PDA

View Full Version : replacing fuel filter

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-05-2003, 07:13 AM
i've not found on here how to replace the fuel filter on the 89 lxi. where is it under the car, part number, and what will i need to remove and install a new one. thanks for the help.

AZmike
07-05-2003, 07:55 AM
It's on the passenger side of the firewall. You remoce a clamp bolt and two banjo bolts and replace the black canister that is about the size of an oil filter. Just follow the fuel line back from the fuel rail and you'll see it.

Sabz5150
07-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Its this, sans the gauge.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=206465

bobafett
07-05-2003, 11:13 AM
i thought the guage went on the fpr, oh wait, maybe youre not the person with the cosmo adjustable FPR, it might be starter. :D

lol. are there any precautions you have to make, or can you just unclamp everything without gas spilling out/? i need to change mine, but the new filter has just been sitting around in my closet lol

Justin86
07-05-2003, 12:23 PM
How much are those filters cause I need one but I don't have a lot of money until I get paid.

AZmike
07-05-2003, 05:44 PM
I got a FRAM at autozone for about $20. The washers it came with were the wrong size, but the old ones worked fine. You will definitely spill a little fuel. There's a 12 mm bolt on top of one of the fittings. Loosening it a few turns will relieve the fuel pressure and leak a little bit. When you disconnect the supply lines you may spill a bit also.

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-06-2003, 08:21 AM
is it a good idea to have some kind of container underneath it to catch what fuel may come out? as a fire safety precaution of course.

AZmike
07-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Just work in an open area. It's not a lot of fuel--it will evaporate in a few minutes. Just give it some time before trying to start the car.

Sabz5150
07-06-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
i thought the guage went on the fpr, oh wait, maybe youre not the person with the cosmo adjustable FPR, it might be starter. :D

lol. are there any precautions you have to make, or can you just unclamp everything without gas spilling out/? i need to change mine, but the new filter has just been sitting around in my closet lol

That's Starter... I have the Vortech FPR goin' on. I would have gone Cosmo but the whole foot of fuel line between the regulator and the rail turned me off quick.

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-07-2003, 01:51 PM
will this be a job were i have to get under the car? will i be able to access it easily from the top? thanks for clearing this up.

wthramann
07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
From above

89accord_lxi_coupe
07-08-2003, 04:30 PM
i went under the hood today and looked at it. there is like one hose that can be in the way some what. i only saw two hoses that connected to it, are there more and if so where? i went to West Side Honda today, very nice dealership, and talked to their parts department. I found they have the fuel filter, in stock, for 22.50. same amount i found at autozone. thanks for helping me with this guys. will i need an adjustable wrench or a socket for this job? how long should it take to remove and install the new one?

wthramann
07-08-2003, 05:25 PM
I use open end wrench for banjo bolts. Releasing the pressure by loosening the hex bolt on top may be done with a socket. I just place a shop rag around it as it only releases a few drops of gas. The job should take less time than it takes to change your oil.