PDA

View Full Version : Spring Tech Coilover spring rates

89AccordLvr
06-30-2003, 07:24 PM
I email the people and they gave me the following spring rates:

450 on the front
350 on the back

I want to know when i get bilstein's what specs should i revalve them to so it can make my ride as best as possibly can?

those of you who dont know the coilovers I am talking about here is the link of one of their auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2420521888

goldyaccord
06-30-2003, 08:52 PM
I think I'd try them...

hmm... not a bad Idea!

Jims 86LXI HB
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
I email the people and they gave me the following spring rates:

450 on the front
350 on the back

I want to know when i get bilstein's what specs should i revalve them to so it can make my ride as best as possibly can?

those of you who dont know the coilovers I am talking about here is the link of one of their auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2420521888

Thats interesting, the same exact spring rates as the dropzone coilovers. Are you really really sure you'd want spring rates THAT stiff? Those rates are 213% stiffer than stock in the front and 300% stiffer in the rear. I wanted rates close to that, but I'm the type of person that thinks nothing of taking lots of corners daily at 100% of the cars ability. I only wanted springs that stiff cause I could actually feel the springs moving to much to offten. You really should make sure you have reason to go that stiff.

I'd hate if I did bring the above up and you installed them and went, "oh jezz, this is just to stiff". And are you sure you need the ability to raise and lower the car via coilovers?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Sorta off topic, but before someone brings it up. Spring tech has offered these coilovers with their own struts before. Their advertising was way to good to be true, making promise's that just don't add up. Now knowing just how stiff those coilovers really are, it really doesn't add up. Even with Koni exiting the market for our cars soon, I wouldn't risk a dime on the spring tech struts.

markmdz89hatch
07-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Jim, you're 110% correct on that one. They are WAY to good to be true (they're advertising that is). If you e-mail the company, all they'll do is give you the run-around when it comes to the specs on the struts. I asked them the specs and they did not respond until about the 4th e-mail to them. They're response was pathetic to say the least. At most, all they've done is take something like a Monroe Sensatrac strut and splat they're sticker on it and sell it as a set.

What the consumer does not know is that the struts are WAY WAY WAY to weak to handle the spring rates of those coilovers. What's that mean? Poor dampening = shitty ride quality. aka. BOUNCE. As Jim mentioned, anytime you have bounce, the reason for it can be explained one of two ways: 1. The springs are too stiff for the dampeners (struts or shocks), or 2. The struts are too weak for the springs. Essentially you're saying the same with either comment.

A major misconception is "well, hey, they're bran-new struts, so they should work great!" Well, that's right... ...sort of. If the strut is only valved to be an OEM replacement, then the springs should be just that as well. Stiffer spring rates with ALWAYS make a car "bounce" on stock struts.

If you have bounce in your ride, but you do like the rigidity of it (the ride is not too harsh) (aka. that school-bus feeling), then get better struts to eliminate bounce. If you bounce, and the car feels to much like a school-bus, then make sure you don't have blown struts, and get a softer spring.