) is normal. Very cold compared to 90+ outside.

Check it out:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19188

njpeter
07-04-2003, 04:44 AM
without changing the receiver/dryer/accumulator. Inside that big fat aluminium can by the power steering pump is a bag of dissectant...that bag only works with r-12..if you put 134 in there...the bag breaks down ( it's synthetic nylo-whatever) and the little pellets mix up with the refrigerant and will totally screw your a/c beyound repair.

It's a EPA violation to just vent the refrigerant ( even 134) so you only get one legit shot to fix the system without having to visit the a/c shop.

If the shop is good..they will test the system for mixed refirgerant..and if they find it..you'll be paying some really big bucks for new filters for thier equipment. Outside of leaks and runing the compressor dry, accumulator failre is the #1 killer on conversions.

134 isn't quite as cold as 12 is...but better then windows down. For 134 you can wire your radiator fans to go on with a switch..and that keeps the performace accepable in relaly hot weather/slow traffic.

one last tip ( see all my previous a/c posts for lots more)..134 expands more then 12 does when it heats up..only charge the system to 75/80% of listed capacity..DO NOT depend on the sight glass ( 134 accumlators (most of em) don't have the little wiondow glass anymore)

fill it to the listed 12 capacity..and you'll blow the compressor for sure.

stay cool my peeps....

word of the week:

Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late

buy a really fat dictionary..learn 5 new words a week

charlesb2003
07-18-2003, 05:43 PM
i just charged my mom's with one of those r-134a conversion kits from autozone... her car was without a/c for over a year and we took it to a shop today and they said it was fine, it just needed a charge, but they wanted $150 to charge it with r-12....

so her accumulator's gonna screw up??? that sux!! i might hurry up and switch to es-12a... that's supposed to be compatible with all systems...

or would that be a bad idea? going from nothing, to r-134a, to es-12a in a really short time...

help! i don't wanna screw her air up... she's so happy right now...

accordlxi2.0
07-23-2003, 03:41 PM
yea right i had a '90 cougar with r12 and charged with r134 and it ranned fine.

njpeter
07-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I was in the same position, I actually paid a jiffy lube $150 to "charge my system"...yeah..lasted a whole &*^&*^^* day and they didn't wannt do anything for me..my luck..I got pissed enough to learn eeything I could about 12/134/ac..as my only previous a/c work was thowing a can of r-12 in leaky systems until the sight glass was running clear..I had a sunoco satation by the beach for a few years and it was a common in and out $25 job ( it was 1979 after all).

a/c systems vary in desin, and the ability to take a 134 conversion..some cars need replacement bits, others simply cannot be done ( take a keihn equipped dx for example..those compressors don;t last long if you run them at 110% normal pressures now and then..it's that 134 expansion rate that does em in). Other cars have issue as the compressor is high on the engine and doesn't hold oil well...there is a factor of oil being carried by the refrigerant in vaporized form that comes into play here, 134 doesn't carry as well. Accords, with t he low mounted ND compressor does well in my experience..andyhow..won't tell all in any one post...read em all...

so for the insta-conversion..my prediction...the drier may present a problem..it may not but the compressor main seal is going to fail...I did the same conversion after my jiffy lube rip-off..it was close to 100 outside after all, and I was feeling really slick ...for a few months anyway..then the comoressor developed a seal leak..lots of sanke oil later, I had to replace the compressor..hey it was an original anyway, no love lost. Got one on ebay cheap ( winter shows prices about 25% of summer..I have a spare compressor in my inventory I bought for $25 this winter..it was a neraly new original equipment out of a 87,000 mile wreck..it's bee-u-te-ful By the time I repalced the compressor, all the 134 had leaked out, so I wasn't explicity violating the epa regulations on venting. I got a new drier and replaced it when I tore the system down to change the compressor, as you can imagine..a VERY messy job. I gotta get a pressure cleaner one of these days.

Run the system till it leaks..then fix it nice for a few years...for me..I cannot drive to work without running a/c..it's 50 miles thru a truck route
so....
Filled it with 134 oil from http://www.acsource.com/ ( they call it polymax now)..read about it on that site, which by the way has really solid information, they did run a forum at one time..and that's where I met folks who were in the biz, and were loose with the good advice, which I'm happy to pass along in the hot weather..it's one of the few ways I can give some payback to the group. All of my accords are ice cold no trouble conversions.

I'm not associated with a/c source in any way ( ok I'm a customer ) but I strongly suggest those with a/c issues check that site for some good scoop.

Your mom's lucky to have you..tell her I said so..oh yeah..don't forget to tell her I'm 45.

bigdogg213
07-24-2003, 01:03 PM
best a\c to have is the windows down music up and about 70 mph on the highway you'll cool down

bigdogg213
07-24-2003, 01:04 PM
best a\c is windows down music up and 70 mph on the highway

charlesb2003
07-27-2003, 05:27 PM
thanks for the info njpeter. it's still working good as of today, but now i know what i have to do if it ever stops. ohh.. and my mom says thanks too ;)

i bookmarked acsource.com, looks like they carry just about everything needed to do a/c work... i noticed they sell nippondenso compressor shaft seals. mine has a leak in the front seal, how hard would that be to change? i still have r12 in mine and i don't wanna lose it cuz it cools GOOD...