PDA

View Full Version : My latest creation...

87DXHatch
07-01-2003, 12:02 AM
I finished the box I've been building for the past week today... thought I'd share some pics for you fine folks...

It's around 2.7 cubic feet net, tuned to around 27 hz with 38.5 sq. inches of port area. The gross cubic feet of it is around 4.2, so yes, it is a massive box. Exterior dimensions are 16" x 17" x 34"...

POS carb asked a while back if anyone was crazy enough to drop a 15 in an accord... :wave: Hi

Here's the sub that's going in the box (hasn't come yet due to order miscommunication):
http://www.edesignaudio.com/im/products/15a5.jpg

Now for the box pics:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_74_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_75_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_76_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_77_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_78_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_79_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_80_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/277000-277999/277765_81_full.jpg

Enjoy! Questions or comments always appreciated... I'll probably post more pics when I carpet/finish it and when I get it installed in the car.

pimp86LX
07-01-2003, 12:30 AM
man, that is one sweet box. I know the name of that style but its just on the tip of my tounge. anyway NICE WORK

88 Accord DX
07-01-2003, 12:33 AM
could it be bandpass???

AND YOUR GETTING AN ED!?!?! man you kick ass.... im getting 2 EDK 12's

[Edit] the box looks kick ass but why in the hell did you use plywood???

pimp86LX
07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Im pretty sure its not bandpass. Itsn't a bandpass essentially a combo of sealed/ported? I think its a type of ported. but dammit my memory stinks.

nice work on the bracing too!

88 Accord DX
07-01-2003, 12:40 AM
yeah your right bandpass is sealed on one side ported on the other. its just ported.

Vanilla Sky
07-01-2003, 04:50 AM
damn that thing looks good...

that's birch plywood... that is much stronger than MDF, and i've been told that it resonates less than almost any other material

you took a long time workin on that folded port, man... not wonder it took forever to build...

when you get that sub in, crank that thing up, man

87DXHatch
07-01-2003, 05:55 AM
that's birch plywood

Derick's got the ticket ;) Baltic Birch plywood is wayyyy lighter than MDF, while supposedly more rigid. The box is near 65 lbs as it is, and if I had used MDF, it'd be closer to 90.

It's a ported box, hence my use of the words "tune" and "port area." :p You may think it's something "special" but it's just a slot port, which means the side wall of the box becomes part of the port... nothing THAT special.

I hope to break things in my car when I pop this sucka in.

NXRacer
07-01-2003, 08:02 AM
DUUDE. Can you make me one of those for 2 12's??? lol j/k

Thats some hella good work! VERY clean. Props to you for an excellent job!

cdscowboy
07-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Can you say "beastly sub box"??? That thing's badass man. Sorry if I haven't been following the story, but what you gonna have powering the 15?? I hear Jensen has big amps ;):lolj/k;)

86accordhatchback
07-01-2003, 10:47 AM
yea, that box is sick. good job. i can't wait to see what it looks like when it's carpeted and w/ the sub in it

87DXHatch
07-01-2003, 12:03 PM
It's going to be getting 1100 watts from a Tsunami DB 1100D... a little bit better than Jensen ;) :tongue:

And I could make you a box for 2 12's, but shipping would murder you, so I'd suggest against it.

The sub is an Elemental Designs E15A (http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/overview/15Aoverview.htm)... I would have received it last week, but my order got missplaced and they were all out of them when they found it. I got to talk to the president of the company, though, and he is a badass... they have stellar customer service.

I've been waiting for this sub since the middle of April when I ordered it on Pre-order...

Justin86
07-01-2003, 12:41 PM
That will be sweet once you get that all hooked up. :)

gman
07-01-2003, 07:34 PM
why do you have two of them cable boxes

catalin
07-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
It's a ported box, hence my use of the words "tune" and "port area." :p You may think it's something "special" but it's just a slot port, which means the side wall of the box becomes part of the port... nothing THAT special.

I hope to break things in my car when I pop this sucka in.

Proper term is 'transmission line'... thought I'd throw that in there.

Great job on it, should work REALLY!!! well.. :)

pimp86LX
07-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by gman
why do you have two of them cable boxes

the terminal posts? dual voice coil man.

87DXHatch
07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Catalin, it is not a transmission line box... thought I'd throw that one in ;), transmission line enclosures have different sizes along the length of the port... mine is constant, it's just a folded port design.

There aren't really any "rules" behind transmission line enclosures (except that they should be as long as 1/4 the FS, I think), because they're so complicated, and mine was pretty calculated.

87DXHatch
07-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
the terminal posts? dual voice coil man.

Word. That let's me have the maxiumum wiring options without having to bust the sub out and rewire it in the box.

catalin
07-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Catalin, it is not a transmission line box... thought I'd throw that one in ;), transmission line enclosures have different sizes along the length of the port... mine is constant, it's just a folded port design.

There aren't really any "rules" behind transmission line enclosures (except that they should be as long as 1/4 the FS, I think), because they're so complicated, and mine was pretty calculated.

Check the enclosure types link. (http://www.caraudioresources.net/technical.html)

It's the way I was taught 10 years ago.. but you could really call it whatever you want, it should kick anyways. :)

87DXHatch
07-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Check out how the entire enclosure is a port in the transmission line... check it out here: www.diysubwoofers.org that explains it much better than those illustrations do.

Believe me, there is a big difference between a transmission line and ported box, mine is simply a ported box that utilizes a folded port design. I won't tackle trying to make a transmission line for quite a while, they are a lot harder to make.

pimp86LX
07-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Check out how the entire enclosure is a port in the transmission line... check it out here: www.diysubwoofers.org that explains it much better than those illustrations do.

Believe me, there is a big difference between a transmission line and ported box, mine is simply a ported box that utilizes a folded port design. I won't tackle trying to make a transmission line for quite a while, they are a lot harder to make.

hey, were did you get birch plywood from? can i get it at any lumber yard/home depot? Im building a simple sealed enclosure for my 350watt rms 12" and I want some better material than MDF.

also. you seem to know your stuff is there a significant difference in having an angled baffle?

-Thx

catalin
07-02-2003, 08:01 PM

It all abviously comes down to mathematics when designing enclosures and yes a transmission line is alot more complex than a ported.
Just by looking at your pictures, without doing the math, it looks to me like you built a transmission line.

87DXHatch
07-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
hey, were did you get birch plywood from? can i get it at any lumber yard/home depot? Im building a simple sealed enclosure for my 350watt rms 12" and I want some better material than MDF.

also. you seem to know your stuff is there a significant difference in having an angled baffle?

-Thx

I got the Birch from Menards. You'll probably find it listed as Baltic Birch Veneer Plywood. It's around $40 for a 4' X 8' sheet... I almost used the entire thing.

If you're just building a simple sealed enclosure for a 350 watt sub, then I'd suggest you use MDF. It's only $20 for a 4' X 8' sheet and it's strong and easy to work with. Essentially the only reason you'd want to go with Baltic Birch is if you wanted an enclosure that weighed less, or if you wanted pretty wood :D

As for the angled baffle, it probably won't make a noticable difference. It all depends on how you have the sub facing, where in the trunk, what objects are around, etc... those things make a much bigger difference as to how it sounds than an angled baffle. But it could make a small difference... will you notice it? Hard to say, it's times like that that psycho-acoustics start coming into play ;)

Any other questions?

pimp86LX
07-03-2003, 04:07 PM
I got the Birch from Menards. You'll probably find it listed as Baltic Birch Veneer Plywood. It's around $40 for a 4' X 8' sheet... I almost used the entire thing.

If you're just building a simple sealed enclosure for a 350 watt sub, then I'd suggest you use MDF. It's only $20 for a 4' X 8' sheet and it's strong and easy to work with. Essentially the only reason you'd want to go with Baltic Birch is if you wanted an enclosure that weighed less, or if you wanted pretty wood :D

As for the angled baffle, it probably won't make a noticable difference. It all depends on how you have the sub facing, where in the trunk, what objects are around, etc... those things make a much bigger difference as to how it sounds than an angled baffle. But it could make a small difference... will you notice it? Hard to say, it's times like that that psycho-acoustics start coming into play ;)

Any other questions?

heh heh yeah i decided not to angle the baffle. My worry was about standing waves, but in order for them to form they must travel at least half the wavelength. Thats what i read anyway, and thats longer than the entire trunk itself! i think 20Hz is like 56ft wave;) no worries :D

87DXHatch
07-03-2003, 04:13 PM
yeah, standing waves are not a big deal for 95% of subwoofer car audio stuff, just because the the enclosures are so small... now once you get up to 14+ cubic foot enclosures, then you need to start getting worried...

Swan
08-31-2003, 10:15 PM
man, I don't care what you call it, but DAMN! I thought I was gonna have something special having a sub in the floor, and having the port come up into the armrest in the back seat....speaking of ports... I thought the purpose of them was to cause air flow.... but it seems like what you have would disrupt it too much, and cancel it out.... uhh... but then again, what do I know? I always thought it was recommended to have either a straight port(s), or at least have the corners curved...anyone mind fillin' me in on this?

accordlx
09-01-2003, 02:56 AM
Straight ports are not necessary because of the characteristics of low frequency sounds. Higher freqencies above 3K Hz are much more directional. If you look at the design of some Bose home audio speakers such as their Acoustimass subs, they use a quasi transmission line design without smoothing of the folded port.

87DXHatch
09-01-2003, 07:41 AM
I got the sub, dropped it in the box, and it is insane. I'm going to do a thread one of these days of all my equipment and how it all sounds... one of these days :D Most likely when I'm bored sometime.

A Dawg Jr
09-01-2003, 11:04 AM
you should get it tested or whatever to see the spl and stuff... I don't understand it but it would be cool to see

Stanger
09-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Sweet man!!!!!

I used to have 2 JL W6-V2's 10"s in my ride. I love good bass!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man.

Oh yeah, in that pic.....................your shirt says MUSTANG ;)

87DXHatch
09-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that's my school's mascot... the Mora Mustangs... it's a blue mustang horse on my shirt.

goldyaccord
09-02-2003, 10:47 PM
You just got me sold on buying a 1100 T from ED's :D

Crazy prices!!!!!!