PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Drain Plug

meangreenLXi
07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
:sadwave: Hey does anyone have a picture of the drain plug for the transmission fluid on the lxi automatic? I wanna change the fluid and in the owners manual, it shows the dipstick, but not the drain plug :wtf:

BITESIZE
07-03-2003, 11:54 AM
THE DRAIN PLUG IS ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE OF THE TRANNY. YOU CAN USE A SOCKET WRENCH TO UNLOOSEN THE DRAIN PLUG. JUST GRAB A SOCKET WRENCH AND IF IT WILL FIT IN THE PLUG, THEN THAT'S THE RIGHT ONE. :)

infecto
07-03-2003, 01:04 PM
*dies from all the caps* Yeah its not hard to miss it should be sticken off to the side towards the tire.

88' Accord Ltd
07-03-2003, 01:22 PM
The correct size of wratchet is 3/8! :)

Mike's89AccordLX
07-03-2003, 01:26 PM
I know this isn't about the drain plug but can someone tell me where the fill plug is? I looked around and found the drain plug but didn't see the fill plug. Pics would be fricken awesome :super:

Darkside
07-03-2003, 01:37 PM
It's on the top of the tranny on the passangers side. The bolt is like an inch wide but the head is small like 12mm. This is only true on 88-89 accords. My advise is to loosen that first then drain the tranny. Mine got stuck after I drained some fluid and I had to drive in just 1st second and third untill I got an air chissel. That thing can be tough. Good luck. Has any one else put Lucus in their tranny it helps web the fluid up the gears. I like it I think. But it's not a drastic difference. Darkside

SiR
07-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Its on the bottom of the tranny, use a 1/2 socket only to loosen it.

BITESIZE
07-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Just like I said. That's right where I said it was. And the size of socket, who cares, as long as it fits. :)

meangreenLXi
07-05-2003, 05:59 AM
Hey, everything worked out great. The car performes better by leaps and bounds. On take off, i could feel the gears changing as the car jerked switching from first to second to third, now it's seemless. 3geez members and 3geez Forum, (wiping a tear from my eye) words can't express my gratitude for the information from the members and this site :bow: :bow: :bow:

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-05-2003, 07:20 AM
i found where to check the level on my lxi, but it was like reall dark and almost black. yeah i need to replace it. to fill it i have to get under the car? ok, and it's best to loosen the check nozzle? if you're under the car how do you POUR the fluid in? anyway, i'm gonna have to get my dad's ramps to get under it. i've got this to do, flush my rad. , replace fuel filter and replace the valve cover gasket. haha, boy i've got some work to do. wheeeee!!!!!!!!

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-08-2003, 04:35 PM
can someone please answer my question?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

wthramann
07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
I add from above with a piece of garden hose and funnel. As noted above loosen fill plug BEFORE draining. My directions for my 5 speed:
1. With transmission oil at operating temperature, engine OFF, and car on level ground, jack up front end, apply breaker bar with 17 mm socket to oil fill plug. Face toward rear of vehicle in crouching position to loosen plug.
2. Remove drain plug and drain transmission (3/8inch drive). Lower car. New washer optional torque to 29 lb-ft. I only torque the fill plug to 40 lb-ft, service manual says 51.
Of the tasks you mention this can be the most challenging-getting that fill plug out can be a back breaker.

infecto
07-08-2003, 07:24 PM
You add the fluid where you checked it.

meangreenLXi
07-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Yeah on my automatic, I just put the ATF where I checked it at.

89LxiAg
07-09-2003, 05:15 PM
That's right, for automatic transmissions you'll add new fluid into the same hole that you replace the dipstick in. As for manual transmissions, you will have to get under the car and fill the transmission as wthramann described above. Please note that they use different types of fluid (auto. trans. fluid for auto. trans. and engine oil, commonly 10W-30, for manual trannies)

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-10-2003, 04:00 AM
yeah i was at the local honda dealership, and i saw the bottles of ATF. they are 1 quart bottles if i remember correctly. how much does it take to fill the tranny? thanks for the help guys.

meangreenLXi
07-10-2003, 05:13 AM
My automatic took about 3 bottles exactly, because you cant totally drain all the fluid in the lines throughout the transmission system. The first drain I added all three bottles and it was a little over the full limit on the dipstick, I ran that in the transmission for three days and then drained it out and refilled but the second time I left about 7oz out of the third bottle and that was perfect. The fluid level was right about full on the dipstick, slightly under the full line.