PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover...

Silver86LX
07-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I'm in the process of changing my valve cover gasket and grommets, but I can't get my valve cover off. I've unscrewed the three screws, disconnected my PCV tube and it still won't come off. Is there anything else that I missed? I also tried getting the old grommets off but they're stuck on there too.

Thanks in advance.

adams86lxi
07-03-2003, 02:19 PM
I just changed my valve cover gasket and grommets because my valve cover was leaking badly! I didn't seem to have any trouble getting it off, except I had to give it a few big tugs. You didn't miss anything. Try prying it open with a flathead screw driver I wouldn't be worried about messing up the goasket with the screwdriver since you are replacing it. Try that with the grommets too. If that dosen't work I dont know whats wrong with it, But good luck!!!:)

carotman
07-03-2003, 02:43 PM
you could gouge the head with a flat screwdriver... be really careful of the valve cover gasket will never seal again....

yank on it really hard and it should come off

adams86lxi
07-03-2003, 02:52 PM
he's right be very careful if you use a flathead screwdriver. Just keep on yanking on it!

wthramann
07-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Take the oil filler cap off and use the opening for a grip point to pull the cover off. I would use the small screwdriver on the grommets and be sure I tried every other option before trying it on the cover.

jlaccord89lxi
07-03-2003, 05:27 PM
isn't there a few more nuts around the back side of the cover???????????? its late and i don't feel like going out in the driveway and stepping all over a bunch of june-bugs or i would go check for myself.

Silver86LX
07-03-2003, 06:29 PM
It's okay, I got it off. I used a rubber mallet to losen it a bit. Then I took the oil cap off and gave it a few yanks and then it came lose. Thanks for all of the advice though!

zero.counter
07-03-2003, 07:59 PM
The timing chain cover needs to be removed and there you will have access to the other side of the cover from which you can pry (carefully preferrably with something which wont break or mar the seal) up after loosening the bolt which is hidden there.