PDA

View Full Version : Painting FI valve cover

4DoorAccordDX
07-03-2003, 07:21 AM
I have a carbed DX, but I have been thinking about going to a U-Pull It and getting a valve cover off an LX-i and painting it so my engine bay can look pretty like the rest of yours. My questions is: How do you do it? I know it would be way easy to just pressure wash it and then rattle can whatever color I want, but how do you guys mask off the "H" and the horizontal lines so well? Is it time consuming or fairly easy and quick. Or do you just paint everything and then take a gasket scraper and scrap of those areas? I can't imagine that would work too well though because you would probably chip and scrap off paint you didn't want too. If you could give me a little heads up on how to make it look as pretty as all yours I would appreciate. I just want a little cleaner look. I did the Civic air box adapter thing, and now I have those two studs just sticking up outta my valve cover and it looks kinda tacky.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

Sabz5150
07-03-2003, 07:30 AM
I used "Rattle-can" spray paint stripper on my cover and then pressure washed the slop it made right off. As for the H and the lines, I used a razor and sliced the paint off of what I wanted. Not scraping, rather like peeling it off like an apple :tongue:

HostileJava
07-03-2003, 11:52 AM
I haven't done my Valve Cover yet. But I've done things like it. What I do is spray a light coat on that you can see through, let it dry. Spray a coat till it's glossy and then wipe off the area's that stick up with a damp cloth. Comes out great if your careful.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorAccordDX
I have a carbed DX, but I have been thinking about going to a U-Pull It and getting a valve cover off an LX-i and painting it so my engine bay can look pretty like the rest of yours. My questions is: How do you do it?

Like so many questions you can think to ask here, running a search would have given you the answer.

Go to this thread where the same question was asked before. Look down till you find my post, you'll find the answer. I did the work once, I won't retype it. If you have any questions after reading my post, go ahead and ask in the this thread.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13415&highlight=valve+cover+painting

[edit] look for my post inside this thread to (forgive me if its the 1st page of the above link, I didn't check).

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6024

iloveJDMblackrims69
07-04-2003, 10:42 PM
sweet........that razor idea.......good idea

Mike's89AccordLX
07-04-2003, 10:45 PM
The best way to get the H and lines unpainted is to get a block of wood and put sand paper on it and then gently sand over them and get a higher grit each time.