PDA

View Full Version : muffler performance?

89AccordLvr
06-30-2003, 07:33 PM
hey i just wanted to know if anyone heard of good of this muffler and how much could these go for.

Click here to see the muffler - Part number 14857 is the one I am talking about (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseriespg5.htm)

shepherd79
07-01-2003, 03:35 AM
so you want to sound like a ricer.
IMO, dynomax super turbo is very nice choice.

89AccordLvr
07-01-2003, 06:44 AM
I dont want to sound ricer, i want deep loud tones, here's a link for 3 import cars that have magnaflows on there:

CLICK HERE FOR SOUND EXAMPLE of MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS (http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/import.htm)

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Aw yes but I highly doubt those sound clip examples are from the round canister type mufflers. We have several members that have the regular type magnaflow mufflers. And those guys report they have the nice low sounds you want. When someone want's a nice deep sounding muffler system, these make come to mind and in this order. Flowmaster 50 series (the best sounding, period, IMO for those wanting the deep sound), Magnaflow, and Dynomax Super turbo*.

*I just want to add a bit from my experience with the Dynomax I ran. I reused the stock resonator. But I should have installed a 18" glasspack. I had a loud booming resonance from 1800rpm's to like 2800rpm's. A straight threw glasspack, like the one Magnaflow unit I'm running on my new car should have eliminated that resonance. I think adding a glasspack would be the way to go on any of the muffler brands I mentioned. You can use your own judgement, but the resonating was annoying to me.

pip
07-01-2003, 07:38 AM
i got a magnaflow muffler its F$%@#N awesome
such a sweet low rumble u don't sound ricer either!

pip
07-01-2003, 07:40 AM
oh yeah and i got 2.25" piping to my cat so its my little custom cat-back it sounds even better!!

NXRacer
07-01-2003, 07:56 AM
I've got a twist for ya'll. Here's MY setup and suprisingly, it DOESNT sound ricey.

2.25" catback straight pipe with a monza dual resonator tip on the end. THATS ALL. I always get compliments on how good it sounds. Its not too loud and has a nice deep sound. Strange but true. I know what rice is and this is NOT rice.

I must agree though that most of those canisters sound pretty bad. It really depends on what brand it is and how it is installed. Some guy had one on a 90-93 teg and he almost blew my windows out it was so bad. But then again, i saw a civic a while ago that had *dual* canisters (can you say FnF?) on his car and it sounded BAD ASS. Not ricey at all. A lot depends on the quality of the muffler and installation and whether you have headers or not.

My next exhaust system i'm going to have when i get my new motor will be headers, 2.25-2.5" pipes with resonator and a good dual-tip DTM style muffler.

pimp86LX
07-01-2003, 08:59 AM
wow this has nothing to do with performance.

krott5333
07-01-2003, 10:44 AM
umm... I'm a ricer.. ricey = good.. mwahahhaahahahhahah

Yeah, mufflers dont add performance, assuming your muffler doesnt have a dead skunk in it and everything.

NXRacer
07-01-2003, 10:51 AM
hah hah, but a good exhaust system will help in performance. Punch out your cat and tell me you didnt see an increase in performance!! :D

pip
07-01-2003, 12:42 PM
i'm taking my cat out as soon as i get my header and it shouldn't be to suspicious with the magnaflow muffler
damn cops...

Justin86
07-01-2003, 01:00 PM
A have headers, no cat, and no muffler with stock piping and it kicks ass. A loud deep tone. I hope it isn't too loud. (95 db legal limit)

pip
07-01-2003, 01:02 PM
thats sweet, nice power out of that?

NeubJ
07-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Those clips sound pretty nice-(especially the VR4)
Those canister type mufflers sound best on turbo cars-IMO
Most every civic,integra,accord-etc non turbo cars --I have heard sound terrible and way too loud-

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
wow this has nothing to do with performance.

Ok, what do you mean? I'll take it your pro canister, correct?

pimp86LX
07-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Ok, what do you mean? I'll take it your pro canister, correct?

I just meant that this thread didn't talk about power gains, or exauhst velocity or anything. Getting a muffler purely for sound is a pet peve of mine :flip:

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
I just meant that this thread didn't talk about power gains, or exauhst velocity or anything. Getting a muffler purely for sound is a pet peve of mine :flip:

Yeah but compaired to some other posts, he doesn't give reason to think he's going to take himself down the road of no power or poor exhaust gas volocity. No red flags. Yes we could have given him the complete exhaust system do's and don'ts, but I don't think he question warrent's taking him down that road,....yet.