PDA

View Full Version : my headlights are trippin!

charlesb2003
07-02-2003, 07:59 PM
this is weird... last nite i was driving around and i parked and turned my lights off and they stayed up. that's happened before when it's wet, but it wasn't rainin yesterday. well i was sittin there fussin at my car and they just went down. then when i got home it did the same thing. i tried turning them on and off and i also played with the little switch that lets u keep them up.. i clicked it a few times and they wouldn't go down for nothin so i just left it like that. this mornin i got up and they were down. and just now i went outside to move my car and turned the lights on.. when i turned them off they went down about an inch and stopped so i'm like :wtf: and i get out to look at them. when i bent down to look closer they dropped another inch and about a second after that they went all the way down. what's up with that?!? they always go up with no trouble.. it's just goin down thats the problem lately. HELP!!!

89AcCOrDmike
07-02-2003, 08:04 PM
my only guess is that maybe your headlight motors are burning out and , but i'im not really sure thats some weird shit

charlesb2003
07-02-2003, 08:31 PM
i thought about that.. but if it was the motors would they both do exactly the same thing? wouldn't one prolly break and the other one would work? they move together so i'm thinkin its somethin electrical like maybe a short somewhere...

is there a relay or somethin that controls the motors?

x3r0
07-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by charlesb2003
i thought about that.. but if it was the motors would they both do exactly the same thing? wouldn't one prolly break and the other one would work? they move together so i'm thinkin its somethin electrical like maybe a short somewhere...

is there a relay or somethin that controls the motors?

Check the manual for your car (you can buy them at autozone or parts store.) if your looking for relays and stuff.

My headlights would trip out when my alternator was messed up, except theyd take longer to go down, and go down one at a time. Weird.

cdscowboy
07-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by charlesb2003
this is weird... last nite i was driving around and i parked and turned my lights off and they stayed up. that's happened before when it's wet, but it wasn't rainin yesterday. well i was sittin there fussin at my car and they just went down. then when i got home it did the same thing. i tried turning them on and off and i also played with the little switch that lets u keep them up.. i clicked it a few times and they wouldn't go down for nothin so i just left it like that. this mornin i got up and they were down. and just now i went outside to move my car and turned the lights on.. when i turned them off they went down about an inch and stopped so i'm like :wtf: and i get out to look at them. when i bent down to look closer they dropped another inch and about a second after that they went all the way down. what's up with that?!? they always go up with no trouble.. it's just goin down thats the problem lately. HELP!!!

:lol:lol Your car's possessed!!! hahaha The lights are like "hey, look, he's walking away...let's really piss him off!!" :lol

It kinda sounds like they're not getting a good electrical connections...a short as mentioned. Check the wiring. Is anything else doing anything wierd? Or just the lights? Also, check that switch that makes them stay up...see if there's something screwy with it and also the wire harness that connects to it. If there's not a good connection, they won't go down. Good luck :)

jlaccord89lxi
07-03-2003, 05:32 PM
GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!G ROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!GROUND!
Check the light motors and make sure they are getting grounded properly and sufficiently. I've owned 2 3geez and an integra and if there was ever an electrical problem, i would check the ground and 9 times out of 10, that was the problem.

charlesb2003
07-05-2003, 10:37 AM
thanks for all the replys. i checked all the connections today and they all look good. as far as the ground, all i could find on the motors was a little wiring harness going to each of them. is the ground one of those wires? everything looked good on those... or is it grounded to the frame thru the bolts?

it's working fine now on this hot dry sunny day, but i'm betting next time it rains at night it'll do it again...

charlesb2003
07-05-2003, 10:39 AM
ohh.. and welcome to the board x3r0!

jlaccord89lxi
07-05-2003, 02:52 PM
the black wire would be the ground.

charlesb2003
07-05-2003, 04:28 PM
well in that case the ground looks good. i took that little connector off on both of the motors and there was no corrosion or anything and the wires all look good. unless it's further up the harness...