PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix my head liner

Honda_pride
06-30-2003, 04:47 PM
A couple of weeks ago my dog ripped my head liner out. Just a small peice above the drivers side. I need to know how to fix it. Should I just rip the fabric down and paint it, Or what. Also does anyone know where I can get carpet molds for a 87 honda accor lx.

Thanx please get back to me. James

Maydnaella
06-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Dunno about the liner... interested in finding out about that myself. But these are some of the carpet sites I've looked at.

http://www.auto-extra.com/carpet_honda.htm

http://www.autostyles.com/hondcarp.htm

http://www.1aauto.com/carpet/honda.htm

Coitis1
06-30-2003, 08:00 PM
what kind of headliners do u guys have? It sounds like you have cloth from the way u said ur dog ripped it out. Just curious, b/c mine like a formed plastic. I don't know how to describe it. Sorry, its hard for me to visualize what u mean by ur dog ripping out a small piece, so i can't help.

Maydnaella
06-30-2003, 08:17 PM
mine is plastic too. mine is not ripped but i want to know if i can replace it.

blazin3gen
06-30-2003, 08:22 PM
hey i need to replace mine too its not cloth its like a vinal plastic-y material thing

cdscowboy
06-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Mine has some cloth covering on it. I never even knew that it wasn't stock till I was seeing how hard it would be to put in a power moonroof (very hard, by the way). It's like it's just glued to the vinyl stuff...

iloveJDMblackrims69
07-01-2003, 07:48 AM
check the good ole junkyard too!

ICEMAN707
07-01-2003, 08:18 AM
if you want to take your headliner off, take off all your plastic trim pieces on the A window pillars and C window pillars. those plastic trims on your window pillars are all that's holding your headliner up and a little plastic screw in the rear middle of the headliner. also, take off your sunvisors. that's what's holding up the front part of the headliner too. i hope that helps. i took mine off before and covered it in vinyl. looks awesome.

hondaaccord_86
07-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Does anyone have pictures of their headliner re-done?

Bloodlust
07-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Mine is a very thin cloth also. It is almost like there is no support above it. I think the ones with the plastic are ones without sunroofs, because I have a sunroof and I have the thin cloth. Am I correct with this assumption?

Dibbs
07-07-2003, 11:47 AM
I do headliners and car interiors in my "spare" time. I've done my headliner and my insert was a layered and pressed paper. This made it quite easy to remove the pre-existing material b/c i just pulled the thin layer of paper under the fabric off and I was left w/ a fresh clean surface for the new material.

I suggest anyone doing a headliner on their own to be very careful. If you break that insert while trying to remove it, you will find yourself at a junkyard trying to find a new one. If you do not have the pressed paper insert you will have to remove the material with a wire brush (brass preferably). If you have a vinyl headliner, the vinyl will need to be peeled off first before cleaning the insert.

Try to find an upholstery supplier. Most of them carry headliner material. 1-1/2 to 2 yards should do. Just pick the color you want. Another must is buying the correct adhesive. Since this is a one time shot for most of you I suggest using 3M Foam Fast 74 spray adhesive (24 oz) and I mean accept no substitute! There's nothing worse than spending a whole day redoing your headliner than to have it drop on a hot summer day and having to start over again. Don't try to get off cheap by going to Wal-Mart and getting the 3M Super 77. There's even a note on the can that states it is NOT reccomended for headliners. There's a good chance the upholstery supplier carries the Foam Fast 74.

Take your material and lay it out over your clean insert. Make sure you have plenty of room for overlap. Take one end ov the material and fold it backto the midpoint of the insert. Spray a 8-10 inch wide section all the way across the headliner. Fold the fabric back and GENTLY rub your hands across the sprayed area to bond the material to the intert. Rub from the center towards the edge so as not to wrinkle the fabric (one wrinkle and you'll have to start over again). Repeat the process until you have reached the edge of both ends. Be especially carefull around the indentions for the sunvisors. There are many curves and shapes in that area. Once finished trim the edges and leave 1 to 1-1/2 inches overlap all the way around. Spary the edge of the underside of the insert and wrap the overlapping material around the edge. When cutting out the holes for the visors, interior light etc., make sure to leave about 1/2 inch overlap just in case the insert doesn't fit back exactly the way it did the first time.

Replace the headliner along with the trim and use a tucking tool ot flat tip screwdriver to tuck back any material trying to overhang on the trim.

Hope some of that helps....
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Dibbs
07-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda_Pride:

If you can get me a pic of the damage I will have abetter idea as to what needs to be done.

offthahook
07-07-2003, 06:48 PM
The way I undersand it is thst STOCK headliners are vinyl. It is done at the factory (duh) with a heat type thing to make it stretch really tight. BUT if you get a moonroof or need a new headliner, then cloth will be used because vinyl is too hard to use without the heat and stuff.

Dibbs
07-08-2003, 05:29 AM
The stock headliner in my 86 hatchback was cloth with a foam backing. I do belive you're right in the way that the factory lays the vinyl on the headliner. The only problem is that we don't have the tools they do to get the job done. You could use a heat gun if you wanted to use vinyl but I would suggest being VERY careful. Using a heat gun loosens any ripples (not wrinkles) in the headliner and when it cools it tightens up really well. For the average joe, I would suggest using the cloth. It's just a lot easier and the color selection is much greater with cloth headliner material than the vinyl headliner material.

sxy86accord1
07-11-2003, 10:32 AM
I had my headliner done in red vinyl with the visors done in black for like $75 or so..it isnt that expensive and looks fucking awsome. I took mine to a professional though. They took my whole healiner out and put the vinyl on then put my headliner back on.

Dibbs
07-11-2003, 11:44 AM
That's the way it should be done. $75 is a great price, especially for vinyl. $75 is what I charge for our cars w/ fabric and no visors. I don't like doing visors b/c it's hard to make them look right. But on the 3rd gens, I get soft and I'll do them b/c I can make them look better than stock. I hate the way they just heat pressed the backside of the fabric visors in my '86 without finishing it or anything. Good deal man, real good deal.

sxy86accord1
07-16-2003, 11:51 AM
for those of you that wanna know....I got my headliner done at a place called: AUTO UPHOLSTERY, it is located at 1050 hwy 49 ~Perkinston, MS 1(601)528-9539

Dibbie: Whats is something good I could put on it to spiff it up a bit? Like a sticker or something like that?

HondaBoy
07-16-2003, 11:49 PM
suz for u. i dont know wut kinda material my soft type headliner is made of. i would say some kinda foam like fabric? anyway, i see them at the junk yard all the time, just need a good cleaning. anyway, mine is off white. i want to either get it whiter, or dye it black or red to match my interior.

DBMaster
07-17-2003, 06:26 AM
There are lots of upholstery shops around with experience on headliners. Almost every piece of crap GM car over six years old has dropped its headliner so they get lots of practice! :)