PDA

View Full Version : On vacation but my brake pads are f**ked!!

89AccordLXI666
07-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Ok I am away for the 4th of July weekend... I drove my 86 Honda Accord LX 5speed.... well n e ways... I noticed the brake pads were worn... and I can kinda hear the metal part of the pads grinding with the disk... well I can still stop but I'm affraid to screw up my rotors if I drive it too long like that.... I do however have to go back home tonight due to working tomorrow morning.... now I will be mostly be doing highway driving so as long as I'm at a constant speed I won't really be using the brakes, unless I have to go off the off ramp.... now how much longer is it safe to drive like that... well obviously it isn't safe, but how long before I do serious damage to the rotors... cuz I don't want that 2 happen..... And what type of brake pads should I get? Should I get high performance racing brake pads or what? If n e one can help me that would be great... and also is this going to be a pain in the ass to do my self to replace it? Thanx guy's and Happy 4th of July Everyone... Lataz... :super:

POS carb
07-04-2003, 03:45 PM
well once the pad is gone so is your rotor after another day of driving... are you sure it's the shoe rubbing and not just the indicator?

krott5333
07-04-2003, 04:07 PM
even if it is the rotors, rotors arent much moola, just buy new rotors... hell, if you got a lil extra cash get the drilled and slotted ones.. hehehe

89AccordLXI666
07-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Well It acually turned out to be the brake pads n the rotors survived, thank god it did...lol but now heres another question... ok here it goes.... I already replaced the brake pads.... and they were put on correctly I assume, now the thing I noticed was, on the front right passengers side tire... I notied smoke was coming from where the bake pad is located.... is it smoking cuz the pad needs 2 be broken in or what??? Thanx again for the help... Lataz :wave:

infecto
07-06-2003, 12:23 PM
First of all did you get the rotors turned or replaced that is a pretty important part after you replace the pads. And smoke coming from the pads? That really doesn't sound good at all lol maybe a large buildup of pad dust and dirt? But I wouldn't think that would cause smoke....something is definetly not right.

'A20A3'
07-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
Well It acually turned out to be the brake pads n the rotors survived, thank god it did...lol but now heres another question... ok here it goes.... I already replaced the brake pads.... and they were put on correctly I assume, now the thing I noticed was, on the front right passengers side tire... I notied smoke was coming from where the bake pad is located.... is it smoking cuz the pad needs 2 be broken in or what??? Thanx again for the help... Lataz :wave:

same thing happened to mine after i got my AEM pads put on. break them in and everything will be straight.

89AccordLXI666
07-08-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah it's not smoking any more so I take it they finally broke in so I'm not worried any more... the car is running fine now... well 4 the most part...lol now I need to get a whole new exhaust from the flexpipe starting after the manifold all the way back... cuz I think I have a leak in the gasket in the flex pipe so it sounds like absolute shit.... n then I wanna throw back my brospeed muffler back on so it sounds nice n loud...lol I wonder how much it's gonna run me for a whole new exhaust and have them weld on my aftermarket exhaust, I wonder how much that is gonna cost... n e one have a figure on prices here or how much they paid for a whole new exhaust?? That would be great... thanks guys.. Lataz