PDA

View Full Version : A/C Stalls car?

krott5333
07-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Well, when I bought my car, the guy that sold it to me told me that the A/C doesnt work... so i just never used it.. today i figured, better try it out, so i was sitting there, car running, and push the A/C button, and it stalled out.. when i got it started again, it was making a hissing sound. So I sat for 5 minutes, restarted, everything was fine..

Whats wrong?

I'm probably just gonna remove the A/C anyway, but what if I remove the A/C, and someone pushes that button, will it do anything?

zero.counter
07-03-2003, 08:04 PM
The compressor is seizing and drawing mucho current from the electrical system and overloading the alternator, quite possibly. An indicator of a failing or faulty compressor that is. The hissing may be a punctured line and tells you that the system has not been properly evacuated.
If you remove the a/c and push the button, nothing will happen, it will highlight green and thats that.

A20A1
07-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Is your car carbed? On a carbed motor a vacuum valve is opened when the A/C is on in order to raise the idle... if the vacuum line to the valve is missing or leaking then it would give you a vacuum leak whenever the A/C was in operation.

but the fisrt suggestion sounded about right... seeing as you haven't used the A/C for a long time the bearings could be stuffed..

shepherd79
07-04-2003, 03:51 PM
that is what happened to me. stupid compressor got locked up.