PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Front Koni Struts

HostileJava
07-01-2003, 06:23 PM
I just recieved my front struts in the mail today. I'll be painting them blue and putting them on thursday hopefully.

http://www.hostilejava.com/Personal/aboutpersonal/Album/Car/strutspring.jpg

guaynabo89
07-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Who did you get them from and how much?

HostileJava
07-02-2003, 05:59 AM
The fronts came from Tirerack.com and I think it was 225 or 230 with shipping. The rears I've had for about a week and a half and those came from shox.com for 213 I think.

stizle
07-02-2003, 06:11 AM
lucky bastard

guaynabo89
07-02-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by HostileJava
The fronts came from Tirerack.com and I think it was 225 or 230 with shipping. The rears I've had for about a week and a half and those came from shox.com for 213 I think.

Were they on backorder or did you call up and they had them in stock?

HostileJava
07-02-2003, 07:19 AM
I had called them the week before and they told me they weren't getting any in till mid to late July. The day that Jim confirmed they were being discontinued I called and ordered them and they told me they had one pair left on the shelf and they would be going out the next day.

carotman
07-02-2003, 03:47 PM
koni struts discontinued for our cars????? NO THAT CAN'T BE

HostileJava
07-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Yup, check it out.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19977

carotman
07-02-2003, 05:11 PM
well I ordered mine... I was on vacation... damn I hope I can still get them.... if not.... GET YOUR FORKS AND TORCHES!

LoKo498
07-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Hey "HostileJava", you got Konis in the front & Tokiko in the rear?

HostileJava
07-03-2003, 03:25 AM
Nope, Koni all around. I'm painting them all blue thats why the rears look different. As of now all 4 struts are blue and will be going on the car today.

Immeraufdemhund
07-03-2003, 10:44 AM
why dont the backs have a place for your springs? My tokico's have a place for the springs.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Immeraufdemhund
why dont the backs have a place for your springs? My tokico's have a place for the springs.

Cause it's a seperate part. Also has 2 places to set the height of that spring seat as well, on the rear's that is.

HostileJava
07-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Really? I didn't know that. I just ordered them because you said they were the best ones to use. I know nothing about my suspsension. BTW it's at the shop now. Should be done by 5. Yippee.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Really? I didn't know that. I just ordered them because you said they were the best ones to use. I know nothing about my suspsension. BTW it's at the shop now. Should be done by 5. Yippee.

Based on past member experence installing Koni's at shops. Call them right now and grill them that they in fact do know how to adjust the Koni struts. And make sure they adjust them to 1 1/2 turns off of full soft, which is another way of saying you want them almost maxed out for rebound control.

HostileJava
07-03-2003, 12:03 PM
It's a speed shop so I assumed they know how to install them, plus I gave them the instructions. I called anyway to tell them that and found out they were about to call me to tell me the upper control arm broke and that I would have to wait till monday for a replacement. The rears are in though and the fronts will have to wait I guess. Can I drive it around like that?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
No you can't drive it like that. I'd be stunned if the shop would release the car to you. They'd be liable if anything happened over the weekend.

HostileJava
07-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Actually I got it wrong it's not broken, but it's about to(from what I understand) and it's the lower front right control arm. They gave it back to me for the weekend. I'll post a pic of it. Looks really wierd with the front so high and the back low.

HostileJava
07-04-2003, 09:47 AM
http://www.hostilejava.com/Personal/aboutpersonal/Album/Car/lowerdrear.jpg

CARBurn
07-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Actually I got it wrong it's not broken, but it's about to(from what I understand) and it's the lower front right control arm. They gave it back to me for the weekend. I'll post a pic of it. Looks really wierd with the front so high and the back low.

How did the managed to break the lower front control arm, do you think they meant the bushings?

I hope they read those instructions right using an allen wrench to adjust the rebound like Jim said. The only thing lacking in Konis is the instructions are not so clear, but definitely worth the investment in suspension.

HostileJava
07-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Maybe, I'll ask when I bring it back. I'm really note sure. As stated earlier I know nothing about suspensions.

NeubJ
07-06-2003, 10:27 AM
It's a speed shop so I assumed they know how to install them, plus I gave them the instructions.

I assumed the same thing when I had a shop install my springs and konis in the back-I asked them and they said they have plenty of experience installing coilovers and springs. (they were working on coilovers for a RSX before they got to mine)
And what do you know?
They didnt install the rubber spacer for the back springs. And one of the front struts tab wasnt fitted in the slot on the damper fork.(I took it back the next day)

Plus I showed them how the konis can be adjusted and gave them the instructions-They said they adjusted them but I am wondering if they did or not. (if they messed up on simple things like that)

NeubJ
07-06-2003, 10:31 AM
I had called them the week before and they told me they weren't getting any in till mid to late July. The day that Jim confirmed they were being discontinued I called and ordered them and they told me they had one pair left on the shelf and they would be going out the next day.

Lucky -Lucky
and Sad (because now we really dont have much choice for struts -but we sure have plenty of springs to choose from):mad:

buish
07-06-2003, 01:06 PM
what springs are you running on your setup?

HostileJava
07-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Suspension Techniques
2" in the front and 1.9" in the back.