PDA

View Full Version : axle bearings

wprocomp
07-03-2003, 08:59 AM
Ok I get home the other day and my wheels are smoking...shit,so I take my rim off thinking its a frozen caliper...its not its my hub bearings...so I remove the brakes and all and get to the hub but the damn thing rotates when I try to take of the large nut in the center of the hub,what is a good way to keep it from spinning? also to replace the bearings does the whole axle assembly have to come out? and If the worn bearings scored the inside of the hub will it need replacing too?

dj99
07-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Put the wheel back & lower it back to the ground on to loosen the axle nut.

The bearing has to be pressed out & back in again, so unless you have special equipment to do it on the car, you have to remove the entire steering knuckle. You may as well check the upper & lower ball joints for wear while you have it removed from the car.

SiR
07-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
Ok I get home the other day and my wheels are smoking...shit,so I take my rim off thinking its a frozen caliper...its not its my axle bearings...so I remove the brakes and all and get to the axle but the damn thing rotates when I try to take of the large nut in the center of the axle,what is a good way to keep it from spinning? also to replace the bearings does the whole axle assembly have to come out? and If the worn bearings scored the inside of the hub will it need replacing too?

Your bearings would be making a lot of noise before going out. Its your calipers frozen.

wprocomp
07-03-2003, 07:14 PM
damn I think I screwed up...I took the hub and tried to hammer it from behind to get it off...well that did not work,I probaly screwed it up..then I got a puller vice and tried to use that but all it did was push the center where the nut was inside...what have I done? please help...

wprocomp
07-04-2003, 04:49 PM
anyways I got it fixed,bearings were definitly out..race was still stuck to the hub,so I got it cut off and the hub was fine..well at least I know how to replace them now,thanks for the help:D

SiR
07-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by wprocomp
run was still stuck to the hub

What was still stuck to the hub?

wprocomp
07-06-2003, 06:19 PM
What was still stuck to the hub?
hehe..sorry I got in a rush to typed it wrong