PDA

View Full Version : Painting bumpers

4DoorAccordDX
07-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Ok, I don't know what the owner of my car before me did, but it looks as if they tried to paint the bumpers the same color as the car. If that is the case, they did a horrible job. It looks as if they used interior paint outta the bucket and most of it ran off before it could dry on. I am definetely gonna paint the back one, probably a flat or semi-gloss black. The front bumper is tweeked a bit, so I might try to go find a bumper from an 88 and throw that on there. What kind of paint do I need to get? Is there a certain kind or will anything out of a rattle can do the job? Also, if i get an 88 bumper, what all do I need to make it work? I'm not sure if my bumper is bent or if it is the mounting brackets or what, but the passenger side hange down about 3/4"-1". It's pretty ugly. If you could give me some help on what type of paint, how to paint, and what is involved with switching bumpers I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

krott5333
07-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Most auto parts stores actually have something called "bumper paint", but if you can't find something that matches, just use regular automotive paint.

Silver86LX
07-03-2003, 07:28 PM
I was in the same situation when I first got my Accord. The previous owner had painted the bumpers the same colour as the car and they looked like shit. So I went out and got some 200 grit sand paper and sanded them. I sanded the paint until it was rough and then scrubbed them clean. I then primed the bumpers (use a primer that has a flex agent in it or that can be used on trim and bumpers). After that I painted them flat black with some bumper paint. It came out quite well IMO and was worth all of the work.
Good luck on your painting!