PDA

View Full Version : insurance called to give me the bad news today...

ALTERED4
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
as a result of the accident i was involved in last week, my insurance has decided the total the car...

10 years and 150k miles sure add up to a lot of memories :(...

i was quite heartbroken, but everyone is right, i must move on... that is why i decided not to buy the car back... the damage is quite extensive in the rear, but it is fixable...

ive decided that the best thing to do at this point is to buy a new(er) sedan... ive got three kids, and i need something reliable i can rack the miles on... so, im going to have to decide b/t a '02 and up altima, '02 and up camry, and a 6th gen accord (i cant stand the looks of the 7th gen sedan)...

because of priorities, i never had the chance to postwhore on this board, even though i have been a member for quite a while... i would like to thank all you guys who've helped me in the past, i will try and visit every once in a while and help out as much as i can... its quite amazing how much you can learn about a 3g after turning your own wrenches for 10 years...

88 Accord DX
07-02-2003, 03:59 PM
sorry to hear that man but why dont you just use your Jetta. its a sedan right???

Jims 86LXI HB
07-02-2003, 09:58 PM
When my insurance company totalled my 3g last year a funny thing happened. I actually made more money on the payoff for keeping it. I don't understand it, but before I asked to keep the car they were going to give me like $1800, after I decided to keep it my check ended up being $2000.

Elijah
07-02-2003, 10:18 PM
6th gen those are some nice sedans.I like the 7th coupe and 6th sedan.

ALTERED4
07-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by 88 Accord DX
sorry to hear that man but why dont you just use your Jetta. its a sedan right???

the jetta is the wife's daily driver... actually, i hate that thing with a passion... the prelude is completely gutted, no ac, no ps, a solid hub racing clutch, and 800 lb springs all around... not a good daily driver, especially when its 120 degrees outside... ive been getting around in my 240, but the car is quite small, it makes a good weekend/backup car...

i found a 2002 accord lx with a 5spd... 16500 miles for 13,500 dollars... not bad, price is right, and i really need a daily driver... i think im going to go for it...

the local nissan dealership has some "hail damage" altimas left... they had a couple new '03 models going for as low as 14500... unfortunately, they look like golf balls...

88 Accord DX
07-02-2003, 11:07 PM
i understand now.

i have a good solution for you. i guess ill sacrifice myself for your benefit and ill offer to trade cars with you. ill trade my Accord for your 240 and we will call it even. it needs the a/c refilled but other than that its solid.

doug
07-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
I don't understand it, but before I asked to keep the car they were going to give me like $1800, after I decided to keep it my check ended up being $2000.

it happened to me once, the way the insurance company explained it to me was that they were going to have to dump the piece of junk on someone and the fact that you let them dump it on you saved them money. you basically acted as a junk dealer with low bid, even though you did not bid. the agent told me that alot of companies will not do this for the owner cause they are clueless. of course that is what happened to me and may not be what happened to you. you would have to ask the company.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by doug
it happened to me once, the way the insurance company explained it to me was that they were going to have to dump the piece of junk on someone and the fact that you let them dump it on you saved them money. you basically acted as a junk dealer with low bid, even though you did not bid. the agent told me that alot of companies will not do this for the owner cause they are clueless. of course that is what happened to me and may not be what happened to you. you would have to ask the company.

My insurance company sell's their totaled cars to foriegn nationals that operate in 3rd world country's that don't have or don't enforce safety laws. So they do make some money on them. When he told me this I just couldn't picture my car running around some 3rd world country:huh: Still I had no idea that someting like that was going on, but it made perfect sense to me.

ALTERED4
07-04-2003, 12:04 PM
well i almost crapped in my pants after the insurance called me back and told me my car was worth 2100 dollars... to think i probably couldn't have sold the for more than 1000 dollars... besides, the car ran great, but nothing on it was really working, except for maybe the ac i just fixed...

stizle
07-04-2003, 12:53 PM
i psoted a thread talkin bout an accident that just happened to me. I hav enever been in an accident before and i was wondering are they gonna try to junk my car cause i have put to much into it for that to happen.
the guy's insurance comp. did not get in touch wit me yet and i didnt get an estimate because im gonna have to tow the car but what is going to happen im nervous as well as pissed off.

ALTERED4
07-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by stizle
i psoted a thread talkin bout an accident that just happened to me. I hav enever been in an accident before and i was wondering are they gonna try to junk my car cause i have put to much into it for that to happen.
the guy's insurance comp. did not get in touch wit me yet and i didnt get an estimate because im gonna have to tow the car but what is going to happen im nervous as well as pissed off.

it all depends, how bad is the damage to the car? right after my accident, i towed the car on my brother's flatbed to a local bodyshop to get a quick estimate... they quoted me 1600 dollars for labor alone, this did not include parts and paint (labor for paint also not included)... so i knew at that point that if i let the insurance fix the car, the car would be totaled... you gotta figure the value of the car is around 1500 dollars... if the repair bill goes over that (im sure it will) the insurance will total the car. they will pay you what they feel the car is worth, minus the detuctible, so you may get as little as a grand...

if your 3g is that important you, by reading your post, im sure it is, you always have the option of buying the car back... some insurance companies will charge you as little as 100 dollars, while others can charge considerably more... at this point you'll have to realize that your car is now "salvage" and will have to be re-registered as salvage... you also have to take into account that now, with a salvage title, your car will be worth close to nothing... some insurance companies will not insure a salvaged car...

you now have the option of doing all the repairs, which unfortunately will have to come out of your pocket... are you really going to want to spend hundreds, perhaps thousands on a car that is now not worth more than 100 dollars? especially when you consider there are many 3g's available for much less than the costs of the repairs you will have to perform on your salvaged car... and when its all said and done, your car will still be worth 100 dollars, perhaps 200...

if you want your 3g that much (i sure did), buy it back... with the money you have left over from the payout, purchase another 3g... salvage what you can out of your crashed 3g, and sell whatever parts you can...

Justin86
07-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Well damn that sucks dude. But you should stick with the Honda family.

stizle
07-05-2003, 08:33 PM
that is real shitty i have put over 6 grand into my car. Doesnt that come into play some how. Whatif i took it to court and tried to fight it if they total it??

ALTERED4
07-08-2003, 02:16 PM
i took possesion of the new beater today... she's a 2001 lx with 16,500 miles... unlike my old lxi, everything works on this one, still has some of the new car smell, but the new accord does not have the personality my old lxi had... it will take some time to get used to...

im going to miss the daily oil puddles on the garage floor, and the "whats next on the list to fix this week" routine... no more monthly trips to the junkyard... :crying: